Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dougan78
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/28/14
Send PM

Issues with Mame and Aimtraks
#325344 - 04/28/14 05:50 PM

I have 2 Aimtraks. They work fine in windows. They work fine in other emulators. They work fine in mame with trigger and not when a red button is set to anything.

My config:

Trigger left mouse trig.
Red button right mouse.
Off screen trig right mouse.

When you go into mame it sets the gun x and y axis fine. When you set the buttons it sets both buttons as gun button 0. For instance if you set player 1 button 1 in mame to the trigger it shows as button 0. If you set player 1 button 2 to the red button it sets it as gun button 0. I know it sees the buttons as separate, well at least I think if you set player 1 button 1 to the trigger and red button it will show 2 separate entries for gun button 0. With both of them showing up 2 button games don't work right you shoot and reload at the same time.

What I have done:
- Tested with either gun same result.
- Tested different gun ids in aimtrack utility, same result.
- setting make cfg for the game manually setting player 1 button 2 to guncode button 1 instead of 0. This results in the red button doing nothing which seems logical as mame is pickup both buttons as button 0.
- reinstalling the devices via remove all usb related things from device manager, unplug plug back in.
- tested Controller Remap Utility on arcade controls site however this did not help as mame detects the buttons as gun button 0 setting the buttons to another button wont help as mame doesn't detect the gun button 1.
- tested mame 153
- tested mame 152

Now sometimes it will work and will work just on that session(as long as mame is running) so I know mame can detect it properly. I do not move the USB devices around nor does this computer get rebooted except on a rare occasion(and I have tested rebooting). Any help would be appreciated as I have been struggling with this for days. I thought it was the custom build of mame however it does this on any build of mame I use (currently just using the one off mamedev).

The issue appears to only be related to mame. I tested turning error logging on in mame and see a bunch of GUN R entries and do not know if that is the issue. I also tested debugging in mame however that seemed more for CPU than for inputs.

dougan78
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/28/14
Send PM

Re: Issues with Mame and Aimtraks new [Re: dougan78]
#325666 - 05/06/14 03:59 AM

I finally figured this out and I am posting this to help anyone else. In mame when you configure inputs it is generally a one size fits all approach for the regular games. When it comes to these light gun games I have found that is not the case. Using the non-direct input version of .153 in jumpstiles folder I have found that infact each game must be setup individually. I have 2 examples from my testing:

Area 51:
Enable lightgun input for this game via right click properties, controllers tab, check enable lightgun. This made BOTH my lightguns work if I checked DUAL lights guns stuff was not working, go figure. Next this game requires offscreen reload so be sure that is checked. Launch the game and configure the inputs accordingly. Remove Joystick checkbox. These are the only 2 checkboxes on this screen that need to be checked for this game.

Beast Wars:
Enable lightgun input for this game via right click properties, controllers tab, check enable lightgun. This made BOTH my lightguns work if I checked DUAL lights guns stuff was not working, go figure. Next this game does not require offscreen reload so be sure that is NOT checked. Launch the game and configure the inputs accordingly. Remove Joystick checkbox. There should only be 1 checkbox selected for this game and enable lightgun is it.

Apparently each game requires its own ini to work properly rather than relying on a default config. Why? I have no idea everything else in mame works with a default config I guess that is the difference between controllers and light gun support. Anyway I hope this helps someone else as I literally have done everything to get this working and finally found this to be the case for me and my setup and hope it can be for you too.

Cheers!

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6729