View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

RAYS IO PCB Rom dumped?
#317447 - 11/16/13 02:48 AM

Was looking through the info in the source code and some of the rom dumps and suggests that whilst the MUI PCB rom (which is used on standard cabinets) was dumped it doesn't seem like the Rays IO ROM is archived? As far as I know, Crisis Zone DLX, Time Crisis 3 and Vampire Night all use (or at least can use as an option in TC3's case as it can use the V185 pcb and same guns as TC2) this board for the DLX versions, although possibly with a ROM change on Vampire Night for the two player support but it's mostly the same board but I'll boot my Naomi up with it to see if the two player support is on this version.

The ROM is labelled JVS RAYSOA on my Crisis Zone one and has an SH4 CPU, XILINX FPGA, some custom or otherwise obscure SEC KS0127B chip, an ALTERA MAX FPGA labelled JVSR AY1A, some power regulators and discrete logic so seems very different to the MIU PCB. So is this ROM archived or needed? I wouldn't mind sending this to be dumped and would happily pay shipping both ways if I can get a couple of similar TSOP48 pin ROMs read and reprogrammed with this.

Edited by Naoki (11/16/13 02:49 AM)

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: RAYS IO PCB Rom dumped? new [Re: Naoki]
#317451 - 11/16/13 03:33 AM

If it looks undumped to you after looking in the driver then it probably is. What's the chip type?

Naoki
Send PM

Re: RAYS IO PCB Rom dumped? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#317458 - 11/16/13 01:41 PM

> If it looks undumped to you after looking in the driver then it probably is. What's
> the chip type?

I don't have the model on hand but it was a 48-pin TSOP chip and I think a 16Mb/8 size, not sure if this helps?

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317459 - 11/16/13 04:00 PM

You need to find the part number for people to look up in their software before shipping it out. Probably someone around you can do it but otherwise you can send it to me.

I'm not completely sure it'll even be usable in emulation though so post a pic of the whole pcb.

Naoki
Send PM

#317464 - 11/16/13 05:59 PM Attachment: DSC_0001.JPG 4580 KB (0 downloads)

> You need to find the part number for people to look up in their software before
> shipping it out. Probably someone around you can do it but otherwise you can send it
> to me.
>
> I'm not completely sure it'll even be usable in emulation though so post a pic of the
> whole pcb.

The chip number: SHARP LH28F160S5T-L70
Bad photo (can get another tomorrow)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317465 - 11/16/13 06:06 PM

That's a tsop56. I have the adapter for it if you can't get anyone near you to do it. Ask on the DU if you want to try and save on shipping or you can just send it to me. But find out if it's needed for emulation first because sometimes IO boards aren't.

Naoki
Send PM

#317468 - 11/16/13 07:46 PM

> That's a tsop56. I have the adapter for it if you can't get anyone near you to do it.
> Ask on the DU if you want to try and save on shipping or you can just send it to me.
> But find out if it's needed for emulation first because sometimes IO boards aren't.

I believe this runs on the SH4 which processes the video data from the CCD. Technically it's not needed because you have the MUI board in MAME but for preservation.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317469 - 11/16/13 07:53 PM

You can see if anyone on the DU on your side of the pond wants to do it. If mame can't use it I don't want to mess with sinking hours of work into it. The odds of someone in the future being able to use the dump, the problem with their board going bad being the rom chip and them also having the tools and skills to replace a tsop56 are around lottery odds.

Naoki
Send PM

#317475 - 11/16/13 11:26 PM

> You can see if anyone on the DU on your side of the pond wants to do it. If mame
> can't use it I don't want to mess with sinking hours of work into it. The odds of
> someone in the future being able to use the dump, the problem with their board going
> bad being the rom chip and them also having the tools and skills to replace a tsop56
> are around lottery odds.

I can understand, no worries I will look.

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

#317498 - 11/17/13 07:17 PM

> As far as I know, Crisis Zone DLX, Time Crisis 3 and Vampire Night all use (or at least can use as an option in TC3's
> case as it can use the V185 pcb and same guns as TC2) this board for the DLX

Oops, Vampire Night uses a slightly different IO PCB for the DLX version for a bit extra input but the functionality is the same AFAIK. Had another look at the PCB and although the board has an SH4 CPU the ROM (under the JVS RAYSOA sticker) isn't near it and connects to the large black connector to the left and to the Altera so I'm not sure if this is the CPU program but then I can't imagine the CPU runs without code unless the FPGAs/MCUs upload and control what data gets sent or act as storage controllers.

----

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#317499 - 11/17/13 07:19 PM

Looks like possibly 2 ROMs on there: one at 4A, one at 8D. Unless the chip at 4A is RAM (I can't read the numbers at all).

What exactly does this thing do? It's way, way overpowered for JVS I/O, unless Namco did it on a dare to try and derail MAME ;-)

Naoki
Send PM

Re: RAYS IO PCB Rom dumped? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#317500 - 11/17/13 07:30 PM

> Looks like possibly 2 ROMs on there: one at 4A, one at 8D. Unless the chip at 4A is
> RAM (I can't read the numbers at all).

The one at 4A is SAMSUNG SDRAM 2m x 32 for the SH4. The one at 8D is the ROM I'm questioning about.

> What exactly does this thing do? It's way, way overpowered for JVS I/O, unless Namco
> did it on a dare to try and derail MAME ;-)

It's complex and probably for reason. It's for processing composite NTSC video from the camera module which points at the 50 inch screen. All it's looking for is an InfraRed light from where the gun is pointing an converts that value to an analogue X Y value and then sends that to the JVS section for the game to use. I assume it runs two halfs, the video converter/processor and then the regular JVS board, the XILINX converting video, the SH4 processing the data, sending it to the JVS side which is run on the Alter Max PLD which is what takes the digital and "analogue" inputs for the game.

There's more details but this is the general process.

The MIU board does the same thing but as it's a smaller screen I guess they can get away with an FPGA for such work.

Crazy Namco guys and as it was IR based I assumed it was made to work with newer screens like LCDs but nope, still doesn't as the camera gets confused with the screen's output. Probably why it was only used on 3 games, not effective and expensive and then they moved to the Sega IR type setup.

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

#317810 - 11/25/13 02:01 PM

Well been looking about for a little while but I can't find many people to do it. I also need to get a few ROM chips reprogramed aswell, TSOP48 29c016A/29c400a ones and 27c2001 as you probably saw on the DU list. Could I pay your to reprogram these chips? I could send the I/O board along with them aswell if wanted.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317811 - 11/25/13 02:16 PM

I'll read and program chips for you for free. It's the freezing my butt off in my garage doing surface mount work that won't help mame bit that I don't like. So if you can do that part there and just send me chips that would be best.

Naoki
Send PM

#317816 - 11/25/13 04:41 PM

> I'll read and program chips for you for free. It's the freezing my butt off in my
> garage doing surface mount work that won't help mame bit that I don't like. So if you
> can do that part there and just send me chips that would be best.

As I previously stated, although I can remove the roms, I'd rather not touch the I/O pcb with the machine just in case I break it, I'd rather send it to you and I really wouldn't mind paying for your time on this stuff

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317818 - 11/25/13 04:50 PM

I'll do it but I don't accept money for mame work (let's face it we'll put the dump in mame even if it isn't "hooked up") and I'm not going to guarantee surface mount stuff still works. I'm good but not perfect. I would suggest just keeping the board working instead of worrying about having a rom backup but it's your call. I would say 98% of my surface mount work doesn't break things. If you like the 1 in 50 odds then go for it.

Naoki
Send PM

#317819 - 11/25/13 05:13 PM

> I'll do it but I don't accept money for mame work (let's face it we'll put the dump
> in mame even if it isn't "hooked up") and I'm not going to guarantee surface mount
> stuff still works. I'm good but not perfect. I would suggest just keeping the board
> working instead of worrying about having a rom backup but it's your call. I would say
> 98% of my surface mount work doesn't break things. If you like the 1 in 50 odds then
> go for it.

Right I see. Well, I'll have a think over the I/O board but if I sent you the board of the TSOPs I need programming and the two 27c2001s you could program them?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317820 - 11/25/13 05:21 PM

I don't understand board of tsops, I was under the impression we were talking about loose chips other than the IO board with 1 tsop56? If you're talking about a bunch of surface mount work then yeah make an offer because I hate it. If you need me to read/program any loose chips not mounted, I will do that for free.

Naoki
Send PM

#317831 - 11/25/13 08:03 PM

> I don't understand board of tsops, I was under the impression we were talking about
> loose chips other than the IO board with 1 tsop56? If you're talking about a bunch of
> surface mount work then yeah make an offer because I hate it. If you need me to
> read/program any loose chips not mounted, I will do that for free.

Well I have a program board of a System 23 with roms that need reprogamming. There's 3 48-TSOPs on it

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#317832 - 11/25/13 08:11 PM

My advice is leave it alone. You'd be paying $100 + shipping to and from for a mostly pointless region swap and you might be able to just find a replacement for cheaper. I wouldn't give up a Saturday afternoon full of fume sucking for less. You might find someone else to do it cheaper (I hope).

Naoki
Send PM

#317834 - 11/25/13 08:34 PM

> My advice is leave it alone. You'd be paying $100 + shipping to and from for a mostly
> pointless region swap and you might be able to just find a replacement for cheaper. I
> wouldn't give up a Saturday afternoon full of fume sucking for less. You might find
> someone else to do it cheaper (I hope).

It wasn't a region swap but rather a version upgrade to fix certain glitches but I understand, no worries.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2811