MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Xenphor
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/08/11
Send PM

Shouldn't it be the government's responsibility to fund emulation??
#315336 - 10/04/13 09:11 AM

If they preserve movies then how else will they preserve video games???

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Of course!1! new [Re: Xenphor]
#315337 - 10/04/13 11:31 AM

> If they preserve movies then how else will they preserve video games???

Write to your congressman right now!!!11

S

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Shouldn't it be the government's responsibility to fund emulation?? new [Re: Xenphor]
#315347 - 10/04/13 03:32 PM

> If they preserve movies then how else will they preserve video games???

I don't believe they should. It's being taken care of just fine the way it is now with voluntary donations by those who support it and have interest in it. If Government gets it's nose into things then that could mean tax dollars would need to be used to fund such preservation methods (I assume). I'm sure a share of my tax dollars goes towards things I don't support or think is worthwhile, so why should other people have to pay for emulation (something they may not care any less about)? So the less of government in anything -the better.

Government is made up of politicians. I wouldn't mind if a few politicians got under about 6 feet of dirt.. in coffins. That's something I'd support a few of them getting into.

eta: I think Sune is getting at there being a difference between dumping roms (actual preservation) and just the emulation/emulators where you actually play the games.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/04/13 03:34 PM)

LEVEL-4

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

You mean World Goverment (NWO) new [Re: Xenphor]
#315354 - 10/04/13 07:20 PM

*NT*

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

LOLWUT? new [Re: Xenphor]
#315356 - 10/04/13 07:30 PM

Do you *really* want typical government (in)competence brought to bear on emulation? MAME designed by bureaucrats would cost $8 trillion, take 70 years to make, and would run 3 games.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Shouldn't it be the government's responsibility to fund emulation?? new [Re: Xenphor]
#315358 - 10/04/13 07:39 PM

Well to some extent government may be helping via museums and the occasional shows that exhibit classic gaming. Though not directly emulation, keeping the hardware around for exhibit helps and may inspire interest.

Hopefully places like the pinball museum and High Scores arcade museum in Alameda get some tax break (being a museum)

The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA staff were able to help Steve Golson recover files showing the first versions of Ms. Pac-Man and the court ordered version of Super Missile Attack.

I do wish I could write off my scanning expenses as donation though.

Xenphor
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/08/11
Send PM

Re: LOLWUT? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#315364 - 10/04/13 11:18 PM

> Do you *really* want typical government (in)competence brought to bear on emulation?
> MAME designed by bureaucrats would cost $8 trillion, take 70 years to make, and would
> run 3 games.

well obviously you could just keep doing the same things you're doing except with more money.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Of course!1! new [Re: Sune]
#315367 - 10/05/13 01:57 AM

> Write to your congressman right now!!!11

No need to rush that if living in the US considering the closure right at the moment.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Of course!1! new [Re: B2K24]
#315371 - 10/05/13 05:59 AM

Congress is still getting paid (w/their rights er, benfits). They're still not "working" but they are getting paid. Be nice if they got furloughed and never came back. Or at least leave us all alone.

My question is: How many of the furloughed workers who signed up for unemployment this week realize that they are required to pay it back to their state when re-activated? Think the states are trying to add interest or some kind of new tax to it?! lol... naw!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: LOLWUT? new [Re: Xenphor]
#315385 - 10/05/13 03:58 PM

> > Do you *really* want typical government (in)competence brought to bear on
> emulation?
> > MAME designed by bureaucrats would cost $8 trillion, take 70 years to make, and
> would
> > run 3 games.
>
> well obviously you could just keep doing the same things you're doing except with
> more money.

You keep telling that to the oversight committee

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: LOLWUT? new [Re: italie]
#315459 - 10/07/13 07:14 PM

> You keep telling that to the oversight committee

Indeed. And then a memo comes down suggesting that Ms. Pac-Man is offensive to feminists because she can totally do better than Pac-Man.

But seriously, money has never been the gating factor for MAME, and the loss of control wouldn't be worth whatever minor benefits it would provide.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: LOLWUT? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#315462 - 10/07/13 08:14 PM

> Indeed. And then a memo comes down suggesting that Ms. Pac-Man is offensive to
> feminists because she can totally do better than Pac-Man.

Oh Man. I can see the boatload of memos arriving. Frogger can't be emulated because it pisses off Wildlife Protection Services.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: LOLWUT? new [Re: RATMNL]
#315470 - 10/08/13 01:16 AM

> > Indeed. And then a memo comes down suggesting that Ms. Pac-Man is offensive to
> > feminists because she can totally do better than Pac-Man.
>
> Oh Man. I can see the boatload of memos arriving. Frogger can't be emulated because
> it pisses off Wildlife Protection Services.

Funny. Won't happen at all. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1859