MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Help hanging a ceiling fan in my crazy house?
#326226 - 05/25/14 04:23 PM

Paging italie...

So I'm trying to hang a ceiling fan in my kids' room. I took the existing electrical box out to put in a fan-rated box. I ended up having to go up in the crawlspace, because I couldn't get the hanger out from down below. So it turns out the joists where I need to put the box are more than 24" apart, I guess because they had to clear a chimney. There are 1x4 straps across the gap there, which is what the sheetrock is attached to, and the hanger for the original box was screwed into these.

Can I just put more substantial boards between the joists (where the 1x4s are) and attach the bar for my fan box to these? What size board should I use, and what's the best way to attach it?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Help hanging a ceiling fan in my crazy house? new [Re: DMala]
#326227 - 05/25/14 04:45 PM Attachment: fan.png 17 KB (0 downloads)

> Paging italie...
>
> So I'm trying to hang a ceiling fan in my kids' room. I took the existing electrical
> box out to put in a fan-rated box. I ended up having to go up in the crawlspace,
> because I couldn't get the hanger out from down below. So it turns out the joists
> where I need to put the box are more than 24" apart, I guess because they had to
> clear a chimney. There are 1x4 straps across the gap there, which is what the
> sheetrock is attached to, and the hanger for the original box was screwed into these.
>
> Can I just put more substantial boards between the joists (where the 1x4s are) and
> attach the bar for my fan box to these? What size board should I use, and what's the
> best way to attach it?

Don't attach to the furring strips (1x4 straps).

Two options:

1) If you can find a "Heavy fan support kit" with expansion over 24", go for it. Unlikely you will find one that length.

2) Install a few 2x8/10/12's (whatever your joist size is) perpendicular to the joists as shown below. This cross bracing will give you the strength you need, plus some. I'm surprised they hadn't already done this in a few placed on a span over 24".

You can then install a fan box between them like you mentioned. You can under-size these boards by 33% of your joist size, but I'd recommend keeping with whatever your joist dimensions are.

Note, if your joists are those glue-lam I-beam things popular today, I would add a thin sheet of plywood to the interior sides of the beam to give you something a little more substantial to nail the cross bracing into.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Help hanging a ceiling fan in my crazy house? new [Re: italie]
#326229 - 05/25/14 06:57 PM

> Two options:
>
> 1) If you can find a "Heavy fan support kit" with expansion over 24", go for it.
> Unlikely you will find one that length.
>
> 2) Install a few 2x8/10/12's (whatever your joist size is) perpendicular to the
> joists as show below. This cross bracing will give you the strength you need, plus
> some. I'm surprised they hadn't already done this in a few placed on a span over 24".
>
> You can then install a fan box between them like you mentioned. You can under-size
> these boards by 33% of your joist size, but I'd recommend keeping with whatever your
> joist dimensions are.
>
>
> Note, if your joists are those glue-lam I-beam things popular today, I would add a
> thin sheet of plywood to the interior sides of the beam to give you something a
> little more substantial to nail the cross bracing into.

OK, makes sense. One thing that's a little worrisome... the joists up there appear to be 1x7? They're solid boards, not I-beams, and I assume they date to 1900 when the house was built.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#326233 - 05/25/14 09:44 PM

> OK, makes sense. One thing that's a little worrisome... the joists up there appear to
> be 1x7? They're solid boards, not I-beams, and I assume they date to 1900 when the
> house was built.

Sounds like they are '2x8' I put that in quotes as that is the raw lumber size before they do anything to it (dry it, sand, plane, etc). Its interesting they actually finished it that much for roof joist work. Probably just what they had for the rest of the house and just kept using it. The standard sizes have changed around a few times so it would depend on how old the house is and where it was built.

http://jwlumber.info/page_display.php?id=41

Just follow italies diagram. I would suggest using something like a nail plates to keep it all in place. Should help with any wobble that may form from the fan.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_2186-166-JA1-TZ_...&facetInfo=

Does not have to be that one just something that makes sense and fits. Does not have to be pretty you can even go all the way thru the board if you feel like it

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Help hanging a ceiling fan in my crazy house? new [Re: lharms]
#326235 - 05/25/14 10:41 PM

Agreed, nail plates or simpson hangers are the way to go if you have them.

I'd just tie them with 2"x6" if your joists are odd dimension and you don't want to shave down a 2"x8". I'm in that same boat, my house was put up in 1921. There isn't a standard sized ANYTHING in that house.

Currently window shopping to replace the original sash. I have 24 windows. TWO are within 1" of the same size. The remaining 22 windows are a hodgepodge of shapes that make even the most patient of window salesmen cry.

> > OK, makes sense. One thing that's a little worrisome... the joists up there appear
> to
> > be 1x7? They're solid boards, not I-beams, and I assume they date to 1900 when the
> > house was built.
>
> Sounds like they are '2x8' I put that in quotes as that is the raw lumber size before
> they do anything to it (dry it, sand, plane, etc). Its interesting they actually
> finished it that much for roof joist work. Probably just what they had for the rest
> of the house and just kept using it. The standard sizes have changed around a few
> times so it would depend on how old the house is and where it was built.
>
> http://jwlumber.info/page_display.php?id=41
>
> Just follow italies diagram. I would suggest using something like a nail plates to
> keep it all in place. Should help with any wobble that may form from the fan.
> http://www.lowes.com/pd_2186-166-JA1-TZ_...&facetInfo=
>
> Does not have to be that one just something that makes sense and fits. Does not have
> to be pretty you can even go all the way thru the board if you feel like it

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

you live in an insane asylum? [nt] new [Re: DMala]
#326243 - 05/26/14 03:25 AM

"crazy house" j/k, in a silly mood atm.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: you live in an insane asylum? [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#326244 - 05/26/14 03:34 AM

> "crazy house" j/k, in a silly mood atm.

I have 2 year old twin boys, so... Yes.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#326245 - 05/26/14 03:49 AM

> Agreed, nail plates or simpson hangers are the way to go if you have them.

Good to know. I was going to try my hand at toenailing them, but this sounds a lot easier.

> I'd just tie them with 2"x6" if your joists are odd dimension and you don't want to
> shave down a 2"x8". I'm in that same boat, my house was put up in 1921. There isn't a
> standard sized ANYTHING in that house.

Done deal, 2"x6" acquired.

> Currently window shopping to replace the original sash. I have 24 windows. TWO are
> within 1" of the same size. The remaining 22 windows are a hodgepodge of shapes that
> make even the most patient of window salesmen cry.

Yep, I learned about odd window sizes trying to get wood blinds for a few windows.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#326248 - 05/26/14 04:24 AM

> Agreed, nail plates or simpson hangers are the way to go if you have them.
>
> I'd just tie them with 2"x6" if your joists are odd dimension and you don't want to
> shave down a 2"x8". I'm in that same boat, my house was put up in 1921. There isn't a
> standard sized ANYTHING in that house.
>
> Currently window shopping to replace the original sash. I have 24 windows. TWO are
> within 1" of the same size. The remaining 22 windows are a hodgepodge of shapes that
> make even the most patient of window salesmen cry.
>
>

ah good old 'kit' homes... Plus 80 years of 'other' work here and there and a bit of settling here and there.

Not that newer houses are much better. My sliding glass door all of the seal work has rotted out between the panes of glass. Thats a new one on me. But I get the siding off and the flashing is missing meaning more than just a rotted out sliding door...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#326297 - 05/28/14 04:07 AM

Mission accomplished. What a bitch working up in the crawlspace... cramped quarters, AC ducts in my way, and sweat pooling on the inside of my glasses, but I got it done.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1019