View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

So which IE do you recommend?
#325304 - 04/28/14 12:31 AM

My recent installation of Win7 Pro comes with IE11. The one thing I don't like about it is the tabs are above favorites bar. And I like having the google toolbar...though that isn't critical.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

None new [Re: Traso]
#325307 - 04/28/14 12:39 AM

All kidding aside, why do you want to use a toolbar? In IE 11 you can search directly from the address bar, just set Google to your default search engine.

Why do you need to use the Favorites bar? If it takes too much time to use the Favorites menu, you might want to work on your organization skills.

These things take up screen real estate and just make everything look busy.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: None new [Re: URherenow]
#325319 - 04/28/14 06:23 AM

> Why do you need to use the Favorites bar? If it takes too much time to use the
> Favorites menu, you might want to work on your organization skills.
>
> These things take up screen real estate and just make everything look busy.

In FF, I use the Bookmarks sidebar. The space it takes up is space that goes unused by most websites. It leaves me with a roughly 4:3 area, and most sites can still be zoomed in before they get crowded. Then there are the poorly designed ones with elements set to over 100% of the screen width.

But yes, as few horizontal bars as I can get away with: the tabs are in the title bar of course, and everything else, including the search bar (because you can choose the site/engine to search) in one small-icon bar. No status bar at the bottom, either. Widescreen made screen height to precious to squander on such things.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

So which browser do you recommend? new [Re: Traso]
#325322 - 04/28/14 06:59 AM

> My recent installation of Win7 Pro comes with IE11. The one thing I don't like about
> it is the tabs are above favorites bar. And I like having the google toolbar...though
> that isn't critical.

Firefox. But they seem to have recently melded into a 'Chrome-esque' look. Chrome, however, I didn't care for too much -simply because it lacked a book-mark drop down menu (like in FF)... Or, I never seen how to get one if there was one. I know about opening a new tab, but if I do that then I have to close the old/previous tab instead of just going to the new site straight from the current tab.

Safari? Pfft. The fonts alone are enough to drive one insane.

IE? I can't justify using it when there are other browsers that are more user friendly, intuitive, customizeable, and not broken.

LEVEL-4

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: So which IE do you recommend? new [Re: Traso]
#325338 - 04/28/14 01:51 PM

> My recent installation of Win7 Pro comes with IE11. The one thing I don't like about
> it is the tabs are above favorites bar. And I like having the google toolbar...though
> that isn't critical.

It is an unmitigated disaster in just about every conceivable way

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

I don't see space an issue with at least 21" wide screen..... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325346 - 04/28/14 06:23 PM

But I just serf....surf......I use no apps nor other software in conjunction with it, ahm except Foxit on occasion.

I have my favorites open 24/7 - but the favorites bar stuff I like to have available at a glance, especially as I have more boomarks than there is screen. The little things, you know.

I tried to try Chrome (been a while) last night, but it kept saying .net 3.5 wadn't there.....but it's in progs and feats......solid box, though. Not sure what the fuck that means.

Can't download Firefox, either. Hmmm........

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: I don't see space an issue with at least 21" wide screen..... new [Re: Traso]
#325347 - 04/28/14 06:54 PM

> Can't download Firefox, either. Hmmm........

Uhhh... more info, please? How can you "not download Firefox"?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: I don't see space an issue with at least 21" wide screen..... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#325350 - 04/28/14 09:21 PM

> > Can't download Firefox, either. Hmmm........
>
> Uhhh... more info, please? How can you "not download Firefox"?

Only time I've had something like that happen was due to malware. "No, you can't access things that might help remove me."

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: I don't see space an issue with at least 21" wide screen..... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325351 - 04/28/14 09:33 PM

> > > Can't download Firefox, either. Hmmm........
> >
> > Uhhh... more info, please? How can you "not download Firefox"?
>
> Only time I've had something like that happen was due to malware. "No, you can't
> access things that might help remove me."

I'm pretty sure that when I first acquired my laptop I was unable to download FF too. iirc, it might've had something to do with IE blocking the FF website.

But, obviously, I was able to get it eventually. I also have Chrome on that thing (using my XP as I post this reply), but I can't recall exactly how I got it (if IE gave me any hassle like it did when I tried to DL FF).

IE. The Overly attached gf of browsers.

LEVEL-4

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325354 - 04/29/14 01:27 AM

But Malwarebytes saw nor detected anything. Still doesn't. This is all on my Tiny7 machine. Last night when trying to download Firefox on it, I kept getting 'unable to connect to site' when I clicked on download. Chrome install would just hang.

I was able to try out Chrome and Firefox on my regular 7 machine and as always I didn't like either of them....just because I couldn't find out how to pin the favorites/bookmarks menu. Chrome still has those damn interleaved tabs. I hate those in real life in filing cabinets. Seriously lame.

I guess I'm going to have to over-write my main rig to regular 7, so I can at least update the browser.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: I don't see space an issue with at least 21" wide screen..... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325357 - 04/29/14 02:03 AM

> > > Can't download Firefox, either. Hmmm........
> >
> > Uhhh... more info, please? How can you "not download Firefox"?
>
> Only time I've had something like that happen was due to malware. "No, you can't
> access things that might help remove me."

If he's not using an admin account then maybe downloading executables is blocked by default. I dunno.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: Traso]
#325358 - 04/29/14 02:07 AM

> I couldn't find out how to pin the
> favorites/bookmarks menu.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about...

Right click in the area with the (haha, things you click on), you should get a menu drop down, the last choice is 'Customize', then you can drag and drop whichever item to wherever you want (on the top - of course).

LEVEL-4

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325359 - 04/29/14 02:17 AM Attachment: says no.PNG 16 KB (0 downloads)

> > I couldn't find out how to pin the
> > favorites/bookmarks menu.
>
>
> If you're talking about what I think you're talking about...
>
> Right click in the area with the (haha, things you click on), you should get a menu
> drop down, the last choice is 'Customize', then you can drag and drop whichever item
> to wherever you want (on the top - of course).

Yeah, I didn't bother much with it.

This is what I'm still getting.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#325362 - 04/29/14 04:00 AM

> > > I couldn't find out how to pin the
> > > favorites/bookmarks menu.
> >
> >
> > If you're talking about what I think you're talking about...
> >
> > Right click in the area with the (haha, things you click on), you should get a menu
> > drop down, the last choice is 'Customize', then you can drag and drop whichever
> item
> > to wherever you want (on the top - of course).
>
>
> Yeah, I didn't bother much with it.
>
> This is what I'm still getting.

That looks like the right... hmm... Firefox has an update... back soon....

Wait, what? Heh. They've changed the shape of tabs, removed the "Firefox" rectangle in the corner... where's the menu then? The whole title bar, OK... and changed some of the buttons.

And WTH? Graphical menu on the right... Hmm, I'll have to look at "what's new" then.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325363 - 04/29/14 04:27 AM

> Wait, what? Heh. They've changed the shape of tabs, removed the "Firefox" rectangle
> in the corner... where's the menu then? The whole title bar, OK... and changed some
> of the buttons.

You can switch between the "Firefox rectangle" in the corner and a normal menu by toggling the "menu bar" option.

If you're in "Firefox rectangle" mode, click on the rectangle, then go to "Options" and click on "menu bar" to check it.

If your're in "menu bar" mode, right click on an empty area on the menu bar and click on "menu bar" to un-check it.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#325364 - 04/29/14 04:34 AM Attachment: Firefox_Setup_28.0.zip 24597 KB (0 downloads)

see attached

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: krick]
#325365 - 04/29/14 04:46 AM Attachment: Clipboarder.2014.04.28.png 726 KB (0 downloads)

> > Wait, what? Heh. They've changed the shape of tabs, removed the "Firefox" rectangle
> > in the corner... where's the menu then? The whole title bar, OK... and changed some
> > of the buttons.
>
> You can switch between the "Firefox rectangle" in the corner and a normal menu by
> toggling the "menu bar" option.
>
> If you're in "Firefox rectangle" mode, click on the rectangle, then go to "Options"
> and click on "menu bar" to check it.
>
> If your're in "menu bar" mode, right click on an empty area on the menu bar and click
> on "menu bar" to un-check it.

Have you gotten 29.0 yet? That does turn the menu bar on and off (I prefer off -- give me my space), but that orange box in the corner seems to be gone now. They're trending toward "cleaner."

The back, forward, and refresh/stop icons are now attached to or embedded in the address bar. Tabs are rounded, and only the current one is outlined.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#325366 - 04/29/14 04:55 AM

> Have you gotten 29.0 yet? That does turn the menu bar on and off (I prefer off --
> give me my space), but that orange box in the corner seems to be gone now. They're
> trending toward "cleaner."
>
> The back, forward, and refresh/stop icons are now attached to or embedded in the
> address bar. Tabs are rounded, and only the current one is outlined.

Gah!

Yeah. I have it now. Wow. They totally ripped off Chrome with the right menu. It feels weird.

If you haven't installed it yet, I totally recommend installing Adblock Plus...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#325367 - 04/29/14 04:57 AM

Yes, I recognized the icon from the EVERYTHING on my Android phone.

The minimize, fullscreen, exit buttons seem out of place now.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#325368 - 04/29/14 05:05 AM

What are the small icons in the upper left of your screenshot. Gmail and YouTube, obviously, but how did they get there, and why are they tiny?

Edited by krick (04/29/14 05:07 AM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#325369 - 04/29/14 05:12 AM

Here you go...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#325370 - 04/29/14 05:13 AM

This gay assed Firefox 29 disabled my favorite extension... Forecast Fox. I hope it gets updated soon. I hate change! I like the status bar that now seems gone.

Edit: Ha Ha, it is now updated... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/forecastfox-users/tCXD3o1O7XM

Edited by redk9258 (04/29/14 05:16 AM)

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#325371 - 04/29/14 05:19 AM

> Here you go...
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Even though you didn't post that for me, thanks. I'm going to try the new layout first. If I cannot adjust. I'll try this out.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: redk9258]
#325372 - 04/29/14 05:21 AM

The comment to that post about the addon-bar.

I hate the addon bar. It pissed me off when Adblock Plus used to put the ADP stopsign button on that bar at the bottom of my screen and I had to "customize" and move it back up to the top where it belongs with the other buttons.

I guess that fully compliant addons for version 29 will start putting their buttons at the top instead of on the (now missing) addon bar.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#325373 - 04/29/14 05:22 AM

LOL, I moved other stuff down there.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: I was thinking malware, too.... new [Re: redk9258]
#325374 - 04/29/14 05:25 AM

> Even though you didn't post that for me, thanks. I'm going to try the new layout
> first. If I cannot adjust. I'll try this out.

Meh. The new layout isn't that bad. It looks and feels just like Chrome, which use at work. I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's just a shock at first.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#325375 - 04/29/14 05:28 AM

One thing that doesn't work for me is I cannot read the text on tabs that do not have focus. It is because of Aero. I'll have to figure out some way to change that. I like Aero and do not want to turn it off. Not tonight though, going to bed.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#325378 - 04/29/14 07:26 AM

> What are the small icons in the upper left of your screenshot. Gmail and YouTube,
> obviously, but how did they get there, and why are they tiny?

Pin Tab. I can't recall if it's part of an Extension or not, but it's in the right-click menu of each tab.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Nah, I'm OK with it like this. (nt) new [Re: krick]
#325379 - 04/29/14 07:27 AM

> Here you go...
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Shideravan
Incredible tester from Saturn and Powerful QMC2 template maker
Reged: 04/20/14
Send PM

Re: So which IE do you recommend? new [Re: Traso]
#325392 - 04/29/14 06:54 PM

I think that Chrome and Firefox are much better than IE...

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#325401 - 04/29/14 09:10 PM

> The comment to that post about the addon-bar.
>
> I hate the addon bar. It pissed me off when Adblock Plus used to put the ADP stopsign
> button on that bar at the bottom of my screen and I had to "customize" and move it
> back up to the top where it belongs with the other buttons.
>
> I guess that fully compliant addons for version 29 will start putting their buttons
> at the top instead of on the (now missing) addon bar.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/the-addon-bar/

to the Firefox devs. I'd rather keep my addon buttons down there - with an actual status bar - than taking up MORE space above.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Nah, I'm OK with it like this. (nt) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325403 - 04/30/14 12:14 AM

> > Here you go...
> >
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

I gave in and installed this. My status add on bar came back too. Now I have to figure out how to get the tabs below the address bar.

Edited by redk9258 (04/30/14 12:15 AM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Nah, I'm OK with it like this. (nt) new [Re: redk9258]
#325413 - 04/30/14 03:28 AM

> I gave in and installed this. My status add on bar came back too. Now I have to figure out how to get the tabs below the address bar.

I did, too, but haven't restarted Firefox. I think you can't move the tabs below. I'm getting used to the status bar not being there, though. Oh, and I hate Aero.

> Pin Tab. I can't recall if it's part of an Extension or not, but it's in the right-click menu of each tab.

I messed with that, but hate the filing folder tabs sticking up (talk about Chroming, fuck), and it fucks with my sense of order having icons next to a line of those.

However, at this point in things, I'm about tired of fucking with shit. So. I'm on regular 7 (Pro), and Firefox now on both machines. Still can't automatically access my theatre rig's files from here......

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Nah, I'm OK with it like this. (nt) new [Re: Traso]
#325416 - 04/30/14 03:50 AM Attachment: Untitled.png 88 KB (0 downloads)

> > I gave in and installed this. My status add on bar came back too. Now I have to
> figure out how to get the tabs below the address bar.
>
> I did, too, but haven't restarted Firefox. I think you can't move the tabs below. I'm
> getting used to the status bar not being there, though. Oh, and I hate Aero.

There are add-ons, extensions, or themes that will move the tabs, but I prefer them up top.

I've made further modifications, and now I have this:

Attachment

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Nah, I'm OK with it like this. (nt) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#325418 - 04/30/14 04:10 AM Attachment: ff capture.PNG 24 KB (0 downloads)

> There are add-ons, extensions, or themes that will move the tabs, but I prefer them up top. I've made further modifications, and now I have this:

Oh, yeah, okay. I forget what I did. I think mine was default like the left, and I switched it, and didn't like it because of the roundy tabs and all. I do now remember krick I think saying you could fix all that....and maybe I will. I dunno. I'm getting used to it looking like this.

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#325439 - 04/30/14 12:22 PM Attachment: Capture3.png 69 KB (0 downloads)

I got mine the way I like...

Attachment

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Nah, I'm OK with it like this. (nt) new [Re: redk9258]
#325519 - 05/01/14 07:38 PM

> I got mine the way I like...

MM. How'd you do that?

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#325541 - 05/02/14 04:50 AM

> > I got mine the way I like...
>
> MM. How'd you do that?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 240 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2556