MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: The Zone
Send PM

Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms)
#320877 - 01/24/14 12:40 PM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farsight.AndroidPinball.javaProject

http://www.pinballarcade.com/

http://blog.djbarney.org/pinball-arcade-android-game-hey-pinball-wizard/

You've probably checked out a hundred Android games but this one is different. Reminds me very much of this forum and MAME. Attention to detail. Table history. Table flyer. I played Terminator 2, a table I've played for real. The ball was doing obscure little things that it does on the real table. That got my attention. Check this out ! They give you 1 free table and some free play on the others.

Interesting thing here is that Farsight have applied and received permission from all the original manufacturers and licensees. It can be done ! How long before someone does this with arcade cabinets?

Playing for keeps in Arcadia

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms) new [Re: grobda]
#320878 - 01/24/14 03:08 PM

It's on Steam also, but it has very poor quality. It's actually exactly the same as the Android version, with low resolution textures and all.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms) new [Re: Ramirez]
#320879 - 01/24/14 03:14 PM

> It's on Steam also, but it has very poor quality. It's actually exactly the same as
> the Android version, with low resolution textures and all.

That is why I removed it after I saw the graphics aren't that great. Look better on the iPad though.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms) new [Re: Dullaron]
#320881 - 01/24/14 03:23 PM

TPA. It's been a rough ride supporting this from the beginning.
Using it on my Mac and releases have been from excellent to buggy beyond playable. Customer support is HOR-RI-BLE and officially reported bugs are simply ignored. BUt other than that, It IS the best pinball software around, and the PS4-version looks absolutely STUNNING! The payment system is fair-ish, though the pro tables are a bit overpriced.

Spent a lot of money on this already and must say it sees regular gameplay, but I also own 2 real pinball machines so I tend to go for the real thing lately. though it is really good for exploring cabinets you might have a chance of playing in the near future.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: The Zone
Send PM

Re: Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms) new [Re: Dullaron]
#320954 - 01/26/14 01:58 PM

> > It's on Steam also, but it has very poor quality. It's actually > > the Android version, with low resolution textures and all.
>
> That is why I removed it after I saw the graphics aren't that great. Look better on
> the iPad though.

Only thing I noticed on my tablet is that turning off "mip mapping" improves the textures. Apart from that I don't have any problems. I suppose on steam and on a larger screen things may be different. I tried pro mode on one of the tables. Table exploration could do with camera tilting as well as x, y, z movement.

So comments about the licensing that Farsight have been able to achieve ? I've seen it said that the licensing is complex. I also wonder if they used any pinball emu projects listed on this site ? MAME could be used to faithfully recreate arcade classics ... after all this is what the project was created to do, right ? Recreation is the key word as many roms run under mame would not be playable on many devices (as found when trying to use various emulators) due to cpu overheads. An arcade project in the spirit of Pinball Arcade could recreate various arcade classics with all the idiosycrasies of the original game, as well as the history, flyers. With a donation to the MAME project I would hope.

Playing for keeps in Arcadia

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms) new [Re: grobda]
#320970 - 01/26/14 10:43 PM

I suspect that (with the exception of machines featuring licensed subject matter) the ownership of pinball machines is much easier to sort out than the ownership of many video games.
There is most likely no "home port" rights to get in the way plus pinball machines weren't generally licensed to different companies in different countries. And there generally tends to be one entity involved in creating them. Plus tracing the ownership of the pinball rights from the big pinball manufacturers is generally not that hard. Oh and unlike video games, there is generally no prospect of a pinball machine making money via re-releases or collections or whatever.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Authentic pinball table recreations. Pinball Arcade ! (Android & other platforms) new [Re: jonwil]
#321057 - 01/28/14 09:30 PM

Quote:

Oh and unlike video games, there is generally no prospect of a pinball machine making money via re-releases or collections or whatever.

None of the companies besides Stern even exist on paper.

@Grobda: dude, why?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1428