View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Jfarro
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/24/14
Send PM

Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger hidden
#322530 - 02/24/14 11:23 AM

Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger active, but hidden? I've not found a way browsing the command lines I've looked at.

I've tried using -nowindow with -debug, but haven't had any luck. I've also tried some resolution work.

This is for some extensibility work I'm attempting using the church of robotron method (udp sends when certain breakpoints are hit)

(btw, apologies if this double posts... I thought I'd posted it, but don't see it showing up.)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger hidden new [Re: Jfarro]
#322533 - 02/24/14 01:27 PM

You can hide the debugger once you've started. Is that not good enough?

Jfarro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger hidden new [Re: ]
#322542 - 02/24/14 08:30 PM

I actually am looking for a way to have it launch, and hide the window automatically (such as a command line).

I'll explain what I'm doing, in hopes that it makes more sense.

I am working on a dynamic marquee project for arcade cabinets. I am working on one that not only changes to the current game being played, but also can do things such as load up movelists for fighting games...for the actual fighter that is chosen by each player.

The way I'm doing this is built on the church of robotron work, which sends UDP packets when breakpoints are hit (They, and I, had to create a custom build for this). I have that working, and currently I have MK2 running with the character moves loading up correctly.

I'm at the part now where everything works...except when I try it on my arcade cabinet I end up with a window and a debugger. F12 hides the debugger, but I still end up in a window. I'd like to launch fullscreen, no debugger.

I could try to hack in a way to hide the debug window (this was what the robotron guys did), but I'm hoping for a better, cleaner solution, or advice on how to best go about it. The current solution they pulled was to throw a 'return' into the source under debugint where the window draw method is called. That seems..hacky

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#322548 - 02/24/14 11:04 PM

> I could try to hack in a way to hide the debug window (this was what the robotron
> guys did), but I'm hoping for a better, cleaner solution, or advice on how to best go
> about it. The current solution they pulled was to throw a 'return' into the source
> under debugint where the window draw method is called. That seems..hacky

I'm unfamiliar with "church of robotron" but if people have some kind of plausible way to use the MAME debugger remotely (from, say, MAME running on an Nvidia Shield) I'm interested.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger hidden new [Re: R. Belmont]
#322555 - 02/25/14 12:15 AM

Reading http://churchofrobotron.com/info.html it seems like they are using MAME and its debugger to trigger external events when certain things happen in-game in Robotron.

Jfarro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger hidden new [Re: jonwil]
#322567 - 02/25/14 03:31 AM

Right, exactly..they pulled off an interesting extension of an old school game by inserting some new debug commands which sent the data out. (Source here: https://github.com/breedx2/mcor/tree/master/mamehack)

This could be incredibly powerful...as it allow us to 'extend' old games. Imagine playing Mortal Kombat, and when a fatality happens, the lights in the room dim. To do this, you have to be aware of when that event happens in the game itself (plus some home automation work). By having the debugger send out UDP events, you can do some very interesting things.

R. Belmont, with the debugger spew going out over UDP, I believe this would be possible...would probably want to do 2 way work, and essentially set it up as a remote console...so you'd point the Mame on the Shield to an IP/Port, fire up a UDP receiver, and off it'd go. You'd probably have to setup remote signal commands to tell it to break on Vsync and such, but I believe it's doable.

I'm looking to go the other direction, and currently only in one directly...out from Mame to a client. In my case, the game could talk to an app on a tablet, allowing for smartglass like scenarios. But all of this would ideally have mame launch..without a window when the debugger runs

Jfarro
MAME Fan
Send PM

#322586 - 02/25/14 08:37 AM

I've figured out that this is disabled in window.c, and most likely in other places. I found if I comment out:

if (window->machine().debug_flags & DEBUG_FLAG_OSD_ENABLED)
return;

I can toggle and get into full screen mode. So not quite the 'auto' I'm hoping for, but I see I'm going to have to make a custom build to enable this.

Update: Video.C was the file I was hunting for...

under extract_video_config, there is the line:
// if we are in debug mode, never go full screen
if (machine.debug_flags & DEBUG_FLAG_OSD_ENABLED)
video_config.windowed = TRUE;

Which allows me to run fullscreen from the start. I'll try to get a video up tonight so people can understand why this is a huge deal to me

Edited by Jfarro (02/25/14 09:23 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#322592 - 02/25/14 02:27 PM

> I'm unfamiliar with "church of robotron" but if people have some kind of plausible
> way to use the MAME debugger remotely (from, say, MAME running on an Nvidia Shield)
> I'm interested.

I don't think that was the plan.

To separate the debugger out you'd just need to implement the current debugger interface over tcp (or whatever). Looking at the amount of qt code you have in sdlmame will give you an idea of what needs to be transmittable.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#322593 - 02/25/14 02:30 PM

> F12 hides the debugger, but I still
> end up in a window. I'd like to launch fullscreen, no debugger.

It doesn't seem to allow you to go full screen with the debugger started (even if it's hidden), although I don't know why that is.

That is probably your first thing to investigate.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Is there a way to launch mame with the debugger hidden new [Re: ]
#322603 - 02/25/14 06:31 PM

> It doesn't seem to allow you to go full screen with the debugger started (even if
> it's hidden), although I don't know why that is.

Because a breakpoint fires, you're in full screen and can't get to the debugger, and you've just lost control of your PC pending an alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete. We could make MAME switch in and out of full screen each time the debugger wants to come up, but personally I'd find that more annoying than the current behavior.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#322622 - 02/26/14 03:47 AM

> We could make MAME switch in and out of full screen each time the debugger wants to come up,
> but personally I'd find that more annoying than the current behavior.

There are plenty of use cases for the debugger where you don't actually need to see it. Although I don't tend to use it because the syntax is forgettable you can have it log and then automatically restart execution when hitting a breakpoint/watchpoint.

I also often get annoyed that I have started mame/mess and want to pop into the debugger but am forced to exit and restart.

The current behaviour is a bit too passive aggressive.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1643