Pages: 1

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday
#325211 - 04/25/14 09:07 PM

ICHEG and its home, the Strong National Museum of Play, today announced the acquisition of what is practically the corporate archive for Atari Games' coin-operated division: Twenty-two palettes' worth of material, bought some 15 years ago by a collector in California, and trucked to Rochester, N.Y.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/22/5640114/maze-invaders-atari-arcade-source-code-strong-museum-icheg

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: Foxhack]
#325212 - 04/25/14 10:44 PM

I would feel much better if all of it was being trucked to Archive was a note saying Attention Jason Scott

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: Foxhack]
#325215 - 04/26/14 12:21 AM

Cool that this archive was saved from extinction.
And I do wonder if there are any things in it that might benefit MAME (e.g. if there are MCUs to decap, maybe the archive contains their source code somewhere)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: jonwil]
#325221 - 04/26/14 02:22 AM

> Cool that this archive was saved from extinction.

Hahahaha, "saved from extinction", yeah right. One fire and it all gets lost. This sort of stuff belongs on archive.org.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#325244 - 04/26/14 07:52 PM

Or flood. Yeah it's no more safe now than it was in the previous owner's basement. Unfortunately when people pay high dollar for this stuff they don't give out copies.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: Smitdogg]
#325254 - 04/26/14 08:58 PM

> Or flood. Yeah it's no more safe now than it was in the previous owner's basement.
> Unfortunately when people pay high dollar for this stuff they don't give out copies.

I would hope that they make scans, but I do like the idea that the originals could be put on display somewhere.

Scanning them and distributing them on the internet is a legal minefield.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: B2K24]
#325288 - 04/27/14 07:02 PM

> I would feel much better if all of it was being trucked to Archive was a note saying
> Attention Jason Scott

Jason Scott just tweeted at me saying the museum will do the right thing, so I'm sure he's okay with this.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#325289 - 04/27/14 07:18 PM

Who cares what Jason Scott thinks about it? If it would be possible to take the pile and add rare games to mame with it and this safestuff/museum situation cockblocks us out of that, then we lose. Ask anyone not within 100 miles of this museum how much they give a shit about something they can't visit.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Museum acquires 'virtually complete' source code from Atari's arcade heyday new [Re: Smitdogg]
#325291 - 04/27/14 07:31 PM

> Who cares what Jason Scott thinks about it? If it would be possible to take the pile
> and add rare games to mame with it and this safestuff/museum situation cockblocks us
> out of that, then we lose. Ask anyone not within 100 miles of this museum how much
> they give a shit about something they can't visit.

From what I understand the collection comes 'from' safestuff (atarigames.com). It seems to me he cleared most of his physical trove of documents continuing to play patron to the more prized "most wanted" stuff (Marble Madness 2, Akka_Arrh, Missile Command 2.. among others). There is mention of Maze Invaders in the article but that was already donated to MAME some time ago. Some of the game source codes would be great to have, of course, and in the end I'll be happy to see anything shared.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1773