View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Looking for a CPS-1 board
#314713 - 09/18/13 01:21 PM

I already searched the KLOV forums, but I wasn't successful yet, so I'll try it here as well:

Does anybody own a working CPS-1 board, i.e. the A board that was used for "Street Fighter II"? I need one and I would buy it.

I'm looking specifically for the 89626A-4 version, the board that was used for "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior". (Not the 89626A-4 DASH version, nor any of the older ones.)

The board needs to be working without problems. My own one has some sound issues, that's why I'm looking for a replacement. I guess I would also take two, so that I have a speare board.

If the corresponding B board is "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior", revision USA 910206 (SF2UA), I'll take that too. Otherwise, I wouldn't really need the B board.

If you own such a board and want to sell it, please contact me. Thanks.

P.S.: I could offer a 89626A-4 DASH board in exchange.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Looking for a CPS-1 board new [Re: DaRayu]
#314744 - 09/18/13 11:00 PM

Why don't you just get yours repaired?

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Looking for a CPS-1 board new [Re: redk9258]
#314745 - 09/18/13 11:11 PM

1. I don't know what's wrong with it.
2. I don't know who should do it.
3. I don't want a board with any non-original parts.
4. Overall, buying a new one is probably cheaper and less problematic.

I've got another question: How come that this board was said to be so common, yet I find nobody who has it for sale?

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#314746 - 09/18/13 11:44 PM

> 3. I don't want a board with any non-original parts.

How do you know that the boards you already have have never been repaired?

How do you identify non-original parts?

S

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#314748 - 09/18/13 11:47 PM

Because they go bad a lot these days so to a cps1 collector with his head screwed on straight they are more valuable to hold onto to fix a future problem than to sell for the current going rate. And yeah they aren't worth paying to have fixed unless you are just extremely into hardware preservation. It will probably cost you more to ship it back and forth than the board is worth even before a repair cost. You could pick another game you are interested in that uses it and buy that as a complete boardset then switch between games by swapping the motherboard. Or wait for one to pop up on ebay. It does happen from time to time.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Looking for a CPS-1 board new [Re: Smitdogg]
#314750 - 09/19/13 12:45 AM

> How do you know that the boards you already have have never been repaired?
>
> How do you identify non-original parts?

Good question indeed. How do I? Is it possible?

> You could pick
> another game you are interested in that uses it and buy that as a complete boardset

Which games used the non-DASH 89626A-4 version of the A board? Unfortunately, the cps1.c file from the MAME source code doesn't list which game natively used what board?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#314751 - 09/19/13 12:53 AM

Games that came out prior to Champion Edition shipped out with the non Dash board but since they are backwards compatible and newer a lot of Dash boards have been used in repairs for the older games. You would need to ask them to check if it has a 10Mhz or 12Mhz crystal.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#314763 - 09/19/13 03:07 AM

> > How do you know that the boards you already have have never been repaired?
> >
> > How do you identify non-original parts?
>
> Good question indeed. How do I? Is it possible?

It depends on what was replaced and the person who did the repair. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the soldering work, sometimes it's done well enough that you can't. If a socketed IC was replaced, you will not be able to tell. Some repairs or mods are obvious like a an IC with a bent pin that has a wire soldered to it going to somewhere else..

Another thing you could ask yourself is what is "an original part"?

You may find that one CPS-1 board has Toshiba ICs while another one has Hitachi ICs in the same spot. Those would be functionally identical, they could be, I don't know, RAM ICs for example. Likewise, if two or three capacitors on your board are from a different manufacturer than the rest, that's probably how it left the assembly line.

You can see this on two same generation CPS-1 A-boards if you compare the photos at the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/CPS1_Repair_Logs

S

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#314774 - 09/19/13 08:46 AM

> Games that came out prior to Champion Edition shipped out with the non Dash board but
> since they are backwards compatible and newer a lot of Dash boards have been used in
> repairs for the older games. You would need to ask them to check if it has a 10Mhz or
> 12Mhz crystal.

Yes, I know about the Dash board. And "Final Fight" had an even older CPS-1 board: 88617A. So, in what timeframe do I have to look for the 89626A-4 board? Which was the oldest game that might be bundled with it?

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#314775 - 09/19/13 09:08 AM

> > Games that came out prior to Champion Edition shipped out with the non Dash board but
> > since they are backwards compatible and newer a lot of Dash boards have been used in
> > repairs for the older games. You would need to ask them to check if it has a 10Mhz or
> > 12Mhz crystal.
>
> Yes, I know about the Dash board. And "Final Fight" had an even older CPS-1 board:
> 88617A. So, in what timeframe do I have to look for the 89626A-4 board? Which was the
> oldest game that might be bundled with it?

You know, there's probably no-one else out there who actually cares. Most people just want a working game. At most they might burn a different version to EPROM to get the exact experience they want. They're generally pretty happy if capacitors, RAM or CPUs have been replaced with higher-spec equivalents. If you're aiming for ultimate purity like this, you'll be on your own.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Looking for a CPS-1 board new [Re: Matty_]
#314778 - 09/19/13 10:02 AM

> If you're aiming for ultimate purity
> like this, you'll be on your own.

What does that even mean? As if getting such a board is something that has to be accomplished like climbing a mountain where you might get help or you might not.
In my case, it's a simple yes/no question: Either someone owns such a board for sale or he doesn't, no matter if that person himself cares what parts he uses when he plays. What does "you'll be on your own" mean in this context? For example, what would "you are not on your own, you have help", look like here? I mean, it's not like I asked you all to go out and look for such a board. To roam through second hand shops for something like that. All I was asking is: "Who has such a board and would sell it?" So, the remark "you'll be on your own" makes no sense in this context.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#314784 - 09/19/13 01:14 PM

> So, in what timeframe do I have to look for the 89626A-4 board? Which was the
> oldest game that might be bundled with it?

Use the source: http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/video/cps1.c.html

If A boards are interchangeable across the whole CPS-1 catalog (up until SFII Championship Edition) narrowing your search to games that were released within a certain time frame means you'll miss many opportunities to get what you're looking for - by now there are probably more mix & matched boardsets on the market than factory paired boardsets!

How do you know that your boardset was a "matching" pair in the first place? If there are no serial numbers there's no way for you to tell?

S

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#314790 - 09/19/13 03:29 PM

There's no list of that. The boards have been so interchanged now that it's hard to guess. So just ask sellers. But I think it was 1991. I have a World Warrior complete set I could sell you but you'd end up paying international shipping costs so you'd be better off finding something local.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#314791 - 09/19/13 03:55 PM

> I have a World Warrior complete
> set I could sell you but you'd end up paying international shipping costs so you'd be
> better off finding something local.

Well, since I have problems finding anything at all, I guess limiting myself to Germany or even Europe makes it much harder. Actually, I don't mind paying the shipping costs. All of my boards, my supergun, my NES, my NES games and even the CRT TV were shipped from the United States.

So, if you really have a working set with the board I'm looking for, sure, I'm interested. Can you do some photos of everything (i.e. the A and the B board)? And how much do you want to have for it?

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Looking for a CPS-1 board new [Re: Sune]
#314792 - 09/19/13 04:01 PM

> How do you know that your boardset was a "matching" pair in the first place? If there
> are no serial numbers there's no way for you to tell?

They are "matching" if "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior" uses the 89626A-4 board. Of course I don't mean that the A board and B board have to be from the same shipping. That's impossible anyway since the B board that I want to use for playing is one that I already own, not the one that comes with the A board. (Because my B board has a very specific revision of "Street Fighter II".)

Let's compare it like this: I don't care that the "Tetris" cartridge that I'm playing is not the one that came shipped with this specific Game Boy. But I insist on playing "Tetris" on the original classic Game Boy, not on the Game Boy Pocket, even though they are technically interchangable.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#314793 - 09/19/13 04:09 PM

$75 + shipping. I can do photos later.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#314796 - 09/19/13 04:21 PM

> $75 + shipping.

That's fine.

> I can do photos later.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#314803 - 09/19/13 06:46 PM

> They are "matching" if "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior" uses the 89626A-4
> board. Of course I don't mean that the A board and B board have to be from the same
> shipping. That's impossible anyway since the B board that I want to use for playing
> is one that I already own, not the one that comes with the A board. (Because my B
> board has a very specific revision of "Street Fighter II".)

If that's what it comes down to, then it doesn't matter which A board you get as long as it isn't a dash.

> Let's compare it like this: I don't care that the "Tetris" cartridge that I'm playing
> is not the one that came shipped with this specific Game Boy. But I insist on playing
> "Tetris" on the original classic Game Boy, not on the Game Boy Pocket, even though
> they are technically interchangeable.

Continuing with that analogy it sounded to me like you were insisting on acquiring a Tetris cartridge and a Game Boy from the same year!

S

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Looking for a CPS-1 board new [Re: Sune]
#314804 - 09/19/13 07:26 PM

> If that's what it comes down to, then it doesn't matter which A board you get as long
> as it isn't a dash.

Well, the 88617A boards visually look different than 89626A-4. And I don't know if they are technically really identical (i.e. the plastic is different, but the cable stuff is all identical down to any single circuit, like the AVGN's Nintoaster relates to a real NES) or just an equivalent (i.e. they produce the same end result, but accomplish it differently, like a Game Boy Pocket who does the same as a Game Boy, but needs only two small batteries instead of the four medium ones).
But those older boards aren't the problem anyway. Whenever I see a "Street Fighter II" unit, they always have the small (= younger) board. The only thing I don't see unless I have photos: Is it the 10 MHz version or the 12 MHz Dash version?

> Continuing with that analogy it sounded to me like you were insisting on acquiring a
> Tetris cartridge and a Game Boy from the same year!

According to my analogy: As long as the cartridges didn't change, I don't care. But I do want the original front loader NES, not the later top loader version. And I don't care in what year my "Zelda" cartridge was produced. As long as it's the PRG0 version and not PRG1.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#314842 - 09/20/13 05:14 AM Attachment: sf2.zip 4310 KB (12 downloads)

I attached the pics, you can send me a PM with your mailing address.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1603