MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dman777
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/06/13
Send PM

Video Card To TV For Mame - HDMI or Component?
#315403 - 10/06/13 03:00 AM

Hi,

I am doing a project where I am going to link my Linux PC to my Plasma TV so I can play Mame ROMs off it. I am in the middle of buying cables and a video card. I will be using "sdlmame" which is the mame version for Linux. I am trying to decide which cord to order. Will the output of video games, such as Samurai Shodown II be best output through HDMI or Component? This will be viewed on a 60 inch plasma.

Thanks,
-dman777

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Video Card To TV For Mame - HDMI or Component? new [Re: dman777]
#315405 - 10/06/13 03:51 AM

> I am trying to decide which
> cord to order. Will the output of video games, such as Samurai Shodown II be best
> output through HDMI or Component? This will be viewed on a 60 inch plasma.

Component video is an analog signal and is the best you can get on an analog display, save for straight RGB. Your display is digital so you should use HDMI, run the display at its native resolution and let mame + your video card do the scaling as you would on a regular PC flat panel monitor.

S

dman777
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Video Card To TV For Mame - HDMI or Component? new [Re: Sune]
#315406 - 10/06/13 04:17 AM

Thanks.

Would this video card do a good job of up scaling mame? Also, I will be using sdlmame for Linux...do you know if that version does a good job of up scaling?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127684

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#315407 - 10/06/13 04:45 AM

> Thanks.
>
> Would this video card do a good job of up scaling mame? Also, I will be using sdlmame
> for Linux...do you know if that version does a good job of up scaling?
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127684

I don't know why the put out a 630 with 4GB of memory...i don't think those can run anything that would use that much video RAM..but yes it'll do fine for MAME but if you must go budget there are probably cheaper alternatives with significantly more bang for the buck if you go back a generation or two..or spend a little more and at least get a 650 instead of the 630.

They're pushing Steam on Linux in a big way now and who knows, you might want to play some modern games on your MAME setup.

From what I've seen Nvidia is preferred over ATI/AMD on X. But I don't know if that has changed.

S

dman777
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Video Card To TV For Mame - HDMI or Component? new [Re: Sune]
#315420 - 10/07/13 01:40 AM

Money is not a issue for me. Now that you mention it, I do like to play Team Fortress and I see that it is available in Steam.

My system is a x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 705e Processor AuthenticAMD. I like how quit my systems is(low heat) and I do not want to upgrade it. It has a PCI Express 2.0 slot for gpu. How high could I go up the Nvidia line before the rest of my system would be the bottle neck? 660 or 670?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#315424 - 10/07/13 03:06 AM Attachment: ENGTX460.jpg 129 KB (0 downloads)

> Money is not a issue for me. Now that you mention it, I do like to play Team Fortress
> and I see that it is available in Steam.

TF isn't very demanding...but it might be on your 60" display.

> My system is a x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 705e Processor AuthenticAMD. I like how
> quit my systems is(low heat) and I do not want to upgrade it. It has a PCI Express
> 2.0 slot for gpu. How high could I go up the Nvidia line before the rest of my system
> would be the bottle neck? 660 or 670?

Not sure, a GTX 460 would probably be a better match. I don't know anything about AMD CPUs so I looked around a bit and your CPU performance looks to be somewhere in Core 2 Duo E8400/E8500 territory.
But maybe the 660 makes more sense when using a huge monitor like that. What's the native resolution?

I have a 660, the vanilla model from EVGA. It still sells for US$ 200. It runs everything I have at 1920x1080 at max settings...so far.
On Windows it's easy to underclock the card a bit and lower the speed of the fan if you like. Actually the card already does that automatically. I don't know what your options are on Linux.

Compared to the standard boxy reference design that EVGA use, the ASUS DirectCU series have superior cooling (quieter, cools better, easier to remove accumulated dust) but they cost a bit more. Here's a photo of my old ASUS GTX 460 - their 660 looks the same.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#315511 - 10/08/13 08:06 PM

> Thanks.
>
> Would this video card do a good job of up scaling mame? Also, I will be using sdlmame
> for Linux...do you know if that version does a good job of up scaling?

Any Nvidia card will work well with SDLMAME (actually it's just plain MAME now because the Linux support has been built in for the last 2 years). MAME on Linux upscales just as well as the Windows versions except there is no direct equivalent of the HLSL feature that simulates a CRT monitor. A 660 as Sune recommends will be fine for light gaming.

You'll want to use an HDMI cable for any HDTV.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3968