Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Is Santa white?
#318878 - 12/18/13 05:26 AM

"Santa," who's imaginary visage derives from the Norwegian Papa Noel, who hails from the Nordic North, is Nordic… which is pretty much as white as white gets.

Why are people getting all bent out of shape about it is what it is? How many black Norwegians have you ever heard of? Of course he is white. Firing people for saying Santa is white? Our PC culture is insane!

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Is Santa white? new [Re: GatKong]
#318880 - 12/18/13 05:52 AM

He is a spiritual entity that flys in a craft. Sounds more alien to me.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#318881 - 12/18/13 05:53 AM

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

He's an elf new [Re: GatKong]
#318882 - 12/18/13 06:00 AM

A "right jolly old elf" as the story goes. As the story continues, he had a "miniature sleigh" and "tiny reindeer"

You're all worshiping a LIE

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: He's an elf new [Re: Hizzout]
#318907 - 12/18/13 06:49 PM

> You're all worshiping a LIE

This thread should probably be moved to the War Room.

edit: Oh, you're talking about Santa. Never mind.

Edited by Gor (12/18/13 06:49 PM)

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

RW-Column
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/10/13
Send PM

Re: Is Santa white? new [Re: DMala]
#318955 - 12/19/13 10:12 AM

OK what color is a Turk? Not modern day Turk, but a one from the middle ages, with a bit of African blood from when the moors sacked most of the Mediterranean.

He looks a happy chappy though.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: Is Santa white? new [Re: RW-Column]
#318965 - 12/19/13 03:46 PM

That's Sinterklaas!
The Saint we based our children's holidays on on December 5th. He's "Our" Santa.

And we get into a boatload of problems each year, because he has helpers of ethinicity. ANd that's all I'm gonna say about it, I'm just glad it's over (for us) again so we can put it in the fridge till next year and let the kids enjoy their presents.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Is Santa white? new [Re: RW-Column]
#318980 - 12/19/13 05:56 PM

> OK what color is a Turk? Not modern day Turk, but a one from the middle ages, with a
> bit of African blood from when the moors sacked most of the Mediterranean.
>
> He looks a happy chappy though.

Ok, THAT guy… if you want to consider the archaeogenetic haplogroup of the Turks, they're still scientifically classified as caucasian.

So where'd he come from…

First millennium Christians, wanting to facilitate conversion of the Norse, needed a Christian parallel for Papa Noel so that the Norse could continue their most popular traditions, and so the gift giving figure of Papa Noel was encouraged to be though of as the third century's Saint Nicholas, who's day of celebration (then being December 19th, but now celebrated on the 5th or 6th) was very near to the winter solstice. Papa Noel's visage continued on thereafter, however, evolving into Saint Nicholas, still bearing gifts while riding a flying horse named Sleipnir from the North. The two patrons of the Yule season, however, as centuries passed, became more and more blended until the traditions of the two became one entity with many names, to include Papa Noel, Saint Nicolas, Sinterklaas, Santa Claus, and Father Christmas. During the early 16th century, Martin Luther (founder of the Protestant religion) encouraged Christians to think of the gift-bringer as the Christ child himself, or Christkindl (kʁɪstkɪnt). The pronunciation of this word for many English speaking people sounded like "Kris Kringle", and so yet another nickname for the Northern white-bearded gift-bringer of the Noel season came to be.

So what happened to the eight legged horse named Sleipnir and how did we get eight flying rain deer from that?

In 1823, Clement Clarke Moore published his famous poem "A Visit From Saint Nicholas" (more commonly known as "The Night Before Christmas"), wherein he replaced the eight-legged flying horse Slipindear introducing for the very first time the concept of eight individual flying reindeer. The ninth reindeer, Rudolf, wasn't introduced for another century when in 1939 Robert L. May published his story about the red-nosed reindeer to be distributed as a part of an advertising campaign for Montgomery Ward department stores.

Hizzout
Send PM

#318986 - 12/19/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

First millennium Christians, wanting to facilitate conversion of the Norse, needed a Christian parallel...

Without getting into "War Room" material, this was a pretty common practice. Many christian holidays have pagan and/or other religious "parallels" (as you put it) included in their celebrations.

It makes me smirk whenever I see a christmas tree inside of a church.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Is Santa white? new [Re: Hizzout]
#318989 - 12/19/13 07:30 PM

> It makes me smirk whenever I see a christmas tree inside of a church.

You keep setting them up

The "Christmas Tree" derives from the great tree Oak of Thor at Geismar, around which the Norse would celebrate during Yule. The Roman Catholic Church, wanting to convert the Norse, in 723 A.D. sent an army of soldiers led by Bishop Winfrid Boniface to chop down the Oak of Thor in a stage-managed confrontation between the Norse Gods versus Christianity. In its place, Bonifice planted a fir tree decorated with Christian symbols; the first Christmas tree.

In that context, the fir tree is really a symbol of religious oppression more than anything positive… but who cares about that… people have all but forgotten its origin. They're beautiful and a fun part of the holiday.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I don't believe in Santa at all. new [Re: GatKong]
#318991 - 12/19/13 08:01 PM

When the last time a hunter shoot down a flying deer or more?

A fat man can't slide down in a small pipe. No fat man can.

When the last time you seen a little person have real pointed ears?

When the last time someone found a deer with a nose that light up?

I believe in Jesus more than this crap.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: I don't believe in Santa at all. new [Re: Dullaron]
#318999 - 12/19/13 09:08 PM

Must......not......COMMENT.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: I don't believe in Santa at all. new [Re: Hizzout]
#319002 - 12/19/13 10:32 PM Attachment: picard-facepalm.jpg 32 KB (0 downloads)

> Must......not......COMMENT.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: What color is Krampus? new [Re: GatKong]
#319013 - 12/20/13 03:39 AM

RW-Column
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/10/13
Send PM

Re: Is Santa white? new [Re: Hizzout]
#319021 - 12/20/13 06:00 AM

> First millennium Christians, wanting to facilitate conversion of the Norse, needed a
> Christian parallel...
>
> Without getting into "War Room" material, this was a pretty common practice. Many
> christian holidays have pagan and/or other religious "parallels" (as you put it)
> included in their celebrations.
>
> It makes me smirk whenever I see a Christmas tree inside of a church.

Like Christmas is not the date of the birth of Christ but the day Emperor Palpatine Constantine ended the persecution of the Christians, and it was near a pagan holiday of Saturnalia, so they just made an extra day for chariot races, and gladiator fights. A bit like the boxing day sales.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 349 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1331