MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

VLC Ho Lee Kow
#325886 - 05/13/14 04:00 AM Attachment: iClickMyBic.png 33 KB (0 downloads)

Ever tried to watch a downloaded foreign flick .mp4 with a subtitle .srt file?

It is a PITA.

Commercial stuff made for a profit by companies that want your computing dollars require you to get a media editor, open the mp4, merge the .srt, export the file anew, get askew and do. FUCK.

I just want to watch the thing... there must be something for free a bunch of obsessive fans have made as a hobby that is way better than the crap people who do it for a living do it.

Yes. VLC... an open source free media player.

A protester assists in the installation of VLC.

So how simple is it for me to now watch a foreign flick with subtitles?
Can you click a check-box?
(And as an added bonus, you can even treat the movie file as a pipe... and smoke it!)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: VLC Ho Lee Kow new [Re: GatKong]
#325887 - 05/13/14 04:09 AM Attachment: Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 23.09.05.png 117 KB (0 downloads)

> So how simple is it for me to now watch a foreign flick with subtitles?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Ya, and More! new [Re: Sune]
#325891 - 05/13/14 05:30 AM Attachment: donkeyHisKong.jpg 264 KB (0 downloads)

Hah! Super easy to make your own subtitles... can mess with any movie.

The possibilities!

I could see doing like a Mystery Science Theater style commentary and thought bubbles to movies.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#325893 - 05/13/14 10:11 AM

> So how simple is it for me to now watch a foreign flick with subtitles?
> Can you click a check-box?

Erm... Most media players supporting external subtitles automatically add any subtitle file with the same name as the movie playing.

VLC certainly does this. And many many other things. It's not as flashy as other players, at least not out-of-the-box (it's skinnable to death) and quite different to what I was used to, but once I tried it I never looked back.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

msbhvn
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/29/08
Loc: Teh Internet!!1
Send PM

Re: VLC Ho Lee Kow new [Re: Pi]
#325908 - 05/13/14 10:56 PM

Drag and drop a YouTube link onto the player. Then you can fix the aspect ratio if the uploader didn't specify 4:3.

Only thing that's really bad about VLC is if you add your own HDD folder locations to the Media Library rather than My Music, you have to delete and re-add them every time you make any changes to those folders. I suppose you could sym-link a folder within My Music, but that still doesn't make it any less stupid that there's no Update Media Library command.

Those guys at Narcotics Anonymous are assholes, I told them I have a 3 litre a day Coke habit and they kicked me out!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: VLC Ho Lee Kow new [Re: Pi]
#325909 - 05/13/14 11:32 PM

> Erm... Most media players supporting external subtitles automatically add any subtitle file with the same name as the movie playing.

Can you specify any? None of my currently installed MAC media players do this.
Quicktime
Media Player
Real Player
DivX

Googling .srt and mac, and the two solutions I've found are
1. Get VLC
2. Use third party video editing to merge the subtitles into a new .mp4 file which you then can watch, but now are unable to turn off the subtitles since they are a part of the actual video frames.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#325912 - 05/14/14 05:10 AM

> 1. Get VLC
> 2. Use third party video editing to merge the subtitles into a new .mp4 file which
> you then can watch, but now are unable to turn off the subtitles since they are a
> part of the actual video frames.

You don't have to do that. Subtitle files can be loaded separately with the movie or from the subtitles menu while the movie is playing.

If the .srt or .sub (or whatever, I think there are a couple of formats) file has the same name as the video file it will auto-load.

S

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#325913 - 05/14/14 10:07 AM

> Can you specify any? None of my currently installed MAC media players do this.

Ah sorry, there lies the problem. All the players I've tried in Windows have this feature with external subtitles. I think even Winamp does.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#325914 - 05/14/14 11:45 AM

Quicktime Player 7 and earlier can if you have appropriate Quicktime extensions installed, but they removed that functionality in Quicktime X.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1543