Pages: 1

xelnia
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/22/14
Send PM

Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons
#320736 - 01/22/14 10:21 PM

Hello all,

First, my apologies if this post is in the incorrect forum. I was lead here by the "Contact" page at mamedev.org since I'm trying to report a possible bug. Second, this is my first attempt at reporting a bug so please forgive me if my terminology and explanations aren't quite correct.

My issue concerns the control setup for Tutankham in MAME. Right now the default control scheme in MAME is for one joystick to control the character, two buttons for firing the laser, and one button for using the flash bomb. You can see in the game history that it's set up for 3 buttons.

However, the Tutankham arcade machine uses TWO joysticks. The 2nd joystick is a 2-way that is used for firing left and right. As such, it is only possible to fire in one direction at a time. MAME maps these directions to buttons that can be used simultaneously.

Tut schematics

Does this count as a "bug"? Am I missing something incredibly obvious? Thanks again for your help!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons new [Re: xelnia]
#320748 - 01/23/14 01:32 AM

> Hello all,
>
> First, my apologies if this post is in the incorrect forum. I was lead here by the
> "Contact" page at mamedev.org since I'm trying to report a possible bug. Second, this
> is my first attempt at reporting a bug so please forgive me if my terminology and
> explanations aren't quite correct.
>
> My issue concerns the control setup for Tutankham in MAME. Right now the default
> control scheme in MAME is for one joystick to control the character, two buttons for
> firing the laser, and one button for using the flash bomb. You can see in the game
> history that it's set up for 3 buttons.
>
> However, the Tutankham arcade machine uses TWO joysticks. The 2nd joystick is a 2-way
> that is used for firing left and right. As such, it is only possible to fire in one
> direction at a time. MAME maps these directions to buttons that can be used
> simultaneously.
>
> Tut schematics
>
>
> Does this count as a "bug"? Am I missing something incredibly obvious? Thanks again
> for your help!

Not nessecerially a bug as to the game it can still be argued they'd be buttons as a joystick is basically 4 buttons in the cardinal directions. I can't remember if there was a mechanism in mame to prevent two buttons being pressed at once on these types of games.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#320754 - 01/23/14 01:58 AM

This isn't generally considered to be a bug - if you want the mechanical interlock, you should map a joystick to those inputs.

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#320761 - 01/23/14 04:16 AM

Ok, thanks for reporting this =)
We don't have an official forum, but we do have a site for reporting bugs, it's: http://mametesters.org/

I agree it should be mapped as a 2 way joystick in MAME, issue will be fixed soon.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons new [Re: Naoki]
#320763 - 01/23/14 04:41 AM

When I was young, and Tut was newish, the machine we had here actually had no 2nd joystick to shoot. It had 2 buttons to shoot L or R. Unfortunately I can't remember(due to Alzheimers?) if you could fire both directions simultaneously. Not very helpful afraid.

Edit: Ours didn't have that control panel type so it was probably a bootleg or repaired cab with the buttons added as a cheap replacement???

Edited by Bad A Billy (01/23/14 04:45 AM)

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#320771 - 01/23/14 06:18 AM

Here is an official manual. Shows 2 joysticks

http://i.imgur.com/e2wAKUG.png

xelnia
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/22/14
Send PM

Re: Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons new [Re: hap]
#320784 - 01/23/14 10:20 AM

Great. Thank you! Should I submit something over at mametesters or are you already on it?

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#320816 - 01/23/14 07:39 PM

no need, i'm on it =)

It's just a reminder for a next time you find a bug.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

For the technically impaired...... new [Re: hap]
#320856 - 01/24/14 05:56 AM

How do you know the game was coded that way?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: For the technically impaired...... new [Re: Traso]
#320862 - 01/24/14 06:41 AM

> How do you know the game was coded that way?

Eh? The emulation demonstrates that the game is coded to support shooting left/right or simultaneously left and right, to accept these inputs without any real limitation.

However, there is a hardware limitation evident in the physical control panels and documented in the manual that the game physically can only shoot left OR right at any one time, not both simultaneously. So hap is changing it. Not only is it inaccurate but it makes the game easier.

Rarely, we leave this as an option for the user. But when such a thing is noticed, it's usually changed to not just emulate the game but also simulate the requirements of the physical game.

I feel like I'm missing something in your question.

- Stiletto

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons new [Re: joey35car]
#320917 - 01/25/14 06:58 AM

> Here is an official manual. Shows 2 joysticks
>
> http://i.imgur.com/e2wAKUG.png

Not that it needs to be confirmed, but I played Tutankham quite a lot in many different arcades and every cabinet I've seen had two joysticks and one button as the OP indicated.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: For the technically impaired...... new [Re: Stiletto]
#321055 - 01/28/14 09:18 PM

Quote:

documented in the manual that the game physically can only shoot left OR right at any one time, not both simultaneously

- Stiletto

Key piece of info for me. Thanks. Still, since it was only a controls thing, I request that it be switchable in-game.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: For the technically impaired...... new [Re: Traso]
#321059 - 01/28/14 09:33 PM

> documented in the manual that the game physically can only shoot left OR right at any
> one time, not both simultaneously
>
> - Stiletto
>
>
> Key piece of info for me. Thanks. Still, since it was only a controls thing, I
> request that it be switchable in-game.

Easy with the new code.. just use -joystick_contradictory command-line argument to allow left+right at the same time.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Tutankham - Joystick or Buttons new [Re: Matty_]
#321144 - 01/30/14 12:40 PM

> This isn't generally considered to be a bug - if you want the mechanical interlock,
> you should map a joystick to those inputs.

I disagree, if the game had two joysticks we should say it was two joysticks. Otherwise we should map every joystick as four buttons.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: For the technically impaired...... new [Re: Tafoid]
#321155 - 01/30/14 07:51 PM

> > documented in the manual that the game physically can only shoot left OR right at
> any
> > one time, not both simultaneously
> >
> > - Stiletto
> >
> >
> > Key piece of info for me. Thanks. Still, since it was only a controls thing, I
> > request that it be switchable in-game.
>
> Easy with the new code.. just use -joystick_contradictory command-line argument to
> allow left+right at the same time.

Geez, I'm not even sure I knew that command-line argument. *files away*

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3409