MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

System requirement for running MAME question.
#320675 - 01/21/14 03:07 PM

My friend said his computer reboot each time that he click on the MAME. He doesn't know why it is doing this.

His spec.

Intel Pen 4 2.40ghz 32 Bit, 1GB RAM, Intel Motherboard, XP Pro 2002 SP3, NVIDIA Geforce 620 and Direct X installed.

He just want to know what is the requirement is.

By the way. I didn't find any requirement over at the website. So I can't show him.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: Dullaron]
#320678 - 01/21/14 03:51 PM

> My friend said his computer reboot each time that he click on the MAME. He doesn't
> know why it is doing this.
>
> His spec.
>
> Intel Pen 4 2.40ghz 32 Bit, 1GB RAM, Intel Motherboard, XP Pro 2002 SP3, NVIDIA
> Geforce 620 and Direct X installed.
>
> He just want to know what is the requirement is.
>
> By the way. I didn't find any requirement over at the website. So I can't show him.

He needs older (circa 2010) Nvidia drivers. Recent 32-bit XP drivers are bugged and causes MAME to hang, blue screen and otherwise reboot your computer without warning attempting to use D3D. You can evade this by using -video ddraw, or trying to find an earlier driver for his video card. Perhaps use the driver disc that came with his computer, if possible.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: Tafoid]
#320684 - 01/21/14 06:12 PM

> He needs older (circa 2010) Nvidia drivers. Recent 32-bit XP drivers are bugged and
> causes MAME to hang, blue screen and otherwise reboot your computer without warning
> attempting to use D3D. You can evade this by using -video ddraw, or trying to find an
> earlier driver for his video card. Perhaps use the driver disc that came with his
> computer, if possible.

I'll second that. Windows Update of all things broke my Sempron 140 system by downloading and installing newer Nvidia drivers over the top of the "known good" ones a month or two ago.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#320822 - 01/23/14 08:57 PM

Windows Update of all things broke my Sempron 140 system by
> downloading and installing newer Nvidia drivers over the top of the "known good" ones
> a month or two ago.

I saw that one, and said 'NO'.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#344089 - 08/16/15 02:50 PM

Can I say, those are some strange specs. It's tending toward the lower end, but then you have a Gforce 620.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: Vaughan]
#344247 - 08/20/15 09:11 PM

> Can I say, those are some strange specs. It's tending toward the lower end, but then you have a Gforce 620.

Not even tending. A fucking gig of ram? So, yup, sorta weird.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

L-Lawliet
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/27/15
Send PM

#345634 - 09/29/15 11:02 AM

With those specs i would recommend to your friend to use an older mame version like mame32 because with those specs the new version wont work properly (betwen using my gaming rig for mame and the old for games wich one you think i choose) my specs are almost the same and mame has a bug (no bug report subforum?) and only work on newer systems so my advice would be to use older versions only and command line version (i use those on my mame rig) so try since 0.143 to before that,the one i know it works no matter what is the good old faithfull mame32 it will work and run the neogeo games at full speed even on a celeron 300 mhz,gpu 32 Mb,and 256 Mb of ram this is the reccomended for old pc unless you want to play newer games.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: L-Lawliet]
#345635 - 09/29/15 11:14 AM

> mame has a bug

MAME doesn't have a bug you mentioned. you just have incorrect ROM set. that's all.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: Tafoid]
#345638 - 09/29/15 01:57 PM

> > My friend said his computer reboot each time that he click on the MAME. He doesn't
> > know why it is doing this.
> >
> > His spec.
> >
> > Intel Pen 4 2.40ghz 32 Bit, 1GB RAM, Intel Motherboard, XP Pro 2002 SP3, NVIDIA
> > Geforce 620 and Direct X installed.
> >
> > He just want to know what is the requirement is.
> >
> > By the way. I didn't find any requirement over at the website. So I can't show him.
>
>
> He needs older (circa 2010) Nvidia drivers. Recent 32-bit XP drivers are bugged and
> causes MAME to hang, blue screen and otherwise reboot your computer without warning
> attempting to use D3D. You can evade this by using -video ddraw, or trying to find an
> earlier driver for his video card. Perhaps use the driver disc that came with his
> computer, if possible.

Totally agree here... that happened with my P4 3,4Ghz and a Nvidia 7300 too. After using older drivers, no problem at all. I guess it is not even the newer drivers, but rather a direct x problem (could be wrong here).
And against all the statements regarding that newer MAME versions dont work... BS.. i can use the newest MAME with the P4 and XP rig, without any problems. True is only, that you may play better some games with older MAME versions and hardware that is that old . But I didnt want to miss the new HLSL on my rig.

L-Lawliet
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: abelenki]
#345645 - 09/29/15 06:48 PM

> > mame has a bug
>
> MAME doesn't have a bug you mentioned. you just have incorrect ROM set. that's all.
Mame has a bug in fact i never mentioned a romset the bug is when they made the pass from windows xp to newer windows versions they messed up the code of d3d9.
Because if something that shouldnt pass happens it means there is a big fat bug.
Normally all the command line based software have a locked up ram in this scenario the command line is not allowed to use more than 15 Mb of ram (counting the max list mame does is fine) now mame without loading anything on command line use around 300 Mb of ram (lmost the same ammount used by windows xp) and on emulation takes more ram depending on the system will be form 120 Mb to 500 Mb on Neogeo and CPS2 to 1.2 GB more than that ram hasnt used so if what you said is true what other explanation for something imposible to pass on command line you have

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#345652 - 09/29/15 08:38 PM

> > > mame has a bug
> >
> > MAME doesn't have a bug you mentioned. you just have incorrect ROM set. that's all.
>
> Mame has a bug in fact i never mentioned a romset the bug is when they made the pass
> from windows xp to newer windows versions they messed up the code of d3d9.
> Because if something that shouldnt pass happens it means there is a big fat bug.
> Normally all the command line based software have a locked up ram in this scenario
> the command line is not allowed to use more than 15 Mb of ram (counting the max list
> mame does is fine) now mame without loading anything on command line use around 300
> Mb of ram (lmost the same ammount used by windows xp) and on emulation takes more ram
> depending on the system will be form 120 Mb to 500 Mb on Neogeo and CPS2 to 1.2 GB
> more than that ram hasnt used so if what you said is true what other explanation for
> something imposible to pass on command line you have

L-Lawliet
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#345654 - 09/29/15 09:44 PM

I think the developers are more stupid by using software rasterizer instead of taking advantage of gpu and others goodies /( ˇwˇ)7
Using software rasterizer instead of using opengl for emulation that is way stupid (you can emulate naomi with a setup similar to the one your friend has using other better emulator)
This emulator it could run faster if either they change the core and start using gpu or they start writing everything in assembly (accurate and faster emulation)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#345655 - 09/29/15 09:46 PM

> I think the developers are more stupid by using software rasterizer instead of taking
> advantage of gpu and others goodies /( ˇwˇ)7
> Using software rasterizer instead of using opengl for emulation that is way stupid
> (you can emulate naomi with a setup similar to the one your friend has using other
> better emulator)
> This emulator it could run faster if either they change the core and start using gpu
> or they start writing everything in assembly (accurate and faster emulation)

lol

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: System requirement for running MAME question. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#345658 - 09/29/15 10:17 PM

> > I think the developers are more stupid by using software rasterizer instead of
> taking
> > advantage of gpu and others goodies /( ˇwˇ)7
> > Using software rasterizer instead of using opengl for emulation that is way stupid
> > (you can emulate naomi with a setup similar to the one your friend has using other
> > better emulator)
> > This emulator it could run faster if either they change the core and start using
> gpu
> > or they start writing everything in assembly (accurate and faster emulation)
>
> lol

Locking Thread. The discussion was asked + answered nearly 2 years ago. If you have a valid point for discussion, refrain from bumping unless you fully understand the original posting.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2577