MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

[case closed] 1TB drive - part deux
#326133 - 05/23/14 12:00 AM

This shit is fighting me tooth and fucking nail. I wanted to replace my old system and data drives with a large drive. Should've taken a half-hour to install the drive, set partitions, and clone the fuck. I'm using Acronis True Image, and it has worked fine before.

But no, it took all day, and then there were hitches, and I had to use the Win7 repair function - a few times - first it was saying 'a device is not accessible', then this morning it was saying NTLDR.

Now it's getting stuck at 'preparing desktop', and finally goes to a blank off-blue screen with this little text lower-right that says 'this is not a genuine version of windows'..... Um, what??

So, does anyone have an idea what I should/need to do here?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: 1TB drive - part deux new [Re: Traso]
#326143 - 05/23/14 03:02 AM

Did you change the motherboard or the format? Like from NTFS to GPT? Sounds like either that, or you imaged using the universal restore function or something. Or were you in partition mode instead of disk mode? If all you were doing is cloning to a bigger HDD, you should never have had to run a repair or restore.

My task will be far more tricky. I'm both switching hardware and switching from bios to uefi, but I have a battle plan going in...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#326179 - 05/23/14 10:34 PM

> This shit is fighting me tooth and fucking nail. I wanted to replace my old system
> and data drives with a large drive. Should've taken a half-hour to install the drive,
> set partitions, and clone the fuck. I'm using Acronis True Image, and it has worked
> fine before.
>
> But no, it took all day, and then there were hitches, and I had to use the Win7
> repair function - a few times - first it was saying 'a device is not accessible',
> then this morning it was saying NTLDR.
>
> Now it's getting stuck at 'preparing desktop', and finally goes to a blank off-blue
> screen with this little text lower-right that says 'this is not a genuine version of
> windows'..... Um, what??
>
> So, does anyone have an idea what I should/need to do here?

Was the only change made a larger HD? Or did you update other components as well? Generally I always do a fresh install of Windows when moving to a new HD or changing major components but recently I was too lazy when upgrading from a 120 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and I used Clonezilla and had zero issues - the only thing I had to do was extend the partition size using GParted Live after cloning to the new drive. Then when I moved the 120 GB SSD to my girlfriends computer (replacing a mechanical HD) I also used Clonezilla and it worked perfectly there too. It may not be pretty but it's free and it was rock solid when I used it. I don't know if you still have your old HD around to give that a shot?

I don't know if it matters to your situation or not, but I don't use multiple partitions although I don't think Clonezilla would have any problems with multiple partitions.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#326182 - 05/23/14 11:54 PM

> But no, it took all day, and then there were hitches, and I had to use the Win7
> repair function - a few times - first it was saying 'a device is not accessible',
> then this morning it was saying NTLDR.

I am not familiar with Acronis, but I do know that for whatever reason, some cloning software does not clone the boot sector, rendering the clone unbootable. You can use your Windows install media to rebuild the boot sector, google for a how-to.

AFAIK, depending on what your license agreement says, Windows employs limitations on how many times you can change certain components in your PC, until it decides that you are trying to install Windows on a new PC. It seems strange that this should apply to hard drives but there you go. That might be what you are running into. No idea, I've never had this problem myself, feel free to guess why lol

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 1TB drive - part deux new [Re: Sune]
#326184 - 05/24/14 01:01 AM

> I am not familiar with Acronis, but I do know that for whatever reason, some cloning
> software does not clone the boot sector, rendering the clone unbootable. You can use
> your Windows install media to rebuild the boot sector, google for a how-to.
>
> AFAIK, depending on what your license agreement says, Windows employs limitations on
> how many times you can change certain components in your PC, until it decides that
> you are trying to install Windows on a new PC. It seems strange that this should
> apply to hard drives but there you go. That might be what you are running into. No
> idea, I've never had this problem myself, feel free to guess why lol
>
> S

I tried Acronis again, and same problem - NTLDR - even after Windows 'fixes' the problem - which is listed in the details as 'incorrect or corrupted partition table', that it says it fixed.

I think the problem is the original drive. I got this PC used with no drives. I stole the 250gb drive from my main arcade rig, which had XP. Also moved over was a 500gb data-dedicated drive, with a partition set aside for system if I needed it.

After a year or two, it started making noise, and so I switched to the 500gb drive exclusively.

Recently when I needed to go to 7, and I didn't want to wipe the XP partition on the 500gb drive, I pulled out the original 250 drive, wiped it, and installed 7. I've found it won't boot by itself - ONLY with the 500gb drive connected. Not any other drive, only that one. Fucking weird.

I might try Clonezilla, though I may have to fresh-install 7 on the 1TB, then migrate settings. Or just do that all from scratch. I've put in enough fuckin time that I could've done it already. Always the case, shit takes forever, which is why I avoid doing a lot of shit until I absolutely fucking have to.

Except cleaning. Cleaning is always easy, and always gets something done.

Edit: Oh, no. Clonezilla is some clusterfuck of non-gui mess. Jesus.

Edit 2: or maybe it's that 'WD' part in Acronis that won't write right to the target Seagate drive. Trying to get DiscWizard......

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#326186 - 05/24/14 03:32 AM

> Recently when I needed to go to 7, and I didn't want to wipe the XP partition on the
> 500gb drive, I pulled out the original 250 drive, wiped it, and installed 7. I've
> found it won't boot by itself - ONLY with the 500gb drive connected. Not any other
> drive, only that one. Fucking weird.

... that's probably because 7's install put the boot stuff in the XP drive.

It happened to me once. I just wiped both drives. :P

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#326200 - 05/24/14 03:37 PM

Can you post a screen shot of Disc Management from the configuration that boots?
Start orb > Run > diskmgmt.msc

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: 1TB drive - part deux new [Re: redk9258]
#326201 - 05/24/14 03:45 PM

You can also try this from a command prompt from a booted Windows install diac:
X:\Windows\System32\BCDBOOT C:\Windows

This is considering that your Windows install has the letter C when booted from the install disc.

This will recreate the BCD files on the ACTIVE partition.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#326209 - 05/24/14 08:32 PM Attachment: Computer + Disc Management.png 95 KB (0 downloads)

@Kitsune Sniper: um, it put the boot folder/file on the old XP installation? I don't see it, regardless.

> You can also try this from a command prompt from a booted Windows install diac:
> X:\Windows\System32\BCDBOOT C:\Windows
>
> This is considering that your Windows install has the letter C when booted from the
> install disc.
>
> This will recreate the BCD files on the ACTIVE partition.

It actually is listed as F: .......

Anyways, here's the images.....

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#326215 - 05/25/14 01:18 AM

I think your biggest problem is that you cloned the drive then booted with both drives connected. This fucks up the mounted devices registry key and you end up with drive letter conflicts / signature collisions.

From your picture. it looks like you are booted from the old drive and the new one took the letter J.

Open regedit. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > File menu, Load Hive. Browse to J:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM

It will ask to give it a name. Name it 123 or something easy. Now drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\123\MountedDevices and delete it. Now highlight the key 123 and Unload Hive.

Shut down your machine. disconnect the original drive and just leave the new one installed. Boot up your PC and it should end up with the letter C. You will have to reassign the other drive letters because Windows will recreate them.

Did that work?

Later you can connect the original drive and format it or whatever you want to do with it.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#326217 - 05/25/14 03:25 AM

> @Kitsune Sniper: um, it put the boot folder/file on the old XP installation? I don't
> see it, regardless.

That's what I think may have happened. I could be wrong, of course, so don't take what I say as 100% certain. I speak from previous experience with a similar situation.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#326264 - 05/26/14 07:28 PM

I ain't done it yet - because I tried something else - a trick, sure - and now I have to re-clone....

and True Image is fucking GAY. It says 'manual' - and then it arbitrarily sets the partition sizes - the original drive is 30gb plus 203, and TI says 'OH, WELL THAT MEANS THE NEW DRIVE OF 932GB MUST BE SET AT 117 AND 814!' - and it becomes a fucking puzzle to get them set up exactly how I want them, because it continually makes the remainder of each one a new unallocated partition that is UNERASABLE.

There's a reason I don't pay for shit. Cos I'd fucking kill the fucks whom I bought it from when it doesn't work right, and wipe their seed from the earth because it's possible their offspring might do it similarly stupidly!

But, stay tuned......

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#326269 - 05/27/14 12:21 AM

> I ain't done it yet - because I tried something else - a trick, sure - and now I have
> to re-clone....
>
> and True Image is fucking GAY. It says 'manual' - and then it arbitrarily sets the
> partition sizes - the original drive is 30gb plus 203, and TI says 'OH, WELL THAT
> MEANS THE NEW DRIVE OF 932GB MUST BE SET AT 117 AND 814!' - and it becomes a fucking
> puzzle to get them set up exactly how I want them, because it continually makes the
> remainder of each one a new unallocated partition that is UNERASABLE.
>
> There's a reason I don't pay for shit. Cos I'd fucking kill the fucks whom I bought
> it from when it doesn't work right, and wipe their seed from the earth because it's
> possible their offspring might do it similarly stupidly!
>
> But, stay tuned......

I think the problem might actually be you and not TrueImage, considering other people have had no trouble with it. I sure hope you aren't reproducing your breed of stupidity and plate love.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 1TB drive - part deux new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#326270 - 05/27/14 02:37 AM

> I think the problem might actually be you and not TrueImage, considering other people
> have had no trouble with it. I sure hope you aren't reproducing your breed of
> stupidity and plate love.

I know you do and would, and I'm quite fine with being squared away, cos then something would get fixed, and so on and so forth.....

but, alas, it doesn't seem to be the case, as I too have successfully used TI. Something is amiss that ain't me.... (By the way, I'm immortal, you know. I need no successors.)

So, I just installed 7 fresh. I've spent ten times as much energy, mentally and emotionally, as just doing it the manual way. Thank you all for your attention, assistance, help, and advice.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Addendum new [Re: Traso]
#326332 - 05/29/14 05:54 AM

So, there's cloning - and then there's migrating settings and files. I've never done this, but thought I'd see if it worked, and cut some bullshit. And by way of Windows Easy Transfer, it did - mostly.

Note that the article I found on it said to look for it via Start > Search - which found nothing. But as I'm a smart lad, I figured it might be in Start > Accessories > System Tools. It's a pretty straight-forward process, and allows full and specific migration of settings and files.

I did think of migration earlier on, but didn't research it, alas.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Addendum new [Re: Traso]
#326336 - 05/29/14 07:29 AM

But it does you no good at all if you're already on Windows 8.1 to move your files/data to a new Windows 8.1 install. 8.1 has no option of "this is my old PC"...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Addendum new [Re: URherenow]
#326347 - 05/29/14 07:19 PM

> But it does you no good at all if you're already on Windows 8.1 to move your
> files/data to a new Windows 8.1 install. 8.1 has no option of "this is my old PC"...

My first thought was 'bummer, dude'....and then I was all, 'what?.....um, doesn't that negate the function of the program?'.....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2463