MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Well that is certainly interesting...
#319697 - 01/03/14 05:25 AM

http://io9.com/scientists-master-levitation-of-small-objects-with-soun-1492781926

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Well that is certainly interesting... new [Re: italie]
#319699 - 01/03/14 05:36 AM

It's definitely cool looking, but I wonder if there are any practical applications. I'm thinking the energy required to levitate anything substantial would be dangerous to anyone/anything with ears.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Well that is certainly interesting... new [Re: DMala]
#319701 - 01/03/14 06:01 AM

Everything has some future application, even if unforeseen, like revolutionizing cooking because of an accidentally melted candybar in a subject's pocket on an experimental new way to transmit information using microwaves. Hence the microwave oven danger to wearers of the old pacemakers, which were programmed within the body using that new tranmission.

But we really won't be great at moving heavy objects until the day comes when we discover the real physics behind gravity... exactly HOW does this force get exerted between two otherwise unconnected bodies, beyond just the "heavy balls on a tight sheet" analogy for a gravitational dimention. Until we get beyond such teleologic explainations, we still need to overcome gravity as it is to get anything done.

But, yeah, italie, that's kewl.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Well that is certainly interesting... new [Re: italie]
#319703 - 01/03/14 08:32 AM

Impressive achievement imo even though objects are small.

*o/t*

Watching the video does remind me of Joe Jackson's Heaven and Hell album from late 1990s with lyrics of "....I've found the cure for gravity..." (at at 4:39 on video) from Fugue 2 / Song of Daedalus (PRIDE)

Joe Jackson & Friends on PBS late 1990s tv series SESSIONS AT 54 WEST

Joe Jackson Fugue 2 / Song of Daedalus (PRIDE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OLzW9DEo0

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1490