MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads?
#322116 - 02/17/14 03:14 AM

Looking for some SERIOUS comp from a tire joint that just put 4 tires on my car (not the truck).

4 tires on, no word of trouble, gave me the keys. Ride home seemed a little bumpy at first, then got really bad as I neared my house. Set the car aside until the weekend to inspect.

Found that two lug bolts (yes bolts) on the drivers side wheel had been crossthread into the hub. 1/4 at best before they would even be snug. 2 lug bolts came out by hand. The remaining lug was the only one remotely tight.

Long story short, I had to replace the $200 hub assembly before the car was even safe to drive again. Haven't even looked at the other tires yet. Rounded out the wheel holes a bit, but not enough to be unusable.

Looking to get compensation for the hub ~at least~. Had to buy $70 worth of specialty tools as well.

Any advice? It's one thing to cross thread, it's a completely different thing to send someone on there way without a tire secure.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads? new [Re: italie]
#322126 - 02/17/14 04:43 AM

>
> Long story short, I had to replace the $200 hub assembly before the car was even safe
> to drive again. Haven't even looked at the other tires yet. Rounded out the wheel
> holes a bit, but not enough to be unusable.
>

I thought you could hammer the five threaded lug pegs out (which the hub and tire fit onto) if they get damaged, and put new ones in?
Or are you saying the hub itself got the holes in it severely damaged from rattling around when driving with the lug nuts on only finger tight? If the latter is the case then I'd think the garage is indeed responsible for replacing the damaged hub. (and moving the tire from the damaged hub to the new one... and replacing the damaged lug peg bolts... etc)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

No. Go to small claims court, or BBB? new [Re: italie]
#322129 - 02/17/14 05:17 AM

But I'm sure those are obvious. Good luck with/making a case for a lawsuit.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads? new [Re: italie]
#322130 - 02/17/14 05:37 AM

Having already fixed the problem yourself, you may have an uphill battle. The best thing to do would have been to turn the car right around and take it back to the shop as soon as you noticed something wasn't right. Second best would have been to call the shop as soon as you found the problem, and make them tow it if it's not safe to drive. As it stands, I'd go to them with all the broken parts, receipts for everything, and lay it out for them. If it's a good place that cares about their reputation, you might get something. If it's a shitty, cut rate place and the manager's a prick, they'll probably tell you to pound tar. If it's a chain shop, you might be able to go to corporate, but other than that you're probably SOL. Small claims will be a ton of hassle for not much reward.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: No. Go to small claims court, or BBB? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#322132 - 02/17/14 06:51 AM

Another possibility is your credit card company. Some have extra warranty on purchases. If its not worked out they just reverse the charge.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#322133 - 02/17/14 06:56 AM

Meh,

When I was younger, I would have fought that to try to get compensation "out of principle of it"

But then, at some point in my life... maybe it was after a few near-death experiences... when you really weight what things are worth compared to your time, energy, peace, and sexual arousal (not always applicable...but somehow always relevant)...

I'd now come to the conclusion that people are imperfect, they screwed up and it cost me $200, which is unfortunate... then I'd ask my kids how their day was in school... and listen earnestly to everything they said... because that's worth more to me than $200.

Go out and enjoy your day, italie.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads? new [Re: DMala]
#322134 - 02/17/14 07:02 AM

> Having already fixed the problem yourself, you may have an uphill battle. The best
> thing to do would have been to turn the car right around and take it back to the shop
> as soon as you noticed something wasn't right. Second best would have been to call
> the shop as soon as you found the problem, and make them tow it if it's not safe to
> drive. As it stands, I'd go to them with all the broken parts, receipts for
> everything, and lay it out for them. If it's a good place that cares about their
> reputation, you might get something. If it's a shitty, cut rate place and the
> manager's a prick, they'll probably tell you to pound tar. If it's a chain shop, you
> might be able to go to corporate, but other than that you're probably SOL. Small
> claims will be a ton of hassle for not much reward.

Got it done at a shop by my work, 20 miles away. Once I realized what they had done, not only was the car not-drivable, but they had closed for the rest of weekend.

Needed the car Monday morning. No real choice in the matter unfortunate. I have all the old parts, and videos of the problems pre-take apart.

I will be going to their corporate, and to court if need be. I put my kids in the car and drove them home before the problem became apparent, sooooo not happy about that.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads? new [Re: GatKong]
#322137 - 02/17/14 07:06 AM

> Meh,
>
> When I was younger, I would have fought that to try to get compensation "out of
> principle of it"
>
> But then, at some point in my life... maybe it was after a few near-death
> experiences... when you really weight what things are worth compared to your time,
> energy, peace, and sexual arousal (not always applicable...but somehow always
> relevant)...
>
> I'd now come to the conclusion that people are imperfect, they screwed up and it cost
> me $200, which is unfortunate... then I'd ask my kids how their day was in school...
> and listen earnestly to everything they said... because that's worth more to me than
> $200.
>
>
> Go out and enjoy your day, italie.

That pretty much is it though, principle. Not really so much about the $200 bucks, as it is about having my kids in a car for 20 miles that could have caused them serious issue. Also about the time this weekend I lost with them, the sexy-time I lost with my wife while dicking around with the car, and I broke a nail.

I wouldn't fight things like this normally, but they crossed a line.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#322140 - 02/17/14 07:25 AM

> I wouldn't fight things like this normally, but they crossed a line.

If I had a dollar for every time I got dicked out of a dollar...

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads? new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#322141 - 02/17/14 07:33 AM

> >
> > Long story short, I had to replace the $200 hub assembly before the car was even
> safe
> > to drive again. Haven't even looked at the other tires yet. Rounded out the wheel
> > holes a bit, but not enough to be unusable.
> >
>
> I thought you could hammer the five threaded lug pegs out (which the hub and tire fit
> onto) if they get damaged, and put new ones in?
> Or are you saying the hub itself got the holes in it severely damaged from rattling
> around when driving with the lug nuts on only finger tight? If the latter is the case
> then I'd think the garage is indeed responsible for replacing the damaged hub. (and
> moving the tire from the damaged hub to the new one... and replacing the damaged lug
> peg bolts... etc)
>
> LN

VW does it backward, where the hub is threaded and the lugs are actually screwed in from the outside. Screwed hub = not getting a tire secure on it. 4 of the 5 holes were cross threaded, that is where the initial damage started. The wheel sloshing back and forth damaged the rim a bit, but I was lucky enough to stop driving it before the rim became damaged beyond use.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Anyone have experience getting compensation from tire shops that screw up threads? new [Re: GatKong]
#322142 - 02/17/14 07:35 AM

> > I wouldn't fight things like this normally, but they crossed a line.
>
> If I had a dollar for every time I got dicked out of a dollar...

You'd have a dollar that smelled of dick?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#322145 - 02/17/14 08:32 AM

> VW does it backward,

There's your problem right there.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#322151 - 02/17/14 01:05 PM

> VW does it backward, where the hub is threaded and the lugs are actually screwed in
> from the outside. Screwed hub = not getting a tire secure on it. 4 of the 5 holes
> were cross threaded, that is where the initial damage started. The wheel sloshing
> back and forth damaged the rim a bit, but I was lucky enough to stop driving it
> before the rim became damaged beyond use.

VW still uses lug bolts? I've had many VW's, both air and water cooled. All used lug bolts. I've never had a problem putting them on or stripping them out. Sounds like some jackass just used an impact gun and made hid own threads. Thank God you didn't loose a wheel at 70 MPH or something.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

I won. <nt> new [Re: italie]
#322225 - 02/19/14 04:40 AM

> Looking for some SERIOUS comp from a tire joint that just put 4 tires on my car (not
> the truck).
>
> 4 tires on, no word of trouble, gave me the keys. Ride home seemed a little bumpy at
> first, then got really bad as I neared my house. Set the car aside until the weekend
> to inspect.
>
> Found that two lug bolts (yes bolts) on the drivers side wheel had been crossthread
> into the hub. 1/4 at best before they would even be snug. 2 lug bolts came out by
> hand. The remaining lug was the only one remotely tight.
>
> Long story short, I had to replace the $200 hub assembly before the car was even safe
> to drive again. Haven't even looked at the other tires yet. Rounded out the wheel
> holes a bit, but not enough to be unusable.
>
> Looking to get compensation for the hub ~at least~. Had to buy $70 worth of specialty
> tools as well.
>
> Any advice? It's one thing to cross thread, it's a completely different thing to send
> someone on there way without a tire secure.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: I won. <nt> new [Re: italie]
#322227 - 02/19/14 04:52 AM

Let me guess, you just hurled your damaged hub through their front window.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I won. <nt> new [Re: DMala]
#322230 - 02/19/14 04:59 AM

> Let me guess, you just hurled your damaged hub through their front window.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: I won. <nt> new [Re: italie]
#322232 - 02/19/14 09:07 AM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 898 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2214