MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC...
#322983 - 03/07/14 11:51 PM

Assetto Corsa on Steam.

Early access, so not finished yet. Overall very good AI, except possibly on the newest track. Single player. An extra 33% off this weekend, normally expensive.

I'd have grabbed it, but my laptop is too far out of date to handle it. I'd still get it, if I was anticipating an upgrade any time soon.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#322994 - 03/08/14 05:38 AM

> Assetto Corsa on Steam.
>
> Early access, so not finished yet. Overall very good AI, except possibly on the
> newest track. Single player. An extra 33% off this weekend, normally expensive.
>
> I'd have grabbed it, but my laptop is too far out of date to handle it. I'd still get
> it, if I was anticipating an upgrade any time soon.

I used to love racing sims, but I never had the hardware to do the really hardcore ones justice. "Live for Speed" was probably the last one I really spent any time with, and the limitations of my controller got frustrating after a while.

On another note, is anyone else getting burnt out on "early access"? I understand that it's done so an indie team can do a higher quality game without a AAA budget, but kind of like the subscription model, it's being done by way too many developers. After a while it's like, just call me when its done. I just want to play games, not become an investor.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: DMala]
#322999 - 03/08/14 07:38 AM

> > Assetto Corsa on Steam.
> >
> > Early access, so not finished yet. Overall very good AI, except possibly on the
> > newest track. Single player. An extra 33% off this weekend, normally expensive.
> >
> > I'd have grabbed it, but my laptop is too far out of date to handle it. I'd still
> get
> > it, if I was anticipating an upgrade any time soon.
>
> I used to love racing sims, but I never had the hardware to do the really hardcore
> ones justice. "Live for Speed" was probably the last one I really spent any time
> with, and the limitations of my controller got frustrating after a while.
>
> On another note, is anyone else getting burnt out on "early access"? I understand
> that it's done so an indie team can do a higher quality game without a AAA budget,
> but kind of like the subscription model, it's being done by way too many developers.
> After a while it's like, just call me when its done. I just want to play games, not
> become an investor.

Yeah, that's why I only mention this one because it looks really good technically and is normally rather pricy.

Games that do this go for years without a release, and some are dying before they ever live.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#323027 - 03/08/14 10:56 PM

Yeah some of the games out there seem to be treating its customers as alpha testers. It seems to work for the games that have a crafting element though. For others its just a broken game...

I usually wait for a few months before getting an early access sort of game. Even golden age I waited until it was 'released' before I played it even though I had early access. Even *THEN* it was still only half done... --rage table flip icon here--

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: lharms]
#323030 - 03/08/14 11:41 PM

I still think Richard Burns Rally is the best simulator. Think I will play it now.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: joey35car]
#323038 - 03/09/14 12:34 AM

> I still think Richard Burns Rally is the best simulator. Think I will play it now.

I'm looking forward to "Next Car Game" from Bugbear, general mayhem

I liked the two first FlatOut games a lot so this should be good.

I'm worried about the handling, I haven't seen a video of anyone who actually drives well yet.

Apparently this guy is using his keyboard...sigh

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: Sune]
#323046 - 03/09/14 03:05 AM

> > I still think Richard Burns Rally is the best simulator. Think I will play it now.
>
> I'm looking forward to "Next Car Game" from Bugbear, general mayhem
>
>
> I liked the two first FlatOut games a lot so this should be good.
>
> I'm worried about the handling, I haven't seen a video of anyone who actually drives
> well yet.
>
> Apparently this guy is using his keyboard...sigh

I'm subscribed to a couple YT channels from people who play racing games... moderately well at best. If you're doing commentary while playing, it has a huge (negative) impact on your driving, as it would IRL. Post commentary generally loses any sense of excitement, and when there's none, there's little impetus to continue watching the player.

One of those two did NCG two weeks ago, and said the handling has been adjusted, but still is lacking (he can't get it to do a J-turn). I won't say he drives well.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#323060 - 03/09/14 06:33 AM

> I'm subscribed to a couple YT channels from people who play racing games...
> moderately well at best. If you're doing commentary while playing, it has a huge
> (negative) impact on your driving, as it would IRL. Post commentary generally loses
> any sense of excitement, and when there's none, there's little impetus to continue
> watching the player.
>
> One of those two did NCG two weeks ago, and said the handling has been adjusted, but
> still is lacking (he can't get it to do a J-turn). I won't say he drives well.

This probably isn't all that relevant to the discussion, but since it's closely related...

I thought I just had to have DiRT3 for the PS3. It looked so cool. But now that I have it, and have played it -- I can say it's the ONE game in the "library" (ha-ha) of 8 or 9 other games I have that can actually make me rage. But that might be due to me using the PS3 game-pad and not actual driving controls.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/09/14 06:34 AM)

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#323063 - 03/09/14 06:58 AM

> I liked the two first FlatOut games a lot so this should be good.

The first FlatOut is among my favorite PC games of all time. The second one was incredibly disappointing. It was pretty much a generic console racer with slightly more interactive environments, not up to Bugbear's standards at all. This new one looks promising, it seems to be much more in the vein of the first game. I love the style of the cars, they manage to capture the essence of a lot of classics without directly reproducing any specific model.

If you're into "full contact" racers, check out Gas Guzzlers. It's a little console-ish, and a bit more combat oriented, but it definitely recalls some of the classics like FlatOut, Destruction Derby, and Interstate 76. I picked it up a while back as part of one of those indie bundles.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: DMala]
#323077 - 03/09/14 09:42 AM

> > I liked the two first FlatOut games a lot so this should be good.
>
> The first FlatOut is among my favorite PC games of all time. The second one was
> incredibly disappointing. It was pretty much a generic console racer with slightly
> more interactive environments, not up to Bugbear's standards at all.

You must be thinking about one of the two later games in the series?? FlatOut 2 wasn't that bad was it? I don't remember, it's a long time ago..

> If you're into "full contact" racers, check out Gas Guzzlers. It's a little
> console-ish, and a bit more combat oriented, but it definitely recalls some of the
> classics like FlatOut, Destruction Derby, and Interstate 76.

Thanks, never heard of it! I saw a video and it reminds me of DethKarz for some reason even though they're stylistically very different..

Remember DethKarz?

Aber das ist da sehr toll!!

S

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#323091 - 03/09/14 06:58 PM

One of my favorite all time racing games is Grid for xbox 360. Awesome game..
Played alot of racing games bac in the day and its the only game that made me want one of the driving seats the made. Got prerty good at it then life got into the way, maybe i might have to get it out, blow off the dust and fire it up again....

Only here to annoy...

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: If you like racing sims... and have an awesome PC... new [Re: Renegade]
#323100 - 03/09/14 09:58 PM

> One of my favorite all time racing games is Grid for xbox 360. Awesome game..
> Played alot of racing games bac in the day and its the only game that made me want
> one of the driving seats the made. Got prerty good at it then life got into the way,
> maybe i might have to get it out, blow off the dust and fire it up again....

Heh. My favorite is STILL Monster Games/Infogrames' NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona from 2002 (before EA finished buying up exclusive rights to every sports franchise). Not for any degree of realism or track and car selection, of course, but for the way the career mode worked with a calendar of events, sponsors, and multiple leagues operating concurrently, plus plenty of options for tweaking your vehicles. All the current games seem to either offer sequential leagues or free-form seasons, if they have either. Not to mention the $#@! in-game purchases.

(The most recent NASCAR games, post-EA, are utter crap.)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323109 - 03/09/14 11:34 PM

> One of my favorite all time racing games is Grid for xbox 360. Awesome game..
> Played alot of racing games bac in the day and its the only game that made me want
> one of the driving seats the made. Got prerty good at it then life got into the way,
> maybe i might have to get it out, blow off the dust and fire it up again....

It's a good game. Love the slow motion replay too. I haven't seen the Xbox version but it still looks great on PC with everything on max quality. I've never finished the championship and i HATE the drift races. I know what to do but I just don't seem to get better at it like I do at the other disciplines.

There's a sequel to GRID out now but last time I looked they're selling half the game as DLC. I want it but I'm going to wait until it goes on sale with everything included.

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#323114 - 03/10/14 12:04 AM

> > One of my favorite all time racing games is Grid for xbox 360. Awesome game..
> > Played alot of racing games bac in the day and its the only game that made me want
> > one of the driving seats the made. Got prerty good at it then life got into the
> way,
> > maybe i might have to get it out, blow off the dust and fire it up again....
>
> It's a good game. Love the slow motion replay too. I haven't seen the Xbox version
> but it still looks great on PC with everything on max quality. I've never finished
> the championship and i HATE the drift races. I know what to do but I just don't seem
> to get better at it like I do at the other disciplines.
>
> There's a sequel to GRID out now but last time I looked they're selling half the game
> as DLC. I want it but I'm going to wait until it goes on sale with everything
> included.
>
> S

Grid 2... DNF does not stand for "done, now first."

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#323117 - 03/10/14 01:49 AM

>
> It's a good game. Love the slow motion replay too. I haven't seen the Xbox version
> but it still looks great on PC with everything on max quality. I've never finished
> the championship and i HATE the drift races. I know what to do but I just don't seem
> to get better at it like I do at the other disciplines.
>
> There's a sequel to GRID out now but last time I looked they're selling half the game
> as DLC. I want it but I'm going to wait until it goes on sale with everything
> included.
>
> S

I havent tried it but on xbox 360. I like it other than the drifting, i cant get the drifting part down.

Yeah i live out in the country and my only internet option is satelite and its too expensive vs download caps so my only access is thru my phone now so the days of buying pc games is ovr for me.

Bought the last silent hunter sub game for pc was the last game i bought and found out it has to have internet acess to verify and play so that was a waste of money. Wish they would release a patch eliminating it or find a good working crack... luv to play it someday.....

Only here to annoy...

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#323120 - 03/10/14 03:30 AM

I'm at work so I can't verify if it's still there and useful, but I used to go to gamecopyworld for that sort of thing. cracks to avoid loading from CD/online and such...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 423 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4776