MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space?
#317682 - 11/22/13 04:24 AM Attachment: 0000.png 9 KB (3 downloads)

Artemio Urbina dumped a version of Ketsui that boots with the rev 3 boot date / dots but is different.

Against r1:

[1/4] IDENTICAL
[2/4] 42.56%
[3/4] 5.74%

Against r2:

[1/4] IDENTICAL
[2/4] 56.60%
[3/4] 43.64%
[4/4] 0.414%

Against r3:

[1/2] IDENTICAL
[2/2] 48.54%

Also any dumped an alt System 573 bios and a bootleg of Death Race and Joe Magiera dumped Who Dunit version 9.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#317696 - 11/22/13 03:13 PM

Is the alternate 573 BIOS the one that doesn't check for the H8 MCU?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space? new [Re: Naoki]
#317698 - 11/22/13 03:45 PM

I don't have any info on these past the DU emails.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#317700 - 11/22/13 05:22 PM

> Is the alternate 573 BIOS the one that doesn't check for the H8 MCU?

Turns out it checks for a different H8 program.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#317711 - 11/22/13 06:55 PM

>Also any dumped.... a bootleg of Death Race.

Yes. I am guessing this is probably first documented backup images of any Death Race pcb [bootleg or original] for a long time. There are other rom images floating around that may have been dumped years earlier, but who knows if the data from those is reliable or can be verified.

Is the Death Race bootleg pcb in working shape or does it no longer work?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#317713 - 11/22/13 07:13 PM

> > Is the alternate 573 BIOS the one that doesn't check for the H8 MCU?
>
> Turns out it checks for a different H8 program.

So this new BIOS won't work with the current driver?
Also what does the H8 MCU even control, the inputs from JAMMA?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space? new [Re: gregf]
#317714 - 11/22/13 08:31 PM

I don't have any info other than the DU messages. I know this Death Race used socketed chips where official boards had them soldered and that's why it hadn't been dumped.

conquerist
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/30/12
Send PM

#317756 - 11/23/13 11:20 PM

From the svn log:

Code:

r26360 Friday 22nd November, 2013 at 15:06:39 UTC by David Haywood
document that ketsui roms exist with different fill in the unused areas [Artemio Urbina]

I haven't added it as a new set, at least not for now.

trunk/src/mame/drivers/pgm.c:
// an alt version of this rom exists with 0xff fill in the unused area after 0x1443bc rather than random data like the one above, there are no code changes.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space? new [Re: conquerist]
#317757 - 11/23/13 11:26 PM

Typical Cave update correcting a missed Monday detail though it's clear this newer dump is a newer version than the one in mame and I'm not sure why there would be an unsaid rule where the only way something gets added is if the code changes are actually used by the game.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#317761 - 11/24/13 12:35 AM

> > > Is the alternate 573 BIOS the one that doesn't check for the H8 MCU?
> >
> > Turns out it checks for a different H8 program.
>
> So this new BIOS won't work with the current driver?
> Also what does the H8 MCU even control, the inputs from JAMMA?

The H8 seems to be used as a bridge to JVS. It's no surprise they didn't bother with the H8 on some of these boards, JVS was only ever used for the (pretty rare) memory card slots.

I'm not convinced there is more than one H8 program, even though currently the 700b01 bios needs a different pre-canned response to be happy. It's more likely there is something missing with the emulation.

The naming of the bios chip is annoying, there are two different 700a01's. I've not bothered looking too closely at what the difference of those is.

I've not heard back from guru which bios is used on the board with no h8, supposedly he has one that works fine. It wouldn't surprise me if it's one of the existing ones. Either the h8 can be detected and we don't know how that works yet, or with the 700a01 bios you can fake the response so that it's happy with two pull up and two pull down resistors.

Edited by smf (11/24/13 12:41 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#317777 - 11/24/13 12:36 PM

> Typical Cave update correcting a missed Monday detail though it's clear this newer
> dump is a newer version than the one in mame and I'm not sure why there would be an
> unsaid rule where the only way something gets added is if the code changes are
> actually used by the game.

How do you know it's newer? If haze is right then it's just an area of the flash rom that wasn't programmed and contains what was on their before. It sounds like they recycled the flash roms. On games where the hard drive contents change on every boot due to temporary files etc we don't preserve every single hard drive image possible.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: EVAC ran out of dot space? new [Re: ]
#317779 - 11/24/13 01:15 PM

No it's Ketsui so it's eprom and the patterns would have been blanked by hand.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#318029 - 11/29/13 03:16 PM

> No it's Ketsui so it's eprom and the patterns would have been blanked by hand.

Even with eprom, if they didn't clear the eprom programmers buffer before programming a chip and just loaded a smaller file then you get this kind of stuff.

We've seen games that include source code etc because of this.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#318030 - 11/29/13 03:23 PM

This isn't even limited to arcade games; I'm aware of one SNES game that has two versions that appear to be substantially different on first glance, but in fact the actual code changes are tiny but the fill pattern in unused parts of the ROM is very different (one version has alternating blocks of 00 and FF bytes, the other version is filled with random data)

Nomax
Ryo Hazuki
Reged: 11/19/03
Loc: Belgium
Send PM

#318031 - 11/29/13 06:15 PM

> > No it's Ketsui so it's eprom and the patterns would have been blanked by hand.
>
> Even with eprom, if they didn't clear the eprom programmers buffer before programming
> a chip and just loaded a smaller file then you get this kind of stuff.
>
> We've seen games that include source code etc because of this.

So it would be easy to test if this content is part of the game or not. Replace differing content with 00s and launch the game to see if it complains.

--------------------
NPlayers.ini - The multiplayer description file for MAME. (Linux user #448789)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

update to old DU Update: about Death Race new [Re: Smitdogg]
#334559 - 11/21/14 04:06 PM

>Also any dumped....a bootleg of Death Race

The Death Race pcb that was dumped in late 2013 could be from Sonic (from Spain) that was called "The Monsters"......assuming that the info of where Al Kossow got this is correct information. This was when Al was hosting Wiretap (now gone) from (spies dot com) web site back during late 1990s years through first couple years of post 2000 AD before it closed and was mirrored elsewhere.

--
http://web.archive.org/web/20120310083135/http://cityofberwyn.com/bronzeage/index.htm

HRB The Monsters Sonic (Spain) 1976 - Death Race copy
--

Even though some info is now outdated, I still liked visiting Wiretap site.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: update to old DU Update: about Death Race new [Re: gregf]
#334575 - 11/22/14 01:08 AM

> > Also any dumped....a bootleg of Death Race
>
> The Death Race pcb that was dumped in late 2013 could be from Sonic (from Spain)
> that was called "The Monsters"......assuming that the info of where Al Kossow got
> this is correct information.

Maybe. No real way to be sure, the PCB photos the dumper provided have absolutely no printing or stickers on them.

> Even though some info is now outdated, I still liked visiting Wiretap site.

Yet another thing on my monstrous To-Do list.

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: update to old DU Update: about Death Race new [Re: Stiletto]
#334678 - 11/27/14 03:34 AM

> > > Also any dumped....a bootleg of Death Race
> >
> > The Death Race pcb that was dumped in late 2013 could be from Sonic (from Spain)
> > that was called "The Monsters"......assuming that the info of where Al Kossow got
> > this is correct information.
>
> Maybe. No real way to be sure, the PCB photos the dumper provided have absolutely no
> printing or stickers on them.

Just verified with one of the dumpers and he says the dump came PCBs inside the following cabinet: http://www.tilt.it/deb/a_mobili-en.html
Manufacturer is currently unknown. PCBs of course might not match the cabinet, but it seems possible.

Here's some video of it in action:

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: update to old DU Update: about Death Race new [Re: Stiletto]
#334718 - 11/28/14 10:46 PM

> > > Also any dumped....a bootleg of Death Race

>Just verified with one of the dumpers and he says the dump came PCBs inside the
> following cabinet: http://www.tilt.it/deb/a_mobili-en.html

>Manufacturer is currently unknown. PCBs of course might not match the cabinet, but it
>seems possible.

Robot Hunting....interesting. I guess what 'any' dumped should be the pcbs that rolled off assembly line when Robot Hunting cabs were marketed then for European market.

Notice how the Robot Hunting has a different sound effect when a robot/target is hit by either player 1 or player 2 cars?

Robot Hunting
Death race Italian bootleg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahItWtC1BOg

And then listen to sounds from an actual Exidy Death Race cab when a 'ghoul/zombie' is hit by either player 1 or player 2 cars.

actual Exidy Death Race cab - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVvUIZBLP8

Two different pseudo-scream sound effects.

I will guess that the audio scream sound effects are different between Robot Hunting versus Exidy Death Race because the discrete components and circuitry are different between the two games....Or maybe Robot Hunting has same scream sound effect just like actual Exidy Death Race pcb and the video that any took shows the Robot Hunting pcb not generating the "scream" sound efect because the parts for the discrete audio effects on the Robot Hunting pcb need to be replaced/repaired.

At least Exidy Death Race logic schematics are around, but it would be interesting if any or someone else can compare the discrete component layout between Death Race pcb versus Robot Hunting pcb.

That would be ideal if Robot Hunting logic schematics were available, but I bet those are just as hard to find these days just like logic schematics for many of the Meadows games.

btw: A video clip shows a simulated Death Race game. I forget if the simulation was from Dave Widel's Death Race project years earlier. It is good quality and my guess is this was from dwidel years earlier when he had his web page online then. He is a fan of Death Race.

Old Classic Retro Gaming: Arcade Game: Death Race (1976 Exidy) [Re-Uploaded]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBtt72aJLA

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6948