MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

ccronik
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/04/13
Send PM

Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file?
#314585 - 09/16/13 03:12 PM

Hi!

Actually, I have couple questions:

1. First:

Is there some MAME version or some other arcade emulator that can doo re-recording to input file and that it has autofire option?

FBAS has re-recording and autofire, but it has bug with autofire and autofire is not recorded into input file. So recorded input is different from what you see on screen while you play.

2. Second:

Does MAME, or it's variants and clones, has option for vertical sync? Because it looks that some games, if I move fast, has those "problems" with graphic. You know, some distortion occurs while you play and it's probably recorded in video.

That's it. I want to record some videos, that's why I need this.

Thank you.

Bugfinder
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file? new [Re: ccronik]
#314586 - 09/16/13 03:42 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is re-recording? How does it work, exactly? Can you provide a practical example of its utility?

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file? new [Re: ccronik]
#314589 - 09/16/13 04:24 PM

There is Vsync available, what you mena by the first question idk.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file? new [Re: Bugfinder]
#314593 - 09/16/13 04:41 PM

Rerecording is typically used for TAS (tool-assisted speedrun) videos. The general idea is that you record the gameplay, and if the random number generator doesn't go your way or you make a mistake, you can back up and start re-recording from an earlier point.

Many TAS videos go into the tens of thousands of rerecords.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

ccronik
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file? new [Re: Bugfinder]
#314594 - 09/16/13 04:48 PM

You are recording to input file. You save game at one point. When you made some mistake, you load game from that save point. All progres in input file from that save point is overwritten with this new try after loading. And that can be done over and over.

So that is good thing to record perfect gameplay without mistakes. Some emulators, like FBAS, support this.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#314596 - 09/16/13 04:56 PM

Well, a quick google search for "MAME Rerecording" brought up an offshoot project by that very name. Looks like the only thing they ever put out was an alpha build in 2010 based on 0.139, though.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file? new [Re: Firehawke]
#314662 - 09/17/13 10:27 PM

> Rerecording is typically used for TAS (tool-assisted speedrun) videos. The general
> idea is that you record the gameplay, and if the random number generator doesn't go
> your way or you make a mistake, you can back up and start re-recording from an
> earlier point.
>
> Many TAS videos go into the tens of thousands of rerecords.

Yup. There's some interest in having that capability; rewinding is obviously helpful for debugging (it's easy to end up going past where the problem occurs by accident) but it hasn't happened yet. You need rock-solid save states as a basis, for one thing.

ccronik
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there emulator with: Autofire + Re-Recording to input file? new [Re: Firehawke]
#314735 - 09/18/13 07:48 PM

Thanks, but I tried it already. I now don't remember what was the problem, but that one didn't work for me.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2631