View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

bulbousbeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/13
Send PM

I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL
#315116 - 09/28/13 03:45 AM

Is it just me, or does HLSL look nothing like a real CRT monitor?

I have an arcade cabinet with a Wells Gardner CRT, and HLSL looks nothing like it. Even when I set HLSL prescale to 6, it's as blurry as fuck. My real CRT monitor is very crisp and sharp. It also looks like there's some weird issue with the shadow mask getting distorted during scrolling.

Do I just have it configured wrong or something? If not, I don't see the point of a computationally expensive CRT simulation that looks nothing like a CRT. Amusingly, on my LCD monitor, turning off HLSL and cranking up the normal prescale actually looks more like my CRT than HLSL does.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: bulbousbeard]
#315118 - 09/28/13 04:31 AM

Perhaps you should set it to your liking. To do this go into Mames GUI and select sliders. Press the ~button to help you see as you select each slider. Bringing down some settings clears the blur at best.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: bulbousbeard]
#315119 - 09/28/13 04:49 AM

Your welcome to try out my settings if you want.

Also, feel free to check out NUeda's batch .ini file creator he wrote up. He seems to have some good stuff and nice looking posts over there.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026&start=240

Quote:

hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_ini_read 0
hlsl_ini_write 0
hlslini %g
hlsl_prescale_x 6
hlsl_prescale_y 6
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write
hlsl_snap_width 1024
hlsl_snap_height 768
shadow_mask_alpha 0.1
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
shadow_mask_x_count 320
shadow_mask_y_count 240
shadow_mask_usize 0.09375
shadow_mask_vsize 0.109375
curvature 0.0
pincushion 0.02
scanline_alpha 1.0
scanline_size 1.0
scanline_height 1.0
scanline_bright_scale 1.0
scanline_bright_offset 0.0
scanline_jitter 0.05
defocus 0.0,0.0
converge_x 0.2,0.0,0.0
converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x 0.2,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio 0.85,0.15,0.0
grn_ratio -0.05,1.05,0.0
blu_ratio -0.025,-0.025,1.05
saturation 1.0
offset -0.15,-0.16,-0.16
scale 1.15,1.16,1.16
power 1.1,0.95,0.8
floor 0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0

#
# NTSC POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
yiq_enable 0
yiq_cc 3.59754545
yiq_a 0.5
yiq_b 0.5
yiq_o 0.0
yiq_p 1.0
yiq_n 1.0
yiq_y 6.0
yiq_i 1.2
yiq_q 0.6
yiq_scan_time 52.6
yiq_phase_count 2

#
# VECTOR POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_length_scale 0.8
vector_length_ratio 500.0

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_bloom_scale 0.3
raster_bloom_scale 0.2
bloom_lvl0_weight 1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight 0.21
bloom_lvl2_weight 0.19
bloom_lvl3_weight 0.17
bloom_lvl4_weight 0.15
bloom_lvl5_weight 0.14
bloom_lvl6_weight 0.13
bloom_lvl7_weight 0.12
bloom_lvl8_weight 0.11
bloom_lvl9_weight 0.10
bloom_lvl10_weight 0.09

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#315134 - 09/28/13 09:25 PM

> Is it just me, or does HLSL look nothing like a real CRT monitor?
>
> I have an arcade cabinet with a Wells Gardner CRT, and HLSL looks nothing like it.
> Even when I set HLSL prescale to 6, it's as blurry as fuck. My real CRT monitor is
> very crisp and sharp. It also looks like there's some weird issue with the shadow
> mask getting distorted during scrolling.
>
> Do I just have it configured wrong or something? If not, I don't see the point of a
> computationally expensive CRT simulation that looks nothing like a CRT. Amusingly, on
> my LCD monitor, turning off HLSL and cranking up the normal prescale actually looks
> more like my CRT than HLSL does.

Gotta mess with the settings more.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

bulbousbeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: B2K24]
#315147 - 09/29/13 05:02 PM

I tried those settings, and while it looks way better than the default settings, it still looks absolutely nothing like a real CRT.

I think they need to go back to the drawing board with HLSL.

B2K24
Send PM

#315158 - 09/30/13 12:09 AM

> I tried those settings, and while it looks way better than the default settings, it
> still looks absolutely nothing like a real CRT.
>
> I think they need to go back to the drawing board with HLSL.

Some people like it while some people don't and I like original hardware as much as the next guy.

You can't argue how awesome HLSL actually is, even if you like the look of your CRT much better.

Do you know everything that HLSL is capable of?
Have you even bothered to read the documentation on it?

You keep enjoying your CRT if you want.
I'll be happily enjoying HLSL

http://s13.postimg.org/4rl7drwyf/dkong.jpg

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#315159 - 09/30/13 01:15 AM

Here, here. I totally agree. I love HLSL. If people don't like it, then just disable it. It's silly to get into a debate about it

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#315160 - 09/30/13 02:02 AM

> I tried those settings, and while it looks way better than the default settings, it
> still looks absolutely nothing like a real CRT.
It's a simulation of a CRT. After tweaking it you'll get good results.
> I think they need to go back to the drawing board with HLSL.
I'm sure as more power comes to PC's, The future holds an upgrade. I waited for a while for the glowing effects. (See top threads).
Although I can no longer run it on my older PC. Its still a pleasure to have. So let's be thankful there are programmers trying the hardest for these wonderful upgrades.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

bulbousbeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#315168 - 09/30/13 07:57 AM

I love the idea of HLSL. I just don't think the specific implementation is actually doing what you'd expect.

If you take a magnifying glass to a real CRT and look at what it's displaying, it simply isn't the same as what's being outputted on an LCD using HLSL, and I was under the impression that the whole point of HLSL was to be able to make LCDs look like CRTs (?).

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#315170 - 09/30/13 09:33 AM

> If you take a magnifying glass to a real CRT and look at what it's displaying, it
> simply isn't the same as what's being outputted on an LCD using HLSL, and I was under
> the impression that the whole point of HLSL was to be able to make LCDs look like
> CRTs (?).

Just repeating what has already been said:

You're supposed to fiddle with the settings until it does. I agree the default settings don't look very good, I wouldn't be surprised if that's by design. It's basically begging you to tweak it.
HLSL is one of the best things to happen to MAME in years.

If you don't like it, or if you don't have the patience to adjust it, then turn it off and use the good old .png overlays.

S

Dullaron
Send PM

#315171 - 09/30/13 10:31 AM

> I love the idea of HLSL. I just don't think the specific implementation is actually
> doing what you'd expect.
>
> If you take a magnifying glass to a real CRT and look at what it's displaying, it
> simply isn't the same as what's being outputted on an LCD using HLSL, and I was under
> the impression that the whole point of HLSL was to be able to make LCDs look like
> CRTs (?).

The problem is this. Gonna take a while before looking like this on MAME.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ms._Pac-Man_%26_Donkey_Kong_-_arcade_cabinets.jpg

===================================================

From http://donkeykongarcade.blogspot.com/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R5XIyCtigO0/UUJNMcp-lTI/AAAAAAAAAJo/GTlZrBk4UGk/s1600/IMG_2585.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FpoNMI8SwJY/TFh4vDbDUTI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/P18_L6dIloo/s1600/DSC00230.JPG

Bulb glowing and shadow effect. Can't do that yet.

You can do brightness, blur, scan lines and other things. But not even close to what these pictures are showing.

Just enjoy what we have. Later down the road it gonna get better.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Calamity
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

#315173 - 09/30/13 12:51 PM

> CRTs (?).

You can't simulate a CRT on an LCD by copying the CRT's shadow mask. LCDs simply are not bright enough for this yet. Even if a LCD is overall brighter than a CRT, its individual pixels are not. On a CRT, only a portion of its surface actually glows, but it glows a lot. You can test this easily with Paint by drawing a pattern of red, green and blue pixels one after the other at their top brightness (255). What you get on your LCD is grey, instead of white. That's why HLSL needs to use plain colors to achieve an acceptable level of brightness and its probably the best that can be done.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#315183 - 09/30/13 05:01 PM

> Is it just me, or does HLSL look nothing like a real CRT monitor?

The default settings for HLSL are similar to the so-called "torch mode" that modern HDTVs default to where the picture is unnaturally bright and vivid because that's what uneducated consumers prefer (and also because your average Best Buy has way brighter lighting than your average living room). In the case of CRT simulation, emulation users have shown a marked preference for a look that I describe as "the monitor PCB is on fire while the CRT is being sucked into Cygnus X-1": extreme curvature that you'd never see on a real physical object that could hold a vacuum, all the settings that correspond to "fucked up capacitors" cranked to 11, and so on.

Many users have come up with much better settings; if you actually learn what all the settings do you can accurately simulate the trademark foibles of pretty much any monitor on the planet, because it's all mathematically based on the actual physics of CRTs and their associated electronics.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: R. Belmont]
#315189 - 09/30/13 06:27 PM

> > Is it just me, or does HLSL look nothing like a real CRT monitor?
>
> The default settings for HLSL are similar to the so-called "torch mode" that modern
> HDTVs default to where the picture is unnaturally bright and vivid because that's
> what uneducated consumers prefer (and also because your average Best Buy has way
> brighter lighting than your average living room). In the case of CRT simulation,
> emulation users have shown a marked preference for a look that I describe as "the
> monitor PCB is on fire while the CRT is being sucked into Cygnus X-1": extreme
> curvature that you'd never see on a real physical object that could hold a vacuum,
> all the settings that correspond to "fucked up capacitors" cranked to 11, and so on.
>
> Many users have come up with much better settings; if you actually learn what all the
> settings do you can accurately simulate the trademark foibles of pretty much any
> monitor on the planet, because it's all mathematically based on the actual physics of
> CRTs and their associated electronics.

I was playing with HLSL for the first time in quite a while the other day. To me, the default settings look kind of like the image you'd get filming a CRT with a video camera, like what you'd see in a period news piece about arcade games. Not how I'd want to play games all the time, but it is kind of a neat effect. It's so processed it almost doesn't look like a live game you can interact with.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: DMala]
#315200 - 10/01/13 12:40 AM

Good and informative thread. I like HLSL a lot and am very impressed with how the devs have made it work with mame. I stopped using though, because changes to the sliders don't save. When this gets fixed I will use it again. In the meantime I'm using SweetFX.

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

#315269 - 10/02/13 04:58 PM

I did some tests with hlsl some time ago, but I didn't get good results. The main problem is that the grill is not uniform and with scrolls it looks horrible.

I have better results with a custom RGB effect + a custom setup of SweetFX postprocessing filters.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: Elaphe]
#315270 - 10/02/13 05:34 PM

Everything I've seen about sweetfx looks absolutely horrible and you've just further confirmed that.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#315271 - 10/02/13 05:44 PM

> Everything I've seen about sweetfx looks absolutely horrible and you've just further
> confirmed that.

Yeah, that's easily the most terrible looking MAME screens I've ever seen. And further proof that users don't actually want accurate-looking CRT simulation.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#315273 - 10/02/13 07:18 PM

> I did some tests with hlsl some time ago, but I didn't get good results. The main
> problem is that the grill is not uniform and with scrolls it looks horrible.

That's adjustable!

Go back to defaults (write a new ini with mame -cc) then set prescale to 2 or 3 to begin with.

S

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: R. Belmont]
#315275 - 10/02/13 09:57 PM

I understand that you defend hlsl over other ways to simulate crt displays, but you don't need such excuses.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#315276 - 10/02/13 10:07 PM

> I understand that you defend hlsl over other ways to simulate crt displays, but you
> don't need such excuses.

No, you don't understand. I own multiple working CRT displays and I've been to California Extreme half a dozen times, and your screenshots are *nothing* like what real CRTs look like.

If you like that look, good for you and feel free to enjoy it, but it's in no way a CRT simulation.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#315277 - 10/02/13 10:51 PM

They're just being honest. I thought the same thing. SweetFX doesn't look very good. At least from the pics you posted. Before I read what you posted, I looked at the pics and thought they were bad hlsl settings. I was surprised you were impressed with them

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#315279 - 10/02/13 11:39 PM

Yep. I have a SF2CE cabinet and it looks absolutely NOTHING like the SweetFX images do. While I can't get MAME's HLSL to look absolutely perfect, I'd honestly say that it comes to within 95% for raster games.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#315280 - 10/02/13 11:43 PM

> If you like that look, good for you and feel free to enjoy it, but it's in no way a
> CRT simulation.

That's the thing, right there. I think many (most?) people don't care about simulating a CRT accurately, they just want something to soften up the chunky look of the raw output. As with any cool effect, it's easy to go overboard and not even realize it. You see the same thing adding EQ, reverb, or any kind of effect to audio.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: DMala]
#315282 - 10/03/13 12:40 AM

There's nothing wrong with SweetFX...if you take the time to set it up correctly, as is the case with HLSL:

SweetFx:

..but at the end of the day it's all subjective as to what the correct look is.

Edited by Ziggy100 (10/03/13 12:47 AM)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: Ziggy100]
#315285 - 10/03/13 02:28 AM

> There's nothing wrong with SweetFX...if you take the time to set it up correctly, as
> is the case with HLSL:
>
> SweetFx:
>
>
> ..but at the end of the day it's all subjective as to what the correct look is.

How did you around off the point and put the shadow on each corner? I always have the point corners and no shadows. Is that a bowl mask with a shadow mask?

I have the scan lines look like that though. But in blocks instead of lines.

bulbousbeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: Ziggy100]
#315288 - 10/03/13 03:33 AM

That looks awful and absolutely nothing like a real arcade monitor.

bulbousbeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: Firehawke]
#315289 - 10/03/13 03:34 AM

Can you post the settings you use, because I haven't seen any evidence that the current HLSL implementation can get anywhere near "95%" accuracy.

I've never seen HLSL settings that looked even remotely close.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#315292 - 10/03/13 04:52 AM

These settings get me to 90% of my cabinet's look. I have to turn up the brightness on my display to get the remaining 5%.

It's an older CE cabinet and the previous owner didn't take very good care of it. Nevertheless, the effects have to be set to be mostly subtle otherwise it starts to look like a REALLY badly mangled monitor-- of which I've seen a few and even emulated briefly with HLSL just to see if I could get it.

Code:

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_ini_read 0
hlsl_ini_write 0
hlslini %g
hlsl_prescale_x 3
hlsl_prescale_y 3
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write
hlsl_snap_width 2048
hlsl_snap_height 1536
shadow_mask_alpha 0.20
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
shadow_mask_x_count 320
shadow_mask_y_count 240
shadow_mask_usize 0.09375
shadow_mask_vsize 0.109375
curvature 0.0
pincushion 0.02
scanline_alpha 0.25
scanline_size 1.0
scanline_height 0.9
scanline_bright_scale 1.0
scanline_bright_offset 0.0
scanline_jitter 0.0
defocus 0.0,0.0
converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation 1.1
offset 0.0,0.0,0.0
scale 1.0,1.0,1.0
power 1.0,1.0,1.0
floor 0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0

#
# NTSC POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
yiq_enable 0
yiq_cc 3.59754545
yiq_a 0.5
yiq_b 0.5
yiq_o 0.0
yiq_p 1.0
yiq_n 1.0
yiq_y 6.0
yiq_i 1.2
yiq_q 0.6
yiq_scan_time 52.6
yiq_phase_count 2

#
# VECTOR POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_time_scale 0.0
vector_time_period 0.0
vector_length_scale 0.8
vector_length_ratio 500.0

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_bloom_scale 0.3
raster_bloom_scale 0.140
raster_bloom_scale 0.10
bloom_lvl0_weight 1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight 0.21
bloom_lvl2_weight 0.19
bloom_lvl3_weight 0.17
bloom_lvl4_weight 0.15
bloom_lvl5_weight 0.14
bloom_lvl6_weight 0.13
bloom_lvl7_weight 0.12
bloom_lvl8_weight 0.11
bloom_lvl9_weight 0.10
bloom_lvl10_weight 0.09

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to HLSL new [Re: Dullaron]
#315301 - 10/03/13 11:18 AM

Quote:

How did you around off the point and put the shadow on each corner? I always have the
point corners and no shadows. Is that a bowl mask with a shadow mask?

These are the settings I use:

Code:

// MAME normal settings

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ Description /
'------------------------------------------------------------/

Game: Any
SweetFX version: 1.4
Author: CeeJay.dk
Description:

These are the default settings for SweetFX 1.4
They smoothen jagged edges with SMAA anti-aliasing, sharpen the image with LumaSharpen and make the colors slightly more vibrant with Vibrance.

Please note when tweaking settings that higher numbers does not always equal better (nor does lower).
Finding the best settings for your game and your taste is about finding just the right amount to apply.

If you made a good setttings preset please share it with your friends, on forums and websites,
and/or submit it to the SweetFX Settings Database : http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/

/ Choose effects /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0//[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.
#define USE_FXAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] FXAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the FXAA technique. WIP - Currently only works in DX9 and you need to use the FXAA injector dlls.
#define USE_CARTOON 0 //[0 or 1] Cartoon : "Toon"s the image. (Interferes with SMAA, CRT, Bloom, HDR and Lumasharpen)
#define USE_ADVANCED_CRT 1 //[0 or 1] Advanced CRT : Simulates an old CRT TV display. (Interferes with SMAA, Cartoon, Bloom, HDR and Lumasharpen, and it has a very high performance cost)
#define USE_BLOOM 0//[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 0//[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0//[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0 //[0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_DPX 0 //[0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
#define USE_MONOCHROME 0 //[0 or 1] Monochrome : Monochrome makes the colors disappear.
#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 0 //[0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
#define USE_TONEMAP 0 //[0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
#define USE_VIBRANCE 1//[0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES 0 //[0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
#define USE_SEPIA 0 //[0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
#define USE_VIGNETTE 1 //[0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 1//[0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
#define USE_BORDER 0 //[0 or 1] Border : Makes the screenedge black as a workaround for the bright edge that forcing some AA modes sometimes causes.
#define USE_SPLITSCREEN 0 //[0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/ SMAA Anti-aliasing settings /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05 //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 16 //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 6 //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 0 //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1 //[0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 1 //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
//Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.

/ FXAA Anti-aliasing settings /
#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 4 //[1 to 9] Choose the quality preset. 9 is the highest quality.
#define fxaa_Subpix 0.400 //[0.000 to 1.000] Choose the amount of sub-pixel aliasing removal.
#define fxaa_EdgeThreshold 0.250 //[0.000 to 1.000] Edge detection threshold. The minimum amount of local contrast required to apply algorithm.
#define fxaa_EdgeThresholdMin 0.060 //[0.000 to 1.000] Darkness threshold. Trims the algorithm from processing darks.

/ Cartoon settings /
#define CartoonPower 0.0 //[0.1 to 10.0] Amount of effect you want.

/ Advanced CRT settings /
'----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define CRTAmount 0.99 //[0.00 to 1.00] Amount of CRT effect you want

#define CRTResolution 4.00 //[1.0 to 8.O] Input size coefficent (low values gives the "low-res retro look"). Default is 1.2
#define CRTgamma 2.80 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of simulated CRT (default 2.4)
#define CRTmonitorgamma 1.60 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of display monitor (typically 2.2 is correct)
#define CRTBrightness 2.45 //[1.0 to 3.0] Used to boost brightness a little. Default is 1.0
#define CRTScanlineIntensity 2.00 //[2.0 to 4.0] Scanlines intensity (use integer values preferably). Default is 2.0
#define CRTScanlineGaussian 1 //[0 or 1] Use the "new nongaussian scanlines bloom effect". Default is on

#define CRTCurvature 1 //[[0 or 1] "Barrel effect" enabled (1) or off (0)
#define CRTCurvatureRadius 1.80 //[0.0 to 2.0] Curvature Radius (only effective when Curvature is enabled). Default is 1.5
#define CRTCornerSize 0.0100 //[0.0000 to 0.0020] Higher values, more rounded corner. Default is 0.001
#define CRTDistance 4.00 //[0.00 to 4.00] Simulated distance from viewer to monitor. Default is 2.00
#define CRTAngleX 0.00 //[-0.20 to 0.20] Tilt angle in radians (X coordinates)
#define CRTAngleY 0.00 //[-0.20 to 0.20] Tilt angle in radians (Y coordinates). (Value of -0.15 gives the 'arcade tilt' look)
#define CRTOverScan 1.00 //[1.00 to 1.10] Overscan (e.g. 1.02 for 2% overscan). Default is 1.01
#define CRTOversample 1 //[0 or 1] Enable 3x oversampling of the beam profile (warning : performance hit)

/ Bloom settings /
#define BloomThreshold 27.0 //[0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define BloomPower 3.0 //[0.000 to 8.000] Strength of the bloom
#define BloomWidth 0.6 //[0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/ HDR settings /
#define HDRPower 1.05 //[0.00 to 8.00] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2 0.82 //[0.00 to 8.00] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/ LumaSharpen settings /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 0.60 //[0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp 0.035 //[0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 //[1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias 1.0 //[0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
//I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen 0 //[0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/ TECHNICOLOR settings /
#define TechniAmount 0.4 //[0.00 to 1.00]
#define TechniPower 4.0 //[0.00 to 8.00]
#define redNegativeAmount 0.88 //[0.00 to 1.00]
#define greenNegativeAmount 0.88 //[0.00 to 1.00]
#define blueNegativeAmount 0.88 //[0.00 to 1.00]

/ Cineon DPX settings /
#define Red 8.0 //[1.0 to 15.0]
#define Green 8.0 //[1.0 to 15.0]
#define Blue 8.0 //[1.0 to 15.0]

#define ColorGamma 2.5 //[0.1 to 2.5] Adjusts the colorfulness of the effect in a manner similar to Vibrance. 1.0 is neutral.
#define DPXSaturation 3.0 //[0.0 to 8.0] Adjust saturation of the effect. 1.0 is neutral.

#define RedC 0.36 //[0.60 to 0.20]
#define GreenC 0.36 //[0.60 to 0.20]
#define BlueC 0.34 //[0.60 to 0.20]

#define Blend 0.2 //[0.00 to 1.00] How strong the effect should be.

/ Monochrome settings /
#define Monochrome_conversion_values float3(0.18,0.41,0.41) //[0.00 to 1.00] Percentage of RGB to include (should sum up to 1.00)

/ Lift Gamma Gain settings /
#define RGB_Lift float3(0.990, 0.990, 1.020) //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gamma float3(0.990, 0.990, 1.020) //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gain float3(0.990, 0.990, 1.020) //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

/ Tonemap settings /
#define Gamma 1.0 //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones

#define Exposure 0.00 //[-1.000 to 1.000] Adjust exposure

#define Saturation 0.00 //[-1.000 to 1.000] Adjust saturation

#define Bleach 0.00 //[0.000 to 1.000] Brightens the shadows and fades the colors

#define Defog 0.000 //[0.000 to 1.000] How much of the color tint to remove
#define FogColor float3(0.00, 0.00, 2.55) //[0.00 to 2.55, 0.00 to 2.55, 0.00 to 2.55] What color to remove - default is blue

/ Vibrance settings /
#define Vibrance 0.65 //[-1.00 to 1.00] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/ Curves settings /
#define Curves_mode 0 //[0|1|2] Choose what to apply contrast to. 0 = Luma, 1 = Chroma, 2 = both Luma and Chroma. Default is 0 (Luma)
#define Curves_contrast 0.15 //[-1.00 to 1.00] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
#define Curves_formula 2 //[1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9] The contrast s-curve you want to use.
//1 = Sine, 2 = Abs split, 3 = Smoothstep, 4 = Exp formula, 5 = Simplified Catmull-Rom (0,0,1,1), 6 = Perlins Smootherstep
//7 = Abs add, 8 = Techicolor Cinestyle, 9 = Parabola.
//Note that Technicolor Cinestyle is practically identical to Sine, but runs slower. In fact I think the difference might only be due to rounding errors.
//I prefer 2 myself, but 3 is a nice alternative with a little more effect (but harsher on the highlight and shadows) and it's the fastest formula.

/ Sepia settings /
#define ColorTone float3(1.40, 1.10, 0.90) //[0.00 to 2.55, 0.00 to 2.55, 0.00 to 2.55] What color to tint the image
#define GreyPower 0.11 //[0.00 to 1.00] How much desaturate the image before tinting it
#define SepiaPower 0.58 //[0.00 to 1.00] How much to tint the image

/ Vignette settings /
#define VignetteRatio 1.25 //[0.15 to 6.00] Sets a width to height ratio. 1.00 (1/1) is perfectly round, while 1.60 (16/10) is 60 % wider than it's high.
#define VignetteRadius -1.00 //[-1.00 to 3.00] lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -1.75 //[-2.00 to 1.00] Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope 8 //[1 to 16] How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) //[0.000 to 1.000, 0.000 to 1.000] Center of effect.

/ Dither settings /
#define dither_method 2 //[1 or 2] 1 = Ordering dithering (good and very fast), 2 = Random dithering (even better dithering but not as fast)

//Note that the patterns used by Dither, makes an image harder to compress.
//This can make your screenshots and video recordings take up more space.

/ Border settings /
//No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

/ Splitscreen settings /
#define splitscreen_mode 1 //[1|2|3|4|5] 1 = Vertical 50/50 split, 2 = Vertical 25/50/25 split, 3 = Vertical 50/50 angled split, 4 = Horizontal 50/50 split, 5 = Horizontal 25/50/25 split

..just copy and paste the lot into your settings if you want to try them.

Dullaron
Send PM

Not working. Even hit Scroll/lock. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#315322 - 10/03/13 08:31 PM Attachment: w8.png 49 KB (0 downloads)

Paste those settings into SweetFX_settings.txt

Here where the files are at. I click on mame64 then hit Scroll/lock. Got nothing.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Not working. Even hit Scroll/lock. new [Re: Dullaron]
#315323 - 10/03/13 09:19 PM

Regualr SweetFx doesn't work with 64bit apps.

use this version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/55w1kcn99k4nths/Swfx_Injector_20130601.zip

Remember to use the 64bit DLL files included in the download.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Not working. Even hit Scroll/lock. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#315325 - 10/03/13 11:07 PM Attachment: iWKad22.jpg 90 KB (0 downloads)

> Regualr SweetFx doesn't work with 64bit apps.
>
> use this version:
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/download/55w1kcn99k4nths/Swfx_Injector_20130601.zip
>
> Remember to use the 64bit DLL files included in the download.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Not working. Even hit Scroll/lock. new [Re: B2K24]
#315326 - 10/03/13 11:15 PM

your point?

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Not working. Even hit Scroll/lock. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#315327 - 10/04/13 03:20 AM

> Regualr SweetFx doesn't work with 64bit apps.
>
> use this version:
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/download/55w1kcn99k4nths/Swfx_Injector_20130601.zip
>
> Remember to use the 64bit DLL files included in the download.

Well I replace all. Crashing the mame64 when I load it. So I went into my C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and then copy those. Still isn't working. Maybe it doesn't work on my Windows 8. Pretty much something isn't loading at all.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Update: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371086

Someone else had the same issue.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Update: It does not work with 64bit game executables yet, however 64bit support should be coming in the near future - so far use the 32bit version of your game if it gives you a choice between 32 and 64bit.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

Edited by Dullaron (10/04/13 04:21 AM)

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: Not working. Even hit Scroll/lock. new [Re: B2K24]
#315345 - 10/04/13 02:50 PM Attachment: triple facepalm.jpg 32 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Send PM

lol new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#315349 - 10/04/13 04:33 PM

This so funny.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: lol new [Re: Dullaron]
#315359 - 10/04/13 08:08 PM

Use boulotaur's builds bro!

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: lol new [Re: Outrun2006]
#315360 - 10/04/13 08:46 PM

> Use boulotaur's builds bro!

Nope. HLSL is much better for MAME 64 bit. No hassle on getting it to work. Without the shadow, tilted and rounded corners for now. Note: Shadow image and rounded corners image would be much better than using tools anyway. Tilted is another story.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8584