Pages: 1

TommyB
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/04/14
Send PM

Inconsistent MAME 153 performance issue with 4K display
#326557 - 06/04/14 06:43 AM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading. I am having a problem with poor frame rates on simple, low res games like Pac Man and Donkey Kong (showing an autoframeskip setting between 7 and 8 ), yet perfect performance in other higher resolution games, particularly Midway games like Tapper, Timber, Pigskin Football, Discs of Tron, Rampage, etc. Those games all run flawlessly with a 0/10 autoframeskip rate displayed. If anything, I would expect the opposite to be true.

I have a fairly high end PC (i5 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, GTX 660 Ti graphics) that I have hooked up to a Seiki 50" 4K display. I have the graphics card set to a custom non-scaled resolution of 2160x2160, which the Seiko display centers in its 3840x2160 display.

Can anyone suggest a setting or config value that I should check that might fix this? I have tried a ton of different things, including disabling HLSL, toggling triple frame buffering, disable vsync waiting, etc. None of them had any noticeable effect on the performance.

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: Inconsistent MAME 153 performance issue with 4K display new [Re: TommyB]
#326573 - 06/04/14 08:07 PM

I bought a 7 series are card for the 4k support. I don't know for 100%, but the 6 series wasn't supposed to support that resolution. However, a driver change may have gotten around that. So your YMMV with that card.

That having been said, I've noticed some weirdness on 4k display too. It's been a while since I messed with things, but you might try disabling the v-sync in the drivers/nvidia control panel. I know I had to do that for AAE because of the 30hz refresh rate, but I think disabling it in MAME works as you would expect (which you already tried).

I have everything torn apart as I'm actually starting my build. But, If I get some time in the next few days I'll see if I can fire things up and take a look at my performance and see if I can offer anything more to help you out.

TommyB
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Inconsistent MAME 153 performance issue with 4K display new [Re: lamprey]
#326575 - 06/04/14 09:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will check the vsync settings in the Nvidia control panel to see if it makes a difference. I hadn't thought of that.

As far as handling the 4K resolution, the GTX 660 Ti seems to be just fine with it, at least when driving the 2160x2160 custom resolution that I've set up. Hyperspin looks really spectacular on it for the most part, without any obvious hesitation or frame skipping.

I got the system from my son, and it had quite a bit of viruses and malware on it. I tried to clean all that up, but there may be some stuff in there still causing problems. I'm going to try swapping out the system drive this weekend and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 and the latest Mame and test it again.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

#326577 - 06/04/14 09:13 PM

Going slightly off topic, something I have wondered ever since seeing a 4K TV myself, is this.

In essence, taking into regard the insane number of pixels for a TV, a 4K TV = PC monitor (but on a larger scale) yes?

TommyB
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Inconsistent MAME 153 performance issue with 4K display new [Re: zambr]
#326578 - 06/04/14 09:39 PM

Yes you are correct. For all intent and purposes, it is a 3840x2160 display.

I connected an HDMI cable from my PC graphics card to the TV and it is fantastic, except for the 30Hz (30 fps) updating. FYI, most of the 4K displays will be limited to 30 frames per second until the HDMI 2.0 spec is finalized and integrated into the displays. So it isn't so good for first person shooter games that typically require a 60 fps or higher display rate. However it is really nice for typical work in Windows.

If you're considering using one as a PC display, I would suggest you check out the 39" 4K display from Seiki, model number SE39UY04. Amazon currently has it for $399. The 50" would be too big to sit right in front of and work on for extended periods of time in my opinion. It would be like watching a tennis match. :-)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#326588 - 06/05/14 12:38 AM

> I connected an HDMI cable from my PC graphics card to the TV and it is fantastic,
> except for the 30Hz (30 fps) updating. FYI, most of the 4K displays will be limited
> to 30 frames per second until the HDMI 2.0 spec is finalized and integrated into the
> displays. So it isn't so good for first person shooter games that typically require a
> 60 fps or higher display rate. However it is really nice for typical work in Windows.

I have a 31.5" Dell 4k display. It costs about ten times what a TV does, but it's worth it. It can do 60 frames per second at full resolution over DisplayPort, and it does 30-bit colour in Adobe RGB space so it's great for critical photo work.

TommyB
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Inconsistent MAME 153 performance issue with 4K display new [Re: lamprey]
#326599 - 06/05/14 05:40 AM

WOOT!

You were exactly right about the Nvidia Control Panel vsync option. Setting it to "Off" fixed the problem!

For anyone else that runs into this, I opened the Nvidia Control Panel and went to the "Manage 3D Settings" panel. The "Vertical Sync" option was at the bottom of the "Global Settings" list. I changed it from "Use the 3D application setting" to "Off" and BAM! Every Mame game I've tried so far is running at full speed and showing "auto 0/10 100%" when I check the frameskip status. I may have to tweak that on a per-application basis later, but it is great to find the problem source.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and suggest that!

Tommy

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3135