View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

I'm a genius!
#325404 - 04/30/14 12:43 AM Attachment: chair.jpg 203 KB (0 downloads)

Because I know smart people.

I was complaining that my kids keep leaving thier closet lights on... and my smart friend who hangs out with geniusi like me says "Why not swap that switch out for a motion sensor."

How much of a genius am I to have friends like that, right?

Dang.

Also... I bought an "hourglass" which I just timed and it runs for 61 minutes and 8 seconds. WTF! How much for an "about-an-hourglass" because I bet they are cheaper. I overpaid.

[/nonsequitur]

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: I'm a genius! new [Re: GatKong]
#325423 - 04/30/14 06:06 AM

> I was complaining that my kids keep leaving thier closet lights on... and my smart
> friend who hangs out with geniusi like me says "Why not swap that switch out for a
> motion sensor."

I assume the switch is in the room? If it were inside the closet, it seems like it would actually be a good idea. I dunno, I've never owned a closet big enough to need a separate light.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: I'm a genius! new [Re: DMala]
#325464 - 04/30/14 07:47 PM

> I've never owned a closet big enough to need a separate light.

Really? What part of the country are you in? I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a house or apartment that DIDN'T have lights in its closets.

Even as a kid, I can remember fishing around for that pull-string to turn on closet lights, and jacking the string right out of it's socket so you can't turn it off anymore.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#325466 - 04/30/14 07:54 PM

> > I've never owned a closet big enough to need a separate light.
>
> Really? What part of the country are you in? I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a
> house or apartment that DIDN'T have lights in its closets.
>
> Even as a kid, I can remember fishing around for that pull-string to turn on closet
> lights, and jacking the string right out of it's socket so you can't turn it off
> anymore.

Nearly all the closets in my home have two sliding doors and no light, being just deep enough to hang clothes in.
The bathroom and living room have standard doors, but those are also small and unlit. The bathroom closet is barely more than a full-height cabinet.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: I'm a genius! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325523 - 05/01/14 08:00 PM

> Nearly all the closets in my home have two sliding doors and no light, being just deep enough to hang clothes in. The bathroom and living room have standard doors, but those are also small and unlit. The bathroom closet is barely more than a full-height cabinet.

Yeah, basically any walk-in closet will have a light. Anything built before the 60s/has a swing door probly will.

Motion sensors are cool....but I find more often I want a light on when I want it on, not when it wants it on. I also have no problem walkin down the hall with the lights off. Every closet could do with a light, though, just for good measure.

Cool chair shadow. Don't scare me none.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#325543 - 05/02/14 05:00 AM

> > I've never owned a closet big enough to need a separate light.
>
> Really? What part of the country are you in? I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a
> house or apartment that DIDN'T have lights in its closets.

New England, mostly houses and apartments built between 1900 and the '70s. Like Triggerfin, most of the closets I've seen are shallow enough to be lit by the room light.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#325544 - 05/02/14 05:00 AM

When we bought our house, I put closet lights in 7 closets. They have pull strings and luckily have not broke one yet. I bought a 4" hole saw to make perfect holes for the remodel boxes I used. When I was drilling the last one, I hit a freaking nail and ruined the $25 hole saw.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I'm a genius! new [Re: redk9258]
#325545 - 05/02/14 05:28 AM

> When we bought our house, I put closet lights in 7 closets. They have pull strings
> and luckily have not broke one yet. I bought a 4" hole saw to make perfect holes for
> the remodel boxes I used. When I was drilling the last one, I hit a freaking nail and
> ruined the $25 hole saw.

That's luck. Unless you'd meant to do it eight times.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: I'm a genius! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325552 - 05/02/14 12:18 PM

Nope, got them all in.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: I'm a genius! new [Re: DMala]
#325557 - 05/02/14 04:55 PM

There's definitely regional differences in construction.

In Michigan... EVERYBODY has a full sized basement. In Texas NOBODY has a basement. In South Carolina all the houses I saw had mud rooms... which are super convenient and wish I had one here in Texas. In Chicago, all the houses have a dungeon. And I do miss the catacombs of Maine.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#325572 - 05/03/14 04:30 AM

> There's definitely regional differences in construction.
>
> In Michigan... EVERYBODY has a full sized basement. In Texas NOBODY has a basement.
> In South Carolina all the houses I saw had mud rooms... which are super convenient
> and wish I had one here in Texas. In Chicago, all the houses have a dungeon. And I do
> miss the catacombs of Maine.

It's interesting, having never lived more than 60 miles from where I was born. Stuff I take for granted, other people have never heard of. It seems like the US is becoming more and more homogeneous, but there are still lots of subtle differences.

The basement thing is purely climate. In the frozen north, you have to dig below the frost line, or the building will shift and heave. In warmer climates, basements are purely optional and not worth the cost for most people.

Around here, mud rooms are not super common, but not unheard of. I feel like it's a feature you find mostly on older (i.e. pre-20th century) houses.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1502