View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Rychem
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/07/06
Send PM

MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games
#319893 - 01/07/14 02:31 AM

Article run today on the USA today web site about MAME.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/saltzman/2014/01/05/mame-arcade-games/4264261/

Story ends with "MAME developers claim this project is about education and preservation of older games rather than promoting piracy."

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: Rychem]
#319927 - 01/07/14 03:36 PM

Am I the only one that saw this article who's first thought was, "Dammit. Unwanted media attention."

-Mc

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: McHale]
#319928 - 01/07/14 04:46 PM

Every time I think that, nothing happens. If the Internet Archive can hand out a zip file with every rom in it, I'm thinking nobody cares what we do.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: Smitdogg]
#319931 - 01/07/14 06:10 PM

Nothing Ever happens. BUt It's scary every time.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: Smitdogg]
#319934 - 01/07/14 08:28 PM

> Every time I think that, nothing happens. If the Internet Archive can hand out a zip
> file with every rom in it, I'm thinking nobody cares what we do.

Yup. Still a "oh no" moment every time it happens though.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#319940 - 01/07/14 09:17 PM

> Story ends with "MAME developers claim this project is about education and
> preservation of older games rather than promoting piracy."

The project is purely about documentation of the hardware and the software that runs on it.

Preservation is handled by the people providing dumps.

I'm not sure where education comes in.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: ]
#319941 - 01/07/14 09:24 PM

> > Story ends with "MAME developers claim this project is about education and
> > preservation of older games rather than promoting piracy."
>
> The project is purely about documentation of the hardware and the software that runs
> on it.
>
> Preservation is handled by the people providing dumps.
>
> I'm not sure where education comes in.

I think they mean what you call Documentation. To be able to 'educate' one about the inner workings of a machine

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#319947 - 01/08/14 12:03 AM

> Story ends with "MAME developers claim this project is about education and
> preservation of older games rather than promoting piracy."

Can You feel the sarcasm in this author's conclusion ?
Can You ?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: CTOJAH]
#319948 - 01/08/14 12:43 AM

> > Story ends with "MAME developers claim this project is about education and
> > preservation of older games rather than promoting piracy."
>
> Can You feel the sarcasm in this author's conclusion ?
> Can You ?

It's weird because the article is mostly positive, but that last statement does seem a bit loaded.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Until they do.... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#319968 - 01/08/14 05:26 AM

I've been toying with MAME (and other emus) since version .58 and too be honest, I'm surprised the whole scene hasn't been sued out of existence by now. It's like there is this unspoken understanding between the emulation community and the game industry. What has been proven is that MAME, and projects like it have not impacted the games industry financially. Given the industry could've easily gone down the same path as the music/movie business, its refreshing to see ours take the high road.

What gets me is that if there were an iTunes like service available for Roms that I could actually purchase/download DRM free roms playable in a MAME like emulator with a focus in features/playability, it would do very well I think. Of course the roms would have to be fully playable in any emulator, not just the iRoms client Maybe I'm wrong and there aren't enough of us old farts about around to warrant the effort.

Edited by vram74 (01/08/14 06:02 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MAME emulates the golden age of arcade games new [Re: DMala]
#319989 - 01/08/14 01:20 PM

I've seen it happen on multiple occasions, someone new writing an article, rave about how great it is and then ultimately feel guilty for downloading roms and let that come out in their writing. In this case though it kind of matters how they pronounced "claim". If it's like they CLAIM... Then there is sarcasm. If it's calm then not as much. But still feeling guilty because they got so much for free.

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

Re: Until they do.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#320031 - 01/09/14 08:45 AM

> I've been toying with MAME (and other emus) since version .58 and too be honest, I'm
> surprised the whole scene hasn't been sued out of existence by now. It's like there
> is this unspoken understanding between the emulation community and the game industry.
> What has been proven is that MAME, and projects like it have not impacted the games
> industry financially. Given the industry could've easily gone down the same path as
> the music/movie business, its refreshing to see ours take the high road.
>
> What gets me is that if there were an iTunes like service available for Roms that I
> could actually purchase/download DRM free roms playable in a MAME like emulator with
> a focus in features/playability, it would do very well I think. Of course the roms
> would have to be fully playable in any emulator, not just the iRoms client Maybe I'm
> wrong and there aren't enough of us old farts about around to warrant the effort.

It was actually tried before. Aside from charging waaaay too much (each game was I believe 2 dollars and lets face it, 50% of what is in mame isn't worth 10 cents). What ultimately killed it was legal issues. It's quite hard to track down the actual copyright holders to some of these games.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Until they do.... new [Re: HowardC]
#320037 - 01/09/14 01:38 PM

IIRC it was more complex than just "who owns this"

For any given ROM, any or all of the following might have rights over it that would affect sales for a home emulation environment:
The developer who produced the game
The publisher who published it
A different developer or publisher who currently holds rights to it (rights to the ROM, home rights for the game or some other rights)
Developers, publishers or distributors who have the rights to the game in different countries
3rd parties who contributed IP to the game (e.g. Star Wars games need rights from Disney/Lucas, Moo Mesa needs rights from whoever made the cartoon, Suzuka 8 Hours needs rights from Coca-Cola and others, NBA on NBC needs rights from the NBA, NBC and others, Road Runner needs rights from Warner, Konami music games need rights from the owners of the music)

Even ignoring that, a lot of companies want more control over the distribution of their games than ROMs for MAME would give them. Not to mention issues where games companies dont want ROMs being distributed because they would rather you bought/played a newer similar game (e.g. latest Namco Museum/PacMan title instead of PacMan the original arcade ROM or Street Fighter IV instead of original Street Fighter arcade ROMs)

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#320050 - 01/09/14 07:35 PM

> What gets me is that if there were an iTunes like service available for Roms that I
> could actually purchase/download DRM free roms playable in a MAME like emulator with
> a focus in features/playability, it would do very well I think.

Good ol' StarROMs.com ...RIP...lol.

http://slashdot.org/story/06/02/27/1645242/starroms-closes-doors

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Until they do.... new [Re: Trebor]
#320061 - 01/10/14 12:02 AM

I admit that there are so many hurdles to overcome, that an "iRoms" service is virtually unworkable, but its nice to dream about

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#320062 - 01/10/14 12:12 AM

> I admit that there are so many hurdles to overcome, that an "iRoms" service is
> virtually unworkable, but its nice to dream about

It'll never happen anyway, as what the customer actually wants means very little to these companies.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: The Zone
Send PM

Re: Until they do.... new [Re: jonwil]
#320102 - 01/10/14 06:42 PM

So same as the film industry ? Problem is it would be a bit like selling ISO's of movies rather than the full product. The full arcade product was rom, board, monitor, cabinet, artwork. Would there be a market for that ? I'll leave that to the market researchers. But as the article says, instant access, instant playability. Things go in cycles. I can see the seaside arcade returning one day.

Playing for keeps in Arcadia

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3254