Do You want some apples ?
If so then go to R. Belmonts place and ask for Sara

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: MESS wins ! ...again. new [Re: CTOJAH]
#322076 - 02/16/14 01:30 PM

Nice one, interesting to see the weird hardware tricks Apple used on the III to make it work.

I think the other reason the III failed is that Apple deliberately crippled it in one or 2 places (exactly why I dont know) which meant there was a whole bunch of Apple II software that wouldn't run at all in the Apple II mode on the III.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: MESS wins ! ...again. new [Re: jonwil]
#322078 - 02/16/14 03:44 PM

> I think the other reason the III failed is that Apple deliberately crippled it in one
> or 2 places (exactly why I dont know) which meant there was a whole bunch of Apple II
> software that wouldn't run at all in the Apple II mode on the III.

Making a computer backward compatible is quite hard, especially from that era.

When commodore marketing announced that the c128 would be backward compatible with the c64, nobody knew what that would actually mean. They made at least one mistake which meant that a small percentage of c64 software doesn't work on the c128.

The commodore 65 also had backward compatibility with the c64, but it hardly runs anything properly (it's unlikely that it would have improved even if it had made it to production).

The Apple iii failed because even after solving all of the hardware problems, the Apple ii was good enough. Which is the same reason the commodore 64 outlasted the commodore 128.

It seems that Apple didn't learn from the Apple iii though and the Lisa was an even bigger disaster. The industry works differently now, but back then trying to design by committee never worked out too well.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MESS wins ! ...again. new [Re: CTOJAH]
#322102 - 02/16/14 11:01 PM

>go to R. Belmonts place

Congrats to RB and to the various contributors over the years of getting this computer system emulated.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: MESS wins ! ...again. new [Re: ]
#322154 - 02/17/14 01:55 PM

Not 100% sure but I think one of the other big mistakes Apple made was to go against Jobs and not lower the price of the then-new Macintosh to sell more macs because doing so would have hurt sales of the Apple II.

Plenty of companies are like that, just look at the way Microsoft has acted when it comes to things they could (or even should) be doing but aren't doing because said things might hurt their core Windows or Office products somehow.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Sara redux – even better! new [Re: CTOJAH]
#322192 - 02/18/14 07:08 PM

Quote:

When last we left the Apple /// emulation, we had world’s-first app compatibility but general unease over seemingly random instability in the System Utilities, and the Selector /// installer failed every time. After taking a dive into the schematics, I realized that the instruction modification trick was actually far, far simpler than I’d been giving it credit for (this is a computer released in 1980). I rewrote it according to my understanding of the schematics, which cut the size of the relevant code to about 25% of what it was before, kept compatibility high, and cured the instability.

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=892

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: MESS wins ! ...again. new [Re: jonwil]
#322497 - 02/24/14 12:47 AM

> Not 100% sure but I think one of the other big mistakes Apple made was to go against
> Jobs and not lower the price of the then-new Macintosh to sell more macs because
> doing so would have hurt sales of the Apple II.

Jobs might have used that as the reason, but I believe he just wanted to make something a bit more luxury and exclusive.

> Plenty of companies are like that, just look at the way Microsoft has acted when it
> comes to things they could (or even should) be doing but aren't doing because said
> things might hurt their core Windows or Office products somehow.

I'd be interested in an example, Microsoft often kill their cash cows. Their biggest problem is they get sued every time they do something sane as it's uncompetitive.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2689