View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: ]
#321592 - 02/07/14 04:50 PM

> They probably remember what immigrants do to the indigenous population.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Removal_Act_of_1830

Then this happens to their own citizens 112 years later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: krick]
#321596 - 02/07/14 06:22 PM

> > They probably remember what immigrants do to the indigenous population.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Removal_Act_of_1830
>
>
> Then this happens to their own citizens 112 years later...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

Yeah, but they looked different so it's ok.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#321597 - 02/07/14 06:27 PM

> I hate to even respond to your Indian trolling, but all the tribes had different
> languages, so it was even more of a mess than it is now.

It's not trolling just because it makes all your arguments about American history laughable.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: ]
#321598 - 02/07/14 06:36 PM

OK genius, yeah we should just have to let history keep repeating itself. They did it that way a few hundred years ago so fuck it, immigrants, bend me over a barrel. Brilliant.

When I talk about American history obviously I'm referring to the parts we're proud of. Or do you think I want slavery back too? Fuck we've done it before.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#321599 - 02/07/14 06:52 PM

> OK genius, yeah we should just have to let history keep repeating itself. They did it
> that way a few hundred years ago so fuck it, immigrants, bend me over a barrel.
> Brilliant.
>

Look, the only reason immigrants want to bend you over and fuck you in the ass is because you keep breaking into their homes and having your way with their mothers. If you would have just taken the time to wine and dine them first, none of this would have happened. On your head be it.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: Gor]
#321600 - 02/07/14 07:00 PM

That's not fair because in my defense I did ask them out for a nice seafood dinner first but as they couldn't understand English I had to make due with sign language that consisted of me pointing at their ass and then running my index finger in and out of a circle made with my other hand's thumb and index. It, did not turn them on.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#321601 - 02/07/14 07:52 PM Attachment: the-more-you-know.png 493 KB (0 downloads)

> That's not fair because in my defense I did ask them out for a nice seafood dinner
> first but as they couldn't understand English I had to make due with sign language
> that consisted of me pointing at their ass and then running my index finger in and
> out of a circle made with my other hand's thumb and index. It, did not turn them on.

OK, I understand what happened now. In all non-English speaking countries, that is the sign for "The dam has sprung a leak, can you help?"

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: Gor]
#321602 - 02/07/14 07:54 PM

Nah it translated fine once I ripped their clothes off.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#321605 - 02/07/14 08:45 PM

> Nah it translated fine once I ripped their clothes off.

Have any tips for the lad?

Just the tips.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#321666 - 02/08/14 01:32 PM

> > Not really. You made accusations against Americans. I pointed out that you did
> that.
>
> I gave you possible reasons why Americans might find themselves thinking they were
> victimised. One of them is that you're imagining it, the other were reasons why you
> deserve it. I'm not sure which is true, although your reaction is giving me some
> insight.
>
> > Because if they aren't, you're just saying you like to attack both Americans and
> > Koreans, when you previously claimed that people said these things about their own
> > countries.
>
> I haven't said I like attacking people. If people deserve derision or criticism then
> it doesn't matter what country they are from.
>
> > I'm just looking for the balance you said exists,
> > and you're the one that inserted
> > obscure American laws into a discussion of an ad that has no bearing on them.
>
> The ad was shown at the super bowl, the uniforms were at the super bowl. The ad was
> criticised for being anti-patriotic, using the flag on a uniform is illegal because
> it's anti-patriotic. The article was written by a US citizen. How is that not
> balanced?

"And," not ";".

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: ]
#321667 - 02/08/14 01:36 PM

> > If I moved to another country I would learn their language before and while doing
> so
> > so how is that a double standard?
>
> It's a pity the immigrants to America 200 years ago didn't do that, or you'd all be
> speaking native American now.
>
> English became the international business language because England took over so many
> countries. If Germany had been more successful in the first or second world wars then
> that would have become the dominate language.
>
> English is a mixture of many different languages because England was taken over by so
> many different countries.
>
> It's easy to say that English is the standard language of America so everyone should
> learn it, after you colonised the country and tried to eradicate the local language.

Which of the many languages spoken by the peoples of the pre-Columbian Americas would that be?

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Here ya go Star new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#321688 - 02/09/14 12:12 AM

A "flashmob" by the Kentucky State Choir during opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

edit to add: Amazing. And take the time to think about the lyrics. Imagine yourself an American prisoner of war locked in the hold of a British warship, asking the men above if they can still see the American flag flying over their camp... and because its night... only as the rockets explode over the camp can the men above see the American flag still flies through the night.

The following verses rarely sung are come morning... when the sun rises, they now see the flag is still being held aloft, though crooked, by the bodies of all the Americans who gave their life to ensure it stayed flying high while the British targeted it all night trying to knock it down; that they gave their lives so that symbol of freedom would still be standing there come morning.

A national anthem written at a time when Americans were still proud to be American.

Edited by Gatinho (02/09/14 12:34 AM)

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

MURCA! -nt- new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#321696 - 02/09/14 02:01 AM

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

*tears* [nt] new [Re: GatKong]
#321712 - 02/09/14 06:48 AM

so beautiful.

LEVEL-4

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#321719 - 02/09/14 12:20 PM

> > > Not really. You made accusations against Americans. I pointed out that you did
> > that.
> >
> > I gave you possible reasons why Americans might find themselves thinking they were
> > victimised. One of them is that you're imagining it, the other were reasons why you
> > deserve it. I'm not sure which is true, although your reaction is giving me some
> > insight.
> >
> > > Because if they aren't, you're just saying you like to attack both Americans and
> > > Koreans, when you previously claimed that people said these things about their
> own
> > > countries.
> >
> > I haven't said I like attacking people. If people deserve derision or criticism
> then
> > it doesn't matter what country they are from.
> >
> > > I'm just looking for the balance you said exists,
> > > and you're the one that inserted
> > > obscure American laws into a discussion of an ad that has no bearing on them.
> >
> > The ad was shown at the super bowl, the uniforms were at the super bowl. The ad was
> > criticised for being anti-patriotic, using the flag on a uniform is illegal because
> > it's anti-patriotic. The article was written by a US citizen. How is that not
> > balanced?
>
> "And," not ";".

ok?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#321720 - 02/09/14 12:26 PM

> Which of the many languages spoken by the peoples of the pre-Columbian Americas would
> that be?

Does it matter?

Just drop all the hypocrisy of hating immigrants when you only just turned up to the party and maybe people won't hate on you so hard.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: URherenow]
#321721 - 02/09/14 12:31 PM

> > He occasionally claims to be Christian when it suits him.
>
> Christian is a relatively broad term though (any person/group that believes in Jesus
> Christ).

Specifically you have to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, just believing that he existed isn't enough.

There is no requirement to live without sin etc.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#321732 - 02/09/14 07:19 PM

> > These songs were written in the common language of the entire US citizenry:
> English.
>
> I'm looking forward to you learning Spanish when that finally takes over.
>
> Languages are fluid, it's not something that is worth getting upset about.

It is worth getting upset about, because people aren't going to assimilate into wider American culture if they don't speak the dominant language. That is dangerous and must be nipped in the bud. There is an obvious and compelling national and economic interest in maintaining a single common language in the USA, as English is the common language of the US in all facets of modern American life and will remain so for many decades to come.

Do you want the US to become Yugoslavia, which split along ethnic and linguistic lines? Obviously, smf, you do not, but that's what you will ultimately end up doing if you promote that policy.

If you think the vast majority of Americans are going to tolerate changing their common language in their own country to suit whatever the current immigrant group is at the time, you are seriously mistaken. People will not take that lying down.

However, having said that, this doesn't mean that people can't speak their own languages in the privacy of their own homes, of course. It would be un-American to force that on people in their own homes.

However, in the public sphere, there is an obvious need for a common language. English already fills that role nicely in this great melting pot of a nation we have.

In short, smf, this matters a lot. You vastly underestimate how important this is.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Master O]
#321742 - 02/09/14 11:05 PM

> Do you want the US to become Yugoslavia, which split along ethnic and linguistic
> lines? Obviously, smf, you do not, but that's what you will ultimately end up doing
> if you promote that policy.

"Yugoslavia" was the result of people drawing arbitrary lines on a map after a world war and was never going to end well. The languages in the country (Serb, Croat, etc.) are virtually identical, not really any more different than US vs British English even though they’re written with different scrips. A lot of the resentment came from trying to force everyone to use the Serb conventions when there was no issue with understanding each other anyway.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#321747 - 02/09/14 11:56 PM

> > Do you want the US to become Yugoslavia, which split along ethnic and linguistic
> > lines? Obviously, smf, you do not, but that's what you will ultimately end up doing
> > if you promote that policy.
>
> "Yugoslavia" was the result of people drawing arbitrary lines on a map after a world
> war and was never going to end well. The languages in the country (Serb, Croat, etc.)
> are virtually identical, not really any more different than US vs British English
> even though they’re written with different scrips. A lot of the resentment came from
> trying to force everyone to use the Serb conventions when there was no issue with
> understanding each other anyway.

For this topic, I'll just refer back to the late owner of Geno's Steaks down in Philadelphia. He had a sign on his restaurant saying "This is America, speak English" and he refused to serve customers who didn't place their orders in English. I give him props for that. As a society, we should be able to choose whether or not to serve a customer if we don't understand a word they say. Let the resulting economics of that decision determine if it's a good choice or not. Eliminate any and all laws that state that you must offer foreign language menus, etc. If you open up a business in an area where you will suffer from not offering foreign language menus, etc., then the economics of the situation will determine if you survive. Don't allow any discrimination laws to get the government involved here. If someone is speaking English that is not able to be understood by those taking the orders, then they won't get served. Why should it matter if it's a different language?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Master O]
#321749 - 02/10/14 03:01 AM

> Do you want the US to become Yugoslavia, which split along ethnic and linguistic
> lines? Obviously, smf, you do not, but that's what you will ultimately end up doing
> if you promote that policy.

And you will end up like Nazi Germany if you keep on the path you want.

America needs immigrants & you can either choose to integrate with them or not. The advert promoted integration, while you seem to want to marginalise people who speak a different language.

I understand the issues, but stamping your feet isn't going to help. Instead it will have the opposite effect as they won't just disappear. Instead they will form their own communities and not have anything to do with you. At that point your fear that you might become the minority is quite likely to happen.

Edited by smf (02/10/14 03:02 AM)

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Jdurgi]
#321752 - 02/10/14 06:16 AM

> Eliminate any and all laws that state that you must offer foreign language menus

Is this a real law? If so, I want to report Taco Bell to the authorities for only displaying an English menu. Also, for serving shitty "food".

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#321754 - 02/10/14 07:14 AM

> > Do you want the US to become Yugoslavia, which split along ethnic and linguistic
> > lines? Obviously, smf, you do not, but that's what you will ultimately end up doing
> > if you promote that policy.
>
> And you will end up like Nazi Germany if you keep on the path you want.
>

Eh, no. That's not what's going to turn American into Naziville. It's the laws put in place to stop so-called "terrorists" -- such as checkpoints within freaking state lines (not just at the border of another country), TSA agents at airports conducting illegal (according to the 4th Amendment) searches, the alleged NSA spying/wiretapping, etc. -all in the name of "security".

A side note: it was mentioned somewhere about "gun toting" Americans being stupid. Eh, there is no argument against having a means of self defense. I mean, I don't own a gun, but if I lived in a neighborhood with a higher crime rate - I'd be the stupid one to not have something to defend myself with. But anyways. Back to the subject at hand....

> America needs immigrants & you can either choose to integrate with them or not. The
> advert promoted integration, while you seem to want to marginalise people who speak a
> different language.
>

IMO, the advert promoted Diversity. There was more than one language used. To expect everybody to learn every language of every other immigrant that emigrates here is just silly and unreasonable.

> I understand the issues, but stamping your feet isn't going to help. Instead it will
> have the opposite effect as they won't just disappear. Instead they will form their
> own communities and not have anything to do with you. At that point your fear that
> you might become the minority is quite likely to happen.

Citizens that speak a foreign language becoming a majority? Now you're just being ridiculous. Although, it is somewhat of a stereotype that 'Mexicans' have a lot of kids. But I doubt you were alluding to that... But children typically pick up a new language easier than their parents. OR, we would be a minority only in those communities... Yeah. That's the only way your statement is viable. In any of the other 95% of the country (apart from these non-English speaking communities) we'd be in the majority.

eta: "95%" yeah, I just pulled that one out of thin air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

Okay, 80% isn't too far off.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (02/10/14 07:19 AM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#321757 - 02/10/14 07:52 AM

> Citizens that speak a foreign language becoming a majority? Now you're just being
> ridiculous. Although, it is somewhat of a stereotype that 'Mexicans' have a lot of
> kids.

According to Google, 70% of Latinos are Catholic, and birth control is against the teachings of the Catholic church, so a higher birth rate is to be expected.

The thing that scares me isn't "foreigners". I'm scared of American citizens who are religious (usually Christian) fundamentalist nut-jobs and who also tend to be against birth control and modern education. That's a recipe for disaster in a democracy.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: krick]
#321759 - 02/10/14 09:57 AM

> > Citizens that speak a foreign language becoming a majority? Now you're just being
> > ridiculous. Although, it is somewhat of a stereotype that 'Mexicans' have a lot of
> > kids.
>
> According to Google, 70% of Latinos are Catholic, and birth control is against the
> teachings of the Catholic church, so a higher birth rate is to be expected.
>
>
> The thing that scares me isn't "foreigners". I'm scared of American citizens who are
> religious (usually Christian) fundamentalist nut-jobs and who also tend to be against
> birth control and modern education. That's a recipe for disaster in a democracy.

I'm not sure where being afraid of a group came up in this discussion, unless it's just an interesting Krick fact you felt needed to be shared. Well, thanks for the info.

Fundamentalists have been around for centuries. I can't recall any "disasters" that have befallen the country due to Christian fundamentalists... Maybe you can help me with that.

Also, why do you fear them? Are these types of people known to harm or kill people? I'm talking about large groups, not lone individuals. Since there have been some people that have claimed to be under the influence/direction of "Satan" whenever they killed people (so you can't pin it solely on any "Christian").

I'm going to guess that your supposed fear is irrational, which would put it into a category of a phobia. & like Yoda said;

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Jdurgi]
#321772 - 02/10/14 03:42 PM

> For this topic, I'll just refer back to the late owner of Geno's Steaks down in
> Philadelphia. He had a sign on his restaurant saying "This is America, speak English"
> and he refused to serve customers who didn't place their orders in English. I give
> him props for that. As a society, we should be able to choose whether or not to serve
> a customer if we don't understand a word they say. Let the resulting economics of
> that decision determine if it's a good choice or not. Eliminate any and all laws that
> state that you must offer foreign language menus, etc. If you open up a business in
> an area where you will suffer from not offering foreign language menus, etc., then
> the economics of the situation will determine if you survive. Don't allow any
> discrimination laws to get the government involved here. If someone is speaking
> English that is not able to be understood by those taking the orders, then they won't
> get served. Why should it matter if it's a different language?

Well taking that approach, you should also remove any laws stating that English must be used, and hope that economics would cause people to use English.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#321776 - 02/10/14 04:44 PM

> I'm not sure where being afraid of a group came up in this discussion,

It's all about fear, otherwise why do you care?

> IMO, the advert promoted Diversity. There was more than one language used. To expect
> everybody to learn every language of every other immigrant that emigrates here is
> just silly and unreasonable.

I never said you should, although you forced the native americans to do just that.

But by embracing diversity you promote integration. The people existed before the advert, maybe after seeing the advert they think "hey maybe we don't need to build our own community". But with the resultant backlash I expect non white Americans will see you as hate filled and pointless to deal with.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#321777 - 02/10/14 04:46 PM

You obviously know nothing about the layout here. They already have built their own communities here, since day 1.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Gor]
#321778 - 02/10/14 05:06 PM

> > Eliminate any and all laws that state that you must offer foreign language menus
>
> Is this a real law? If so, I want to report Taco Bell to the authorities for only
> displaying an English menu. Also, for serving shitty "food".

It isn't, but we shouldn't let things like "logic" and "reason" get in the way of a good conservative whinge-fest.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#321790 - 02/10/14 06:38 PM

> You obviously know nothing about the layout here. They already have built their own
> communities here, since day 1.

As did the white American's 200 years ago. You can either repeat the process and become the new Native American's, or figure out a way to get along.

It's not the first generation you need to worry about, it's the children. If you can get them to integrate then the future will be ok. If you keep banging on about how immigrants are evil then the parents will make sure that their children hate you too.

You managed to mess up relations with the blacks by bringing them into slavery and then even when that got abolished not letting them into the same places as white people. So I can understand why immigrants would build their own communities, America appears a pretty toxic environment for immigrants. Not everyone is racist, but it's enough of a problem that it will perpetuate until something big is done about it.

The same problems happen in the UK, but we've managed to deal with it a little better. We still have a long way to go though.

Edited by smf (02/10/14 06:43 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#321791 - 02/10/14 06:43 PM

Racism is dying off just fine, every generation has less. We're just talking about language here, even if you want to think it's more. On a large scale people here aren't going to become fluent in other languages. It makes sense that people moving here should learn to speak English. If they don't, I still won't hate them, but I will think they are dumb as fuck.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: This is what is pissing people off. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#321796 - 02/10/14 11:00 PM

> If they don't, I still won't hate them, but I will think they are dumb as fuck.

You won't hate them but you'll insult them and look down on them?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#321802 - 02/10/14 11:33 PM

That is precisely correct and if you can't comprehend it to the point of having to get me to restate it I'd say you're half retarded. Moving to any new country and making no effort to learn how to communicate with the people there is rude, arrogant and lazy. Yes I would look down on anyone who does that and probably make fun of them. But I don't hate them. I really don't hate anyone at all.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Here ya go Star new [Re: GatKong]
#321807 - 02/11/14 12:30 AM

Quote:

A national anthem written at a time when Americans were still proud to be American.

America needs to make Americans proud again. Live up to the image we built up of ourselves.

That said...the video was good. I got goosebumps listening to it.

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Send PM

WHY HASN'T THIS TURD BEEN FLUSHED TO THE WAR ROOM? new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#321810 - 02/11/14 01:32 AM

OH SHIT
Where did the war room go?
Xenophobic rants from Homophobic twats! STFU and learn a second language other than Klingon.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: WHY HASN'T THIS TURD BEEN FLUSHED TO THE WAR ROOM? new [Re: Darth Mario]
#321811 - 02/11/14 01:39 AM

I've been using the war room to do my rapes in so there hasn't been room for it but I'm done now so I will move this piece of shit.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: WTF Coke??? new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#321812 - 02/11/14 01:39 AM

The Coca-Cola Company is working on a new commercial where Osama bin Laden, wearing only a tricorn hat, sings the Star Spangled Banner in Arabic while dropping a Cleveland Steamer on our Lord and Savior. Would this make you:
Buy more Coke products
Buy less Coke products
Orc is a bast

View the results for this poll

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Total F*cking Nihilism new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#322856 - 03/05/14 08:13 AM

Snorting a pentagram of coke off of a bible

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Total F*cking Nihilism new [Re: Sune]
#322862 - 03/05/14 12:31 PM

> Snorting a pentagram of coke off of a bible

Would've been more impressive if it'd been in the shape of the THW logo.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Total F*cking Nihilism new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#322927 - 03/06/14 10:05 PM Attachment: thw.jpg 43 KB (0 downloads)

> > Snorting a pentagram of coke off of a bible
>
> Would've been more impressive if it'd been in the shape of the THW logo.

Vas ist den das?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Smitdogg 
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 36701