Pages: 1

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

G-Sync
#316104 - 10/18/13 05:18 PM

This is a newly announced Nvidia thing which allows compatible LCD monitors to update at a variable refresh rate. This is potentially ultra-mega-huge for emulation and MAME if it works like they're claiming, since it'll mean you can run 60.1 Hz games at a real tear-free 60.1 Hz rate and 53 Hz Midway games at a real 53 Hz. No triple buffers, no weird sync tricks that break the sound, and this should be good for input lag too.

There's a live blog of the announcement here if you want to read more. The part where it can eliminate tearing in regular PC games is great too

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: G-Sync new [Re: R. Belmont]
#316108 - 10/18/13 06:10 PM

Thanks for sharing that wonderful news, I'll have to do some reading up immediately

2 weeks ago I just bought an ASUS GTX760
I'll have to research when G-Sync is available if it will work with my current card or will I need to buy something else.

I need to also see if I can cash in on the $50 off a Shield purchase.

Reagrdless though, this is wonderful news

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: G-Sync new [Re: B2K24]
#316110 - 10/18/13 07:14 PM

> Thanks for sharing that wonderful news, I'll have to do some reading up immediately
>
> 2 weeks ago I just bought an ASUS GTX760
> I'll have to research when G-Sync is available if it will work with my current card
> or will I need to buy something else.

It looks like we need new monitors, not new video cards.

S

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#316140 - 10/19/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

This is potentially ultra-mega-huge for emulation

Maybe not...from one of the tech staff at BitTech who have an early version of one of these monitor's reserved:

Quote:

2D refresh rates don't go below 60Hz, but it depends whether they class GPU accelerated video as '2D'.

Technically is MAME 2D only?, I know it makes use of GPU's for certain aspects of emulation, but it's not using the GPU to actually render the pixels, does it?, if not, would GSync even detect MAME running and do it's magic?

So there is a doubt as to whether Mame will be able to make use of it.

Edited by Ziggy100 (10/19/13 11:29 AM)

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: G-Sync new [Re: Ziggy100]
#316143 - 10/19/13 12:48 PM

If you are using the Direct3D or OpenGL output of MAME, it should be counted as "3D" since as far as the GPU is concerned, its using the 3D hardware.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

More info new [Re: R. Belmont]
#316156 - 10/19/13 05:04 PM

http://www.neowin.net/news/nvidia-announces-g-sync-to-help-make-pc-monitors-better

Quote:

NVIDIA announces G-SYNC to help make PC monitors better
John Callaham
2 minutes ago 0 Comments

Today, we are beginning to see 4K PC monitors with higher resolution displays that were unthinkable a few years ago. Yet, there are still issues with these monitors high end applications, and particularly with playing games, that can't simply be solved by increasing the screen resolution. Today, NVIDIA announced it has a solution that it claims will help make PC monitors better.

That solution is called G-SYNC, and in an announcement Friday, NVIDIA offered up the first public details of this new technology. It consists of a hardware module made to be placed inside a monitor. This piece of hardware was created to synchronize the monitor to the output of a PC's graphics card, rather than having the GPU sync up to the monitor. NVIDIA says that with the G-SYNC module in place, it eliminates issues such as screen tearing, VSync input lag, and stutter from PC games and applications. How does this module work? NVIDIA states it does away with a monitor's fixed refresh rate, which is usually set at 60Hz. It states.

With G-SYNC, the monitor begins a refresh cycle right after each frame is completely rendered on the GPU. Since the GPU renders with variable time, the refresh of the monitor now has no fixed rate.

The company says that testing G-SYNC with pro gamers has resulted in those players dominating others without the module inside their monitors, thanks to nearly no visible lag in playing PC games. It also has generated praise from well known game developers. It states:

Tim Sweeney, creator of Epic’s industry-dominating Unreal Engine, called G-SYNC “the biggest leap forward in gaming monitors since we went from standard definition to high-def.” He added, “If you care about gaming, G-SYNC is going to make a huge difference in the experience.” The legendary John Carmack, architect of id Software’s engine, was similarly excited, saying “Once you play on a G-SYNC capable monitor, you’ll never go back.”

Naturally, the G-SYNC module will only work with NVIDIA GPUs, specifically the GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost and above. NVIDIA will begin to offer the G-SYNC hardware for sale later this year as an add-on that people can install themselves inside an ASUS VG248QE monitor, or they can buy the same monitor with the module already installed. Pricing was not revealed. In 2014, NVIDIA says that PC monitors with the G-SYNC module will go on sale from a variety of companies.

Edited by vram74 (10/19/13 05:05 PM)

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: More info new [Re: DiodeDude]
#316202 - 10/20/13 07:33 PM

Pretty exciting news. BenQ is on the list so I hope they make their future projectors G-Sync compatible. Anyone know if this tech will work with DLP displays or just LCD?

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Ain't nuthin' but a 'G' thang =nt= new [Re: R. Belmont]
#316222 - 10/21/13 05:26 AM

> This is a newly announced Nvidia thing which allows compatible LCD monitors to update
> at a variable refresh rate. This is potentially ultra-mega-huge for emulation and
> MAME if it works like they're claiming, since it'll mean you can run 60.1 Hz games at
> a real tear-free 60.1 Hz rate and 53 Hz Midway games at a real 53 Hz. No triple
> buffers, no weird sync tricks that break the sound, and this should be good for input
> lag too.
>
> The part where it can eliminate tearing in regular PC games is great too

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: More info new [Re: DiodeDude]
#316228 - 10/21/13 12:05 PM

> Naturally, the G-SYNC module will only work with NVIDIA GPUs

Yawn. Another useless proprietary technology goes down the toilet.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: G-Sync new [Re: Ziggy100]
#316231 - 10/21/13 04:49 PM

> Technically is MAME 2D only?, I know it makes use of GPU's for certain aspects of
> emulation, but it's not using the GPU to actually render the pixels, does it?, if
> not, would GSync even detect MAME running and do it's magic?

MAME in D3D or OpenGL mode *is* a 3D game as far as driver and video cards are concerned. In HLSL mode it appears to be a heavier 3D game than any of the Source engine stuff.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: More info new [Re: Outrun2006]
#316232 - 10/21/13 04:50 PM

> Pretty exciting news. BenQ is on the list so I hope they make their future projectors
> G-Sync compatible. Anyone know if this tech will work with DLP displays or just LCD?

It should be able to work with 3-panel DLP, although it's not clear if that will be supported. The old color-wheel kind, definitely not

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: More info new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#316241 - 10/22/13 03:04 AM

AMD will counter, I'm sure. Would be nice if this was something that could be done, monitor side only, but oh well....

Blur Busters
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/13/13
Send PM

#316353 - 10/25/13 02:56 AM

> Yawn. Another useless proprietary technology goes down the toilet.

You might want to check this out:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=316328
It will reduce 60Hz emulator input lag by a full 10 milliseconds. The scanout to the screen is 1/144sec even at 60Hz. So it's a step towards more instant display of frames. Faster frame-delivery over the cable, faster frame-scanout on the screen.

You may wish to change your tune from "Yawn. Another useless proprietary technology goes down the toilet".

Into: "Man, that sounds good and useful. Wish it wasn't proprietary".

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: More info new [Re: Blur Busters]
#316422 - 10/26/13 08:17 PM

> > Yawn. Another useless proprietary technology goes down the toilet.
>
> You might want to check this out:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=316328
> It will reduce 60Hz emulator input lag by a full 10 milliseconds. The scanout to the
> screen is 1/144sec even at 60Hz. So it's a step towards more instant display of
> frames. Faster frame-delivery over the cable, faster frame-scanout on the screen.
>
> You may wish to change your tune from "Yawn. Another useless proprietary technology
> goes down the toilet".
>
> Into: "Man, that sounds good and useful. Wish it wasn't proprietary".

That's exactly what I was getting at - it's proprietary, which means it will be dead as soon as nVidia decides to can it and move onto the next big thing in 2 years, especially if they don't allow open source drivers to let it move on once their hardware become obsolete. See any official open source nVidia drivers out there? TNT, Geforce 2/4 etc?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#316425 - 10/26/13 09:42 PM

> That's exactly what I was getting at - it's proprietary, which means it will be dead
> as soon as nVidia decides to can it and move onto the next big thing in 2 years,

If it's good then it will survive, if it's not good then it won't.
It won't matter if they can it in 2 years, if you've already got it.

I've got a commodore 15khz monitor, that was canned 2 decades ago.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#318609 - 12/12/13 06:26 PM

More information and a review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: G-Sync new [Re: B2K24]
#318623 - 12/12/13 10:52 PM

> More information and a review
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Typically great work by Anand. Too bad none of these hardware site guys will touch MAME with a ten foot pole

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3096