View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BlackGreen
Reged: 07/11/13
Send PM

SDL Mame: Mouse Acceleration?
#321246 - 02/01/14 11:37 PM

Hi:

I'm running SDL Mame on Linux and trying to get my mouse movement settings right. I am testing with both my Ultimarc U-Trak and regular mouse. My MAME analog sensitivity settings seem to be good at 230 - the regular mouse works fine at default 30 or 50 but U-Trak needs higher sensitivity. I've only been using Centipede for testing.

I've noticed that there is no actual "acceleration". It doesn't matter how fast I move the mouse: slow / short vs long / hard movements react the same and moves the player icon the same distance. Both the mouse and trackball have this issue.

Is the lack of acceleration specific to Centipede? A limitation of MAME? Or am I missing something?

For SDL, MAME seems to requrie "SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=1" in order to have correct mouse movements, otherwise invisible walls will occur. SDL_VIDEO_X11_MOUSEACCEL seems to have no effect within MAME (doesn't work with SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE on, anyway).

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: SDL Mame: Mouse Acceleration? new [Re: BlackGreen]
#321251 - 02/02/14 02:57 AM

Regarding acceleration, does the X11 mouse pointer on your desktop behave the way you expect? MAME and SDL just read what X11 does, they don't do any trickerations with the data.

> For SDL, MAME seems to requrie "SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=1" in order to have correct mouse
> movements, otherwise invisible walls will occur.

You should not require that setting assuming you are running MAME full screen. And using it with MAME is not really supported; we want to do our own relative/absolute handling internally to facilitate proper game compatibility.

For the record, Linux/Mac support is formally here; everyone on mameworld runs Windows.

BlackGreen
Send PM

Re: SDL Mame: Mouse Acceleration? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#321253 - 02/02/14 03:45 AM

I am able to correctly set mouse sensitivity / acceleration via these environment vars and also using "xset" outside of MAME. Like you mentioned, I am running MAME full-screen. I figured that X11 settings would have no bearing on MAME full-screen, but I was trying whatever I could find.

Since I am running MAME full-screen, and mouse control is determined completely by MAME, what are my options for adjusting acceleration?

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#321255 - 02/02/14 03:50 AM

> Since I am running MAME full-screen, and mouse control is determined completely by
> MAME, what are my options for adjusting acceleration?

Look for a sensitivity setting in the MAME OSD (press TAB).

(I know, it's not acceleration but it's something)

S

BlackGreen
Send PM

Re: SDL Mame: Mouse Acceleration? new [Re: Sune]
#321264 - 02/02/14 06:06 AM

> > Since I am running MAME full-screen, and mouse control is determined completely by
> > MAME, what are my options for adjusting acceleration?
>
> Look for a sensitivity setting in the MAME OSD (press TAB).
>
> (I know, it's not acceleration but it's something)
>
> S

For my trackball I have the sensitivity at 230, which feels about right. Just gotta find a way to adjust the acceleration

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#321268 - 02/02/14 06:43 AM

I don't think that centipede or any other arcade trackball game had "acceleration".

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

BlackGreen
Send PM

Re: SDL Mame: Mouse Acceleration? new [Re: krick]
#321270 - 02/02/14 08:35 AM

I was wondering about that. I need to find a real cabinet around here to confirm the trackball sensitivity as well.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: SDL Mame: Mouse Acceleration? new [Re: krick]
#321376 - 02/03/14 05:33 PM

> I don't think that centipede or any other arcade trackball game had "acceleration".

The weight of the trackball provides some inertia, which feels like acceleration. PC trackballs are typically too small/light to give the same effect (which is good for doing pixel-precise Photoshop or whatever, but makes Centipede and Marble Madness less fun).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2294