Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Anyone else here into Hydroponics or Aeroponics? <edit>
#325820 - 05/11/14 07:43 AM

Heck. Even Aquaponics (with fish)?

I've been trying to grow some tomatoes and hot peppers using hydroponics. But they're not 'taking off' like I expected they would... Then again, this is the first time I've ever done something like this. So maybe what's happening is normal.

The method I'm using is 2 plastic storage containers, 8 holes cut into each of the tops that hold 3" net pots with hydroton pebbles inside.

I have the containers filled with water to where about 1/2" of the net pots are submerged, with air-stones in the bottoms to oxygenate the water.

I'm aware of the drip methods, but I think that involves using a water pump with a timer. The above method seemed like less of a hassle.

Of course I have nutrient solutions. But I'm using tap water from a well. I'm seriously considering collecting rain water since the PPM ratio (purity?) is better. I may even try Aeroponics.... From what I've heard/read - plant growth is much faster.

Anyway, if anyone else here does this kind of thing - I'd be glad to hear what your setups are.

eta: Probably should've done what this guy did.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (05/15/14 12:50 AM)

LEVEL-4

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Anyone else here into Hydroponics or Aeroponics? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325833 - 05/11/14 03:11 PM

> Heck. Even Aquaponics (with fish)?
>
>
> I've been trying to grow some tomatoes and hot peppers using hydroponics. But they're
> not 'taking off' like I expected they would... Then again, this is the first time
> I've ever done something like this. So maybe what's happening is normal.

"Tomatoes"

"Hot peppers"

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Not into Hydroponies, Aeroponies, or any other kind. (nt) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325846 - 05/11/14 09:07 PM

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Aquabrony [nt] new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325854 - 05/12/14 06:59 AM

Nothing to see here, move along. I said [NT]

Oh well, since you clicked this or scrolled by it....

With the tomato plants I'll need to find a way to prop them up. Maybe I should transfer them to something else and just grow the pepper plants inside.

I did move 3 plants to my outside raised garden bed... The leaves turned white. AND some kind of pest is getting to them -munching on the leaves. But at least it's not any of the many rabbits running around the area.

I need a large mortar & pestle to crush up egg shells and put those on the outdoor plants. Or find a place that sells rock dust where I don't have to buy it by the pick-up load. I also have broccoli and green onions growing. Tried to grow some snow peas but those things seem to be very sensitive and delicate. Okra sprouted, but soon died. Maybe I planted them too early.

Decisions.

Frogger? Or Mr. Mister?

LEVEL-4

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: FTFY [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325884 - 05/13/14 03:30 AM

> Nothing to see here, move along. I said [NT]
>
> Oh well, since you clicked this or scrolled by it....
>
> With the "tomato" plants I'll need to find a way to prop them up. Maybe I should
> transfer them to something else and just grow the "pepper" plants inside.
>
>
> I did move 3 plants to my outside raised garden bed... The leaves turned white.
> AND some kind of pest is getting to them -munching on the leaves. But at least it's
> not any of the many rabbits running around the area.
>
>
> I need a large mortar & pestle to crush up "egg shells". Or find a place that sells "rock dust" where I don't have to buy it by the
> pick-up on 3rd. I also have "broccoli" and green growing. Tried to grow some "snow"
> but those things seem to be very sensitive and delicate. "Okra" sprouted, but soon
> died. Maybe I planted them too early.
>
> Decisions.
>
> Frogger? Or Mr. Mister?

FTFY

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Anyone else here into Hydroponics or Aeroponics? <edit> new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325977 - 05/17/14 04:45 PM

> Of course I have nutrient solutions. But I'm using tap water from a well. I'm
> seriously considering collecting rain water since the PPM ratio (purity?) is better.
> I may even try Aeroponics.... From what I've heard/read - plant growth is much
> faster.

I measured the PPM of my tap water... 330 PPM. Then measured the PPM of some rain water I collected.... 30 PPM! That is excellent!

I'll need to test the PH though, and adjust accordingly -if needed.

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Anyone else here into Hydroponics or Aeroponics? <edit> new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325980 - 05/17/14 07:15 PM

> > Of course I have nutrient solutions. But I'm using tap water from a well. I'm
> > seriously considering collecting rain water since the PPM ratio (purity?) is
> better.
> > I may even try Aeroponics.... From what I've heard/read - plant growth is much
> > faster.
>
>
> I measured the PPM of my tap water... 330 PPM. Then measured the PPM of some rain
> water I collected.... 30 PPM! That is excellent!

I measured the tap on my kitchen sink. It's dripping at exactly 72 BPM.

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#325986 - 05/17/14 10:52 PM

> > Of course I have nutrient solutions. But I'm using tap water from a well. I'm
> > seriously considering collecting rain water since the PPM ratio (purity?) is
> better.
> > I may even try Aeroponics.... From what I've heard/read - plant growth is much
> > faster.
>
>
> I measured the PPM of my tap water... 330 PPM. Then measured the PPM of some rain
> water I collected.... 30 PPM! That is excellent!
>
>
> I'll need to test the PH though, and adjust accordingly -if needed.

PPM should be referencing "parts per million," that is, how much of a certain contaminant is present in the water tested. It applies to everything, good or bad, individually, that is not water. Minerals, chemicals, bacteria, viruses, a list pages long.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1599