MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

universally stupid...
#318742 - 12/15/13 11:34 AM

Just fried my TV mainboard, and possibly my cable box.
A USB HDD I had been using on my Wii U started to not work with an error about power, so I got the bright idea to plug the power part of a y cable into an iPhone chager plug. didn't get it fully inserted before the sparks flew...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: universally stupid... new [Re: URherenow]
#318745 - 12/15/13 01:46 PM

> Just fried my TV mainboard, and possibly my cable box.
> A USB HDD I had been using on my Wii U started to not work with an error about power,
> so I got the bright idea to plug the power part of a y cable into an iPhone chager
> plug. didn't get it fully inserted before the sparks flew...

I'm curious as to why that would happen. Were the Wii U and iPhone charger plugged into outlets that were on separate phases? How was the TV involved? Were naked women and alcohol involved?

URherenow
Send PM

Re: universally stupid... new [Re: italie]
#318748 - 12/15/13 03:19 PM

everything plugged in to the same surge protector (which I guess didn't protect the surge?) Or... somehow the sparks/shock traveled through the HDMI cable? I honestly don't know. Sparks... flicker, and the TV is gone with the power led flashing the 'my main board is fried' sequence... and my cable box doesn't want to output via HDMI and keeps freezing now.

The Wii U (and oddly enough... the external hdd as well) and everything else plugged in there seem to be just fine. Only the TV and cable box are messed up.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#318750 - 12/15/13 04:04 PM

> everything plugged in to the same surge protector (which I guess didn't protect the
> surge?) Or... somehow the sparks/shock traveled through the HDMI cable? I honestly
> don't know. Sparks... flicker, and the TV is gone with the power led flashing the 'my
> main board is fried' sequence... and my cable box doesn't want to output via HDMI and
> keeps freezing now.
>
> The Wii U (and oddly enough... the external hdd as well) and everything else plugged
> in there seem to be just fine. Only the TV and cable box are messed up.

Weird. If you ever figure it out, please post. Failure analysis is kinda one of my things...

URherenow
Send PM

Re: universally stupid... new [Re: italie]
#318754 - 12/15/13 05:17 PM

and another thing... the cable box is working with RCA cables through my VCR/DVD recorder combo... but will not output via HDMI. The HDMI ports on the TV are directly attached to the mainboard so the shock/surge that hit the mainboard, managed to travel down the cable box's HDMI cable and wipe it out?

but... the Wii U was on as well... via HDMI. I'm so confused

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#318760 - 12/15/13 06:42 PM

> and another thing... the cable box is working with RCA cables through my VCR/DVD
> recorder combo... but will not output via HDMI. The HDMI ports on the TV are directly
> attached to the mainboard so the shock/surge that hit the mainboard, managed to
> travel down the cable box's HDMI cable and wipe it out?
>
> but... the Wii U was on as well... via HDMI. I'm so confused

Swapped hot/neutral in your house wiring that changed the ground potential of the low side on the iPhone charger as compared to another device? Best guess I can think of without knowing the specifics on the charger circuit or the Y cable. Even then it would require sub-standard design in some component.

The devices blown would be dependent on how well protected they were from whatever they were exposed to. Not too surprising that some would survive while others did not.

Certainly weird.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1006