Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

cyberspyder
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/07
Send PM

Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64?
#324761 - 04/16/14 03:10 AM

Before my HD crash i had used MAXIMUS ARCADE, i just downloaded the latest version 2.09 but it seems like it hasnt been touched in a year. It also has some undesired effects, when quitting it causes desktop icons to lose position, the volume gets reset to the front ends volume, windows get resized to fit in a small spot in the corner of the desktop, just to name a few. I also looked at hyperspin, but can anyone tell me of a front end that they particularly like.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64? new [Re: cyberspyder]
#324762 - 04/16/14 03:54 AM

I just use MAMEUI64, since it is the GUI version of MAME.

cyberspyder
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64? new [Re: redk9258]
#324776 - 04/16/14 09:15 AM

actually i am using MAMEUI64, what i wanted to know if there was a frontend to launch mameui64, something other than maximus or hyperspin.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#324779 - 04/16/14 12:04 PM

Seems redundant to me. If you are using a frontend, you should just use the regular, official build of MAME.

I don't use a frontend, so I cannot recommend any. Some people like QMC2.

cyberspyder
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64? new [Re: redk9258]
#324793 - 04/16/14 06:54 PM

For my arcade cabinet i want a front end so that the the game/games have an attract mode. I don't want to use the attract mode for 1 specific game though. I like the idea of being able to easily scroll through the games with an animated user interface and also do the same with the different systems. That is why i dont want to use an "Emulator" but a "Front End"

what2be
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/25/04
Loc: Eureka, CA
Send PM

#327018 - 06/15/14 11:18 PM

Its a ugly world out there, let me tell you. The last time I was involved with mame was 2003, the same year I sold my Hanaho cabinet and my son was born. A few weeks ago I was at a friends house who was having a garage sale and there she was, my old Hanaho cabinet, complete with the PC (pentium4 processor, 512k ram) and running MAMEUI .135 (2009).
I tried to stay away, I really did, but when he said FREE, I didn't hesitate, I loaded it up and drove home. Ive been looking for a new front end ever since. After researching whats new in the world of mame I came away with a idea of what I wanted.

There were certain requirements that I wanted met:
1) A user interface simple enough my 11 and 8 year olds could operate.
2) No Keyboard access whatsoever. Locked away in the cabinet and out of sight.
3) Able to support 3rd party joysticks, eg. Ultimarc's Ultrastik or ServoStik.
4) Able to support 3rd party hardware like Ultimarc's Pac-Drive so I could have the buttons light up for each individual game so the player knows what buttons are used in that game.
5) Able to support multiple emulators. I have 3, MAMEUI64, DAPHNE, and VISUAL PINBALL.

In my opinion those aren't unreasonable requirements but they must be because Ive spent a week trying different ones that would meet my needs. I've tried Mala, Maximum Arcade, GameEX, HyperSpin, and a few others I cant remember. In the end, Maximus wasn't bad, but its a dead project. GameEX does everything you want in a MEDIA CENTER, but its not a true cabinet front end, and I think its a bit intrusive (always trying to get you to download ad links, puts itself in registry, adds to you favorites, etc.. But it really is the everything you ever could ask for.

My final decision was between Mala and Hyperspin. Mala seems half dead as well but it does everything I want, including hardware support. The downside is the GUI sucks IMO. Hyperspin is currently my choice at the moment but im still in the process of configuring it (along with HyperLaunch and HyperPin. Its a huge pain in the ass, but I *think* it will do everything I want.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by what2be (06/15/14 11:20 PM)

cyberspyder
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64? new [Re: what2be]
#327116 - 06/18/14 07:27 AM

Myself i went with Maximus 2.10 and the exosphere theme. True it seems like maximus is a dead project, but it still works great and is very easy to set up and even easier to use. The exosphere theme is hard to find (dead also) but is really nice as well. Check it out on youtube and if you need it, i have the links or can email you a copy.

My first cabinet project i bought an empty shell from some guy about 20 miles from my hometown. When i opened up the cabinet (sidearms) written on the inside was "property of debbie's everything" a local candy store that went out of business. Then i realized i played that very same cabinet as a teen. MAME, bringing back memories and keeping classic games alive is what it's all about.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

#333611 - 10/21/14 07:51 PM

Am I the only one who's confused about why you guys are using MAMUI with a front end instead of MAME? MAMEUI is a front end, if you are using a different front end, you should use stock MAME.

EDIT: I realize this was an old post, but hopefully others will read it and stop doing what you're doing.

Edited by XtraSmiley (10/21/14 07:52 PM)

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#333624 - 10/22/14 12:05 AM

> My first cabinet project i bought an empty shell from some guy about 20 miles from my
> hometown. When i opened up the cabinet (sidearms) written on the inside was "property
> of debbie's everything" a local candy store that went out of business. Then i
> realized i played that very same cabinet as a teen. MAME, bringing back memories and
> keeping classic games alive is what it's all about.

That's a really cool story. Reminds me of The Frogger Seinfeld episode a bit. Would it be OK if I added your story to my: Arcade Games Annecdotes (http://moosevalley.fhost.com.au/arcade_game_annecdotes.html) ?

Moose

cyberspyder
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64? new [Re: Moose]
#334088 - 11/01/14 07:01 AM

Sure, add away. Ive been ill, sorry for such a long time to reply.

cyberspyder
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Front End to use with MAMEUI64? new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#334089 - 11/01/14 07:04 AM

Front end is meant to be Hyperspin or something of that nature.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7321