MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

What's your favorite clone arcade game?
#318800 - 12/16/13 07:25 AM

What's your favorite clone arcade game? Most of us play the Parent game majority of the time. But with some Parent games, it's clone might be more preferred. What are some of these clones you'd suggest? Include small reason why if you'd like?

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#318803 - 12/16/13 09:45 AM

> What's your favorite clone arcade game? Most of us play the Parent game majority of
> the time. But with some Parent games, it's clone might be more preferred. What are
> some of these clones you'd suggest? Include small reason why if you'd like?

Plenty of games where the original language is a clone have content cut rather than being translated. For example all versions of Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon except Japan have cut scenes between stages removed, so you have to play the "clone" Japan set to get the full game.

I always play Street Fighter Zero clone sets, because that's what I saw in arcades. Same for a lot of other Capcom fighters - the Japan sets are the ones I remember.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: Matty_]
#318808 - 12/16/13 02:14 PM

Japan sets often give less "cheap" AI. Capcom fighters like you mentioned and the Japan Mario Bros. are good examples.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#318810 - 12/16/13 03:12 PM

I have always been a fan of the bootleg Pac-Man games. New Puck-X, NewPuck2, HanglyMan etc.... Still waiting patiently for MazeMan and Crazzy Otto.

edcosta
15khz user
Reged: 05/25/07
Send PM

#318811 - 12/16/13 03:13 PM

I would like to play again Master Ninja (bootleg of Shadow Warriors / Ninja Gaiden) for cause that was what I saw in the arcades...

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: edcosta]
#318812 - 12/16/13 04:48 PM

One i like is Nighslashers the (japan clone/Overseas Rev) versions which have full blood and gore where as
the parent version in Mame is the cencored korean version

Arcade Addict

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#318814 - 12/16/13 05:34 PM

> What's your favorite clone arcade game? Most of us play the Parent game majority of
> the time. But with some Parent games, it's clone might be more preferred. What are
> some of these clones you'd suggest? Include small reason why if you'd like?

bnj - Bump 'n' Jump is the version I always played.
dkongj - I like the order of the levels better
dkongx - Donkey Kong II
tmnt2p - For all of the 4-player Konami games, the coin slot determines your player. In the 2-player version, either player can choose any character.
pacman - Well, yeah.
mspacmnf - Fast speed
gaunt22p - Same as tmnt above
piratepet - different version of Jungle King

Plenty more after that, too. That's just a few of them.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#318845 - 12/17/13 06:56 AM

> dkongj - I like the order of the levels better

Ehh, I occasionally play DK and Junior j versions, and they just don't have the same novelty.

> pacman - Well, yeah.

That's not much of a clone. The reason to care is if you want to see english on the attract screen.

> mspacmnf - Fast speed

Sacrilege! And it's a hack, as a few in your list are.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#318892 - 12/18/13 07:37 AM

Quote:

Japan sets often give less "cheap" AI. Capcom fighters like you mentioned and the Japan Mario Bros. are good examples.

That's interesting... that you are more likely to see more free lives given and easier AI in Japan versions than USA versions. Why is this? Could it be that the USA versions cared more about making money and profit rather than having a more fair gameplay and balance like Japanese versions had? It's all about the Benjamins? I doubt it was because they thought USA gamers were better gamers than the Japanese.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: gamez fan]
#318893 - 12/18/13 07:43 AM

> One i like is Nighslashers the (japan clone/Overseas Rev) versions which have full
> blood and gore where as
> the parent version in Mame is the cencored korean version

Good to know this. But you might as well play the USA version instead of the Japanese version... they both have red blood instead of the green gook.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#318894 - 12/18/13 07:45 AM

USA arcade operators constantly pushing for games that will bring more profits combined with the language barrier probably made the Japan developers reach for the simplest solution, I guess. Easiest way to bring more quarters was to suck them. There have been cases where some Japan versions of games were harder but none come to mind. Japanese people have historically been good at mastering games. IIRC the first to find ways to live forever on 1 quarter in Gauntlet for example were Japanese folks. If there is some glitch to exploit they find it.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#318895 - 12/18/13 08:03 AM

Quote:

IIRC the first to find ways to live forever on 1 quarter in Gauntlet for example were Japanese folks.

What is/How do you do that cheat/glitch?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#318896 - 12/18/13 08:07 AM

It's some path you can take over and over that replenishes health quicker than it ticks out if I recall correctly and Atari found out about it and sent out a revision rom to "fix" it. I saw a bit about it in a history video once but I don't have it bookmarked. If anyone knows it, post it here.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#318903 - 12/18/13 04:47 PM

> Good to know this. But you might as well play the USA version instead of the Japanese
> version... they both have red blood instead of the green gook.

Thanks for that i wondered if the U.S version was uncencored you just answered

Arcade Addict

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#318909 - 12/18/13 06:56 PM

DJ Boy (Japan); Fat black woman (boss) farts at You !

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#318914 - 12/18/13 07:48 PM

It seems to me that while Japanese are historically great players, they seem to have greater regard for games, and are more interested in playing them than beating them. Hence, there's less of a quarter pinch.

Quote:

It's some path you can take over and over that replenishes health quicker than it ticks out if I recall correctly and Atari found out about it and sent out a revision rom to "fix" it. I saw a bit about it in a history video once but I don't have it bookmarked. If anyone knows it, post it here.

I looked in a rather extensive gamefaq entry (http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583775-gauntlet/faqs/13973), and maybe it is this:

Ok, so scoring health is bad, so that means that death will come, always, since you can't stop your score from increasing, right?

Well, most people thought so, however there were some players who, apparently when they were very bored, wanted to find out what would happen if your score became VERY VERY high. They might have actually had other players join in, just to see if the game would always have no food. Whoever did this, is a genius. Anyway, at 16,384 * 128 (love that binary !), which is 2.1 million, apparently something really strange happens. It seems as if a comparison "overflows"...whatever is calculating how much food is removed, probably overflows at bit 7 *128* times your score, and resets here (Atari never figured someone would get this far on 1 credit !), and suddenly the games will give you the **MAXIMUM** possible food per level. The monsters STILL generate very very fast, though. And at 16,384 * 256 (4.2 million), as we all know, 255 is the highest value that can be expressed in 8 bits, so at 256, apparently the memory location resets to 0. What this means is, the ENTIRE GAME Difficulty just totally resets here....its as if you had just started over (meaning, monsters suddenly generate VERY VERY slowly, although thief still appears every level). But this means that you will be hit by starvation again as your score continues to increase, just like before. So once again, food is taken out heavily, by about 4.4 million points. Now, doing some simple logic tells you that you will ONCE AGAIN start receiving all the food at 4.2 million + 2.1 million, = 6.3 million. A cycle, right?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

#318981 - 12/19/13 06:06 PM

Games where the Parent is Japanese and Clone English - "Sen Kyu - Battle Balls. Games where the Parent is disc and Clone ROM - all CPS3 games except "Red Earth" - too bad there is no all ROM version of it.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#318983 - 12/19/13 06:16 PM

> USA arcade operators constantly pushing for games that will bring more profits
> combined with the language barrier probably made the Japan developers reach for the
> simplest solution, I guess. Easiest way to bring more quarters was to suck them.
> There have been cases where some Japan versions of games were harder but none come to
> mind.

Here's one for your mind, then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erGzgSegA2U

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

#319046 - 12/20/13 12:56 PM

> What's your favorite clone arcade game? Most of us play the Parent game majority of the time. But with some Parent games, it's clone might be more preferred. What are some of these clones you'd suggest? Include small reason why if you'd like?

1. 'arkatour'

Arkanoid with specific levels.

2. 'maglordh'

More detailed story.

3. 'mcatadvj'

Different levels and story.

4. 'maniacsp'

The prototype is much more fun than the released version.

On the other hand, there are clones I really don't like (besides the language), such as 'qadj' which is completely different than the US set ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What's your favorite clone arcade game? new [Re: stephh]
#319087 - 12/21/13 06:56 AM

thanks ... steph's post and others were exactly the type of responses I was looking for. I wish the differences between games' versions were more clearly documented in the History.dat. A lot of the time, it doesn't even mention any differences.

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

#319097 - 12/21/13 01:27 PM

> I wish the differences between games' versions were more clearly documented in the History.dat. A lot of the time, it doesn't even mention any differences.

The fact is that "clones" share the same entry as the "parent" set ...

I would also be very happy if differences between clones were more documented (something like I started to do in arkanoid.c driver or in galaxold.c driver for "Moon Cresta" clones), but I admit this is a very long task because you need to analyse the games code as some effet aren't visual ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2359