View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jen8
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/13
Send PM

No roms ???
#314712 - 09/18/13 12:57 PM

Ok heres the thing, Jennifer has read the rules, Here and other forums, Interesting they are pretty much the same whereever you go, Mostly dont discuss sources for Roms, and aparently dont ask for lists and things...Most everything else, thats ok, but dont discuss the availability of Roms. Jennifer was under the impression that they were leagle to have if you owned the game, and Mame,[Way back in the early days] was suposed to document and backup for the OEM, but today they dont talk about that, Its againt the rules...Am I missing someting? I own these games and boards I seek Roms for yet I cant discuss them ???

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: No roms ??? new [Re: jen8]
#314714 - 09/18/13 01:28 PM

> Ok heres the thing, Jennifer has read the rules, Here and other forums, Interesting
> they are pretty much the same whereever you go, Mostly dont discuss sources for Roms,
> and aparently dont ask for lists and things...Most everything else, thats ok, but
> dont discuss the availability of Roms. Jennifer was under the impression that they
> were leagle to have if you owned the game, and Mame,[Way back in the early days] was
> suposed to document and backup for the OEM, but today they dont talk about that, Its
> againt the rules...Am I missing someting? I own these games and boards I seek Roms
> for yet I cant discuss them ???

Yep, pretty much. We have our own rules here, and so you can't ask where to get roms. End of story.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#314721 - 09/18/13 03:30 PM

Google / Bing is your friend.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

bdam
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/07
Send PM

#314723 - 09/18/13 03:53 PM

>I own these games and boards I seek Roms for yet I cant discuss them

That doesn't compute ... if you own the boards then you own the ROMs. I'm fairly certain you can discuss 'getting ROMs' here ... you buy boards and read the chips off of them.

If you want to know where to download ROMs then this isn't the place. To be fair, no discussion really needs to take place on that particular topic. If you can't use Google or the search engine of your choice then I'm not sure what meaningful discussion could take place here.

jen8
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: No roms ??? new [Re: Robbbert]
#314736 - 09/18/13 08:31 PM

Problem solved....

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: No "where roms sites?" related posts new [Re: jen8]
#314741 - 09/18/13 09:24 PM

>but today they dont talk about that, Its against the rules...

Nothing new. It's same old rule when Santeri S. was running the old MAME.net web site (from 1999 to 2009...now gone). KC (KillerClown) and company (Roc and twisty) also felt that way so that way MAMEWorld (from 2000 to present) could still be running today without corporate attorneys having a field day closing down sites like what happened in late 1990s with emulation back then.

>Jennifer was under the impression that they were leagle to have if you owned the game,
>and Mame,[Way back in the early days] was suposed to document and backup for the OEM,

A bit of a stretch here with this notion, but for one's own pcbs/cartridges etc, it could be possible to have self dumped roms online on one's own personal web site with explanation that roms are online for other owners of same pcb to download in order to help owner be able to repair their own pcb in case pcb uses same roms and is same version.

One cannot post on MAMEWorld forums to a page with dumped roms from own pcb even if the idea is roms are there on pcb repair/tech page to help other pcb owners.

Most folks here can see the difference between the roms from a pcb repair page versus a rom site, but to corporate attorneys, it doesn't matter to them since they are hired guns from companies. That's why it's better to play it safe here on MW (others sites too) no matter what with only legal link is to MAMEdev site with roms there given by permission of copyright owners for users to download.

o/t : I hope MAMEdev can get permission for Exidy Attack and other 1970s era Exidy non-cpu rom based games to be available for download. Only DICE uses Attack, but Death Race and Alley Rally might eventually turn up later......when emulated is another matter.

jen8
MAME Fan
Send PM

#314805 - 09/19/13 07:52 PM

Re: Gregf
So couple that with the fact Jen cant talk about credit units and coin mechs either, [and probibally the associated driver hacks], Suddenly Mame doesnt seem much like anything I can use....And since nobody can/will/should talk about that "half" of the subject...It kinda paints Mame in an undesirable light.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#314807 - 09/19/13 08:30 PM

It works the opposite way for people here though (paints you in an undesirable light instead of mame). The no rom request thing started at least as far back as 1999 at places and originated from not knowing if someone could be sued over allowing links on a message board and so on. Later it became something to stop people annoying mamedevs and today it remains as an idiot deterrent. For one thing if people can't find roms with Google they are deemed too stupid to post here and for another, on a lot (not all) of rom sites the messages people leave are of less intelligence than youtube comments.

And obviously nobody wants to spend years working on mame (or anything) so people can make money off their work and make it look like a criminal enterprise where people off the street charge others money to play games they aren't licensed on. A lot of people hanging around here work on mame so expecting them to help you with a coin mech is full retard.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#314808 - 09/19/13 08:33 PM

> Re: Gregf
> So couple that with the fact Jen cant talk about credit units and coin mechs either,
> [and probibally the associated driver hacks], Suddenly Mame doesnt seem much like
> anything I can use....And since nobody can/will/should talk about that "half" of the
> subject...It kinda paints Mame in an undesirable light.

A depressingly large number of people have managed to set up MAME cabinets on location with real working money coming in without our help. If our prohibitions are a tall enough fence to stop you, at least they're doing *something*.

Real Talk: MAME is a hobbyist volunteer project. We make it for people to enjoy for free. If you're charging for access, you're doing a disservice to both the devs and the users.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#314812 - 09/19/13 09:09 PM

> So couple that with the fact Jen cant talk about credit units and coin mechs either,
> [and probibally the associated driver hacks], Suddenly Mame doesnt seem much like
> anything I can use....And since nobody can/will/should talk about that "half" of the
> subject...It kinda paints Mame in an undesirable light.

What a strange thing to say.

Bye bye then!

S

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: No roms ??? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#314814 - 09/19/13 09:19 PM

Going to +1 this and say this: Unless you saw the great purges of the late 90s, you have no idea why this rule is clamped down on so hard. A lot of sites went down over this, and it drove what remained pretty well underground.

They're out there if you really want to dig for them, but it will hurt *THIS COMMUNITY* legally if we assist with that process at all. It's that simple.

Being that this project is 100% adverse to anyone making money off of MAME, coin mechs for MAME are only there to make money for people who don't care about doing the right thing.

I ask kindly that you refrain from such behavior as it reflects very poorly upon us all.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

jen8
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: No roms ??? new [Re: Firehawke]
#314818 - 09/19/13 11:14 PM

I think you guys are kinda missing the point...Mame goes back farther than the 90s, Back to the mid 80s or so,
With the promise of arcade support. I am not asking for help to hack your emulators here in reguard to credit units, merely making an observation...My interest was to convert OEM hardware with emulation,[and dumping my own roms] But somewhere along the line this has become about free, Not preserving the game at all.... I must say I feel kinda lied to in terms of the leagality.

Edited by jen8 (09/19/13 11:17 PM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Are you sure? Check on the link. new [Re: jen8]
#314819 - 09/19/13 11:18 PM

http://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

MAME v0.1 - 05 Feb 1997

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#314820 - 09/19/13 11:31 PM

Can you post some Hi-res pictures of the hardware/boards that you have please?

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#314825 - 09/20/13 12:49 AM

> I think you guys are kinda missing the point...Mame goes back farther than the 90s,
> Back to the mid 80s or so,
> With the promise of arcade support.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but no matter how far back it goes, the ROMs are the property of the rights holders, whoever they may be. Just because you're selling CD players doesn't mean you get to give away free CDs of somebody elses music, even if it's old music there's still someone somewhere who owns it. MAME is very popular, and is so good at what it does that the rights holders have licensed code from it for use on compilations of their own games. Talking about where to download ROMs here is not like two hobbyists sharing a couple of ROM chips to upgrade their own boards at home.

I am not asking for help to hack your emulators
> here in reguard to credit units, merely making an observation...My interest was to
> convert OEM hardware with emulation,[and dumping my own roms].

Why didn't you just come out and say that from the beginning? The way you present yourself you come across as trolling just for the sake of it.
You've had a BYOAC account for years and you know that that's the best place to ask about this, what were you doing over there all this time if not "building your own arcade controls"? Or at least noticing that that's what everyone else is doing.

> But somewhere along the line this has become about free, Not preserving the game at
> all.... I must say I feel kinda lied to in terms of the leagality.

It's true that most people like MAME because it allows them to play classic games for free, as long as they can find the ROMs. Ironically this "illegal" part of MAME plays a big part in the preservation aspect, you have all this game code stored on computers all across the world now.

I don't understand, what do you mean you feel lied to? MAME in itself is completely legal, the source code is available to the public and the MAME documentation is perfectly clear on what MAME does and what it's about, what else is there?

S

jen8
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: No roms ??? new [Re: Sune]
#314853 - 09/20/13 10:34 AM

> You've had a BYOAC account for years and you know that that's the best place to ask
> about this, what were you doing over there all this time if not "building your own
> arcade controls"? Or at least noticing that that's what everyone else is doing.

Jennifer smiles all big and pretty, [and since you asked so nice], I am NOT a Mamegirl, never have been,and never claimed to be... If you know Jenn, you also know I do distressed high level restorations. You would also know Im not a "Dumb girl" who cant Google, And you would also know my only interest is preservation of old games...I came here to search out the DU in the interest of dumping Roms since this is where the Mame World and mine cross paths. They aparently have all they they need...So my stay here has been pedesterian at best, even to the point of sugesting Jennifer should leave.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#314855 - 09/20/13 12:28 PM

> I came here to search out the DU in the interest of dumping Roms since this
> is where the Mame World and mine cross paths. They aparently have all they they
> need...

OK, this is new. Are you saying you have games or rom versions that are not in mame?

To clarify about what you can and can't discuss:
- You CAN talk about dumping roms, replacing them, burning them, or any other thing about the actual physical parts.
- You CAN talk about boards, cabinets, controllers, gameplay, etc
- You CAN'T ask or say where to get a binary image of a rom dump (as in post a link)
- You CAN'T talk about sites that offer binary images.
- You CAN'T talk about making money out of using MAME (including putting coin slots on a mame cabinet).
- It's inadvisable to talk about games that are banned from being in MAME.

So you see, you will be able to talk (mostly) about the things you are doing.

Bugfinder
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Send PM

#314931 - 09/22/13 03:31 AM

What the heck is this talking about yourself in third person ayway?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2100