MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MSFT
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/18/13
Send PM

There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM.
#320581 - 01/19/14 09:25 PM

Otherwise, some easter eggs won't be usable!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM. new [Re: MSFT]
#320582 - 01/19/14 10:16 PM

> Otherwise, some easter eggs won't be usable!

Most games I've played on with an RTC still let you set the time but MAME uses your PC's time for the RTC simulation

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

MSFT
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM. new [Re: Naoki]
#320591 - 01/20/14 12:01 AM

> > Otherwise, some easter eggs won't be usable!
>
> Most games I've played on with an RTC still let you set the time but MAME uses your
> PC's time for the RTC simulation

I mean, there must be an option for MAME not to use our PC's time for the RTC simulation.

Naoki
Send PM

#320592 - 01/20/14 12:01 AM

> > > Otherwise, some easter eggs won't be usable!
> >
> > Most games I've played on with an RTC still let you set the time but MAME uses your
> > PC's time for the RTC simulation
>
> I mean, there must be an option for MAME not to use our PC's time for the RTC
> simulation.

AFAIK it's hard coded like that.

----

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#320605 - 01/20/14 02:26 AM

> Most games I've played on with an RTC still let you set the time but MAME uses your

The RTC that are implemented correctly will default to the pc's date and time at startup and then update it at the emulation speed. If you save state and then reload it then the date and time will carry on from when it was saved. If you play an inp back then it will set the date and time to what it was when you recorded. If you change the date/time in test mode then it will just carry on from that time. One second of emulated machine time will advance the clock by one second.

I don't believe there is a way to pass in date/time in the command line for games that don't allow you to set the date/time in test mode. I think it's expected that if the game is using the date/time for anything that it will have a way of the operator setting it.

Some RTC in MAME have been incorrectly emulated by continuously reading the PC's RTC, which causes several issues. If there are any still left then bugs should be opened at mametesters

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#320620 - 01/20/14 09:54 AM

> Otherwise, some easter eggs won't be usable!

Hi Javier!

MSFT
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320744 - 01/23/14 12:55 AM

Perhaps the feature I requested requires very special code...

Naoki
Send PM

#320745 - 01/23/14 01:18 AM

> Perhaps the feature I requested requires very special code...

A work around is to find the RTC part number that a game uses and see if you can find out what date the RTC defaults to when there's no set time. Having said that, my Midway/Atari Seattle board when it has no data in the RTC complains in the RTC test screen and says it's invalid data so it'd need to be set correctly anyway

----

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#320794 - 01/23/14 12:28 PM

> A work around is to find the RTC part number that a game uses and see if you can find
> out what date the RTC defaults to when there's no set time.

They will usually start counting as soon as there is power supplied & they might start from random unless someone sets it. We assume that the date/time has been set correctly at some point and that the battery has kept it up to date.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#320795 - 01/23/14 12:29 PM

> I mean, there must be an option for MAME not to use our PC's time for the RTC
> simulation.

must?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#320807 - 01/23/14 05:24 PM

> Perhaps the feature I requested requires very special code...

Nah, it's just that you've made yourself persona non grata over at the Bannister.org forums by constantly nattering at us about how we "must" add Intel 440FX chipset support to MESS, and given the amount of developer overlap between there and here, I can't think of a single solitary person on these forums who would even remotely be willing to take requests from you as to what "must" be added to MESS. Please just go away.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM. new [Re: ]
#320808 - 01/23/14 05:28 PM

> > I mean, there must be an option for MAME not to use our PC's time for the RTC
> > simulation.
>
> must?

It's Javier Donoso, everything is a "must" with him. We "must" add Intel 440FX support, we "must" add the option for MAME to not use the PC's local time for RTC initialization.

Overall it's a pretty fair deal, though. He tells us that we "must" do these things and we ignore him, and he ignores us when we tell him that he "must" go away and stop bothering us.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#320809 - 01/23/14 06:12 PM

> > Perhaps the feature I requested requires very special code...
>
> Nah, it's just that you've made yourself persona non grata over at the Bannister.org
> forums by constantly nattering at us about how we "must" add Intel 440FX chipset
> support to MESS, and given the amount of developer overlap between there and here, I
> can't think of a single solitary person on these forums who would even remotely be
> willing to take requests from you as to what "must" be added to MESS. Please just go
> away.

Not only us, he's infamous on at least half a dozen emulation-related forums. BOCHS, DOSBox, anything PC-emulation related he trolls hardcore.

MSFT
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320956 - 01/26/14 05:43 PM

Well, the "must" I use is not for disrespect.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#320959 - 01/26/14 06:30 PM

> Well, the "must" I use is not for disrespect.

Humor me, Ronaldo: You constantly demand things from the MESS developers and other emulator developers well after they've told you they have no interest in capitulating to your demands. You've done this far and wide across emulation forums, and have wound up banned on numerous forums (VOGONS, DOSBox, etc.) because of it. I don't know why you haven't been booted from the Bannister forums or here for the same. At least I was banned from here for a long while for cursing people out, which makes sense, but it takes serious skill to get yourself banned from multiple forums just over begging for features. What would you call what you're doing other than disrespect?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#320965 - 01/26/14 08:52 PM

I don't know any of the backstory on this guy, but my first impression after reading his original post is that English isn't his first language, and what he meant was something like...

MAME should have an option to initialize the RTC with an arbitrary date/time because it would enable us to manually trigger Easter Eggs.

...which doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing for MAME (or some port of MAME) to have. People wish openly for MAME features all the time, some of which eventually become reality.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM. new [Re: krick]
#320984 - 01/27/14 02:07 AM

> People wish openly for MAME features all the time, some of which eventually
> become reality.

Generally not if someone asks for them though, otherwise people learn to expect it.

Alegend45
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/28/12
Send PM

#320987 - 01/27/14 05:12 AM

> Well, the "must" I use is not for disrespect.

MSFT
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: There must be an option to initialize RTC from NVRAM. new [Re: krick]
#321169 - 01/31/14 01:23 AM

> I don't know any of the backstory on this guy, but my first impression after reading
> his original post is that English isn't his first language, and what he meant was
> something like...
>
> MAME should have an option to initialize the RTC with an arbitrary date/time because
> it would enable us to manually trigger Easter Eggs.
>
>
> ...which doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing for MAME (or some port of MAME) to
> have. People wish openly for MAME features all the time, some of which eventually
> become reality.
You finally corrected me!
Thank you in advance!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#321739 - 02/09/14 10:24 PM

> > > I mean, there must be an option for MAME not to use our PC's time for the RTC
> > > simulation.
> >
> > must?
>
> It's Javier Donoso, everything is a "must" with him. We "must" add Intel 440FX
> support, we "must" add the option for MAME to not use the PC's local time for RTC
> initialization.
>
> Overall it's a pretty fair deal, though. He tells us that we "must" do these things
> and we ignore him, and he ignores us when we tell him that he "must" go away and stop
> bothering us.

We "must" ban MSFT/Javier Donoso from the forum, then.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#321789 - 02/10/14 06:35 PM

> > Otherwise, some easter eggs won't be usable!
>

They should only use the PC time at startup, if you then change it they'll carry on counting from where you set it. If you replay an INP then it sets the date and time to when the INP was recorded, so that when it gets played back it will have the same behaviour.

No matter where the time comes from, if the game only runs at 50% of speed then the time will count at 50% of real time. i.e. it only ever reads the time from your pc once (some people have implemented rtc's differently but they eventually get changed to work properly).

A command line option for setting the RTC date/time instead of using the PC clock is something that could be easily added, if someone cared enough.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2182