View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

HDTV + external speakers?
#314546 - 09/15/13 07:50 PM

Does anyone have an HDTV that they're using with external speakers connected directly to the TV (not through a receiver)?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: HDTV + external speakers? new [Re: krick]
#314572 - 09/16/13 07:59 AM

> Does anyone have an HDTV that they're using with external speakers connected directly
> to the TV (not through a receiver)?

No.

But this is something I'm considering getting/doing/making... (Sorry I didn't answer your question, but this had been on my mind in the past, and since your topic is close enough to it)....

Making these. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/

And I guess this would be the most economical way to get sound to the speakers (with something like)...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-383

or

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Upgraded-LP-2020A-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=pd_cp_e_0

I don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff. Receivers seem much more expensive... But I suppose that's if you have speakers for surround sound.

Knowing me: I'm probably way off (and would need a receiver or something else really expensive anyway).

LEVEL-4

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: HDTV + external speakers? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#314613 - 09/16/13 11:09 PM

The stuff you linked would work fine depending on the TV. If the audio outputs are fixed/line level, then you would have to get up to change volume on the amp. If the TV volume control adjusts the outputs, then you would be able to set the amp to whatever volume you want and just use the TV.

Receivers generally do alot more these days, like HDMI input switching, 7.1 surround, playback of music on your home network, internet radio, come with a remote, etc, so you can see why they cost more.

As for kricks question, what did you want to know?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: HDTV + external speakers? new [Re: Reznor007]
#314626 - 09/17/13 04:24 AM

I was just wondering if it was possible to use external speakers with an HDTV without using a receiver. I want to get my father an HDTV but I need to rig up some kind of speakers because he has bad hearing. However, I don't want him to have to juggle two remotes.

I did some more digging since my original post and I found one brand so far, Vizio, that seems to offer an audio out with a "Variable" setting on most of their TVs so that you can control the volume with the normal TV remote.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#314628 - 09/17/13 05:17 AM

> I was just wondering if it was possible to use external speakers with an HDTV without
> using a receiver. I want to get my father an HDTV but I need to rig up some kind of
> speakers because he has bad hearing. However, I don't want him to have to juggle two
> remotes.
>
> I did some more digging since my original post and I found one brand so far, Vizio,
> that seems to offer an audio out with a "Variable" setting on most of their TVs so
> that you can control the volume with the normal TV remote.

Maybe a sound bar would be a good solution? Most of them seem to accept optical input, so all you'd need is a optical cable from the TV to the bar. Some of them get a little spendy, but if you don't need anything fancy, a basic 2.0 system seems pretty reasonable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Home-Theater-Systems/Sound-Bars/abcat0205007.c?id=abcat0205007

Just know what you're getting into... my grandfather was hard of hearing in the last years of his life and refused to get a hearing aid. My aunt hooked him up with a nice home theater system, which was great for him, but intolerable for anyone else in the room. At his comfortable listening level, your best bet was to crack a window and sit in the front yard.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: HDTV + external speakers? new [Re: DMala]
#314629 - 09/17/13 05:44 AM

The problem with using optical out is that you now have a separate sound system that has its own remote. Plus, there's no way I'm spending that much on a speaker solution.

Assuming a get a TV with a "Variable" analog out, I plan to get something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VKUPW/

It has a manual volume control on one of the speakers, so we can set the maximum volume at the speaker. Then he's free to raise and lower the TV volume to his heart's content.

Also, it's USB powered, so it should power on/off when plugged into the TV's USB port.

Edited by krick (09/17/13 05:44 AM)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#314631 - 09/17/13 06:47 AM

> The problem with using optical out is that you now have a separate sound system that
> has its own remote.

FWIW, pretty much any decent system designed for use with a TV will have a way to respond to basic controls from the TV's remote. If all you're doing is taking a signal from the TV, and all you really need is volume control, there's no reason why you'd need two remotes.

> Assuming a get a TV with a "Variable" analog out, I plan to get something like
> this...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VKUPW/
>
> It has a manual volume control on one of the speakers, so we can set the maximum
> volume at the speaker. Then he's free to raise and lower the TV volume to his heart's
> content.
>
> Also, it's USB powered, so it should power on/off when plugged into the TV's USB
> port.

Honestly, if those are the speakers you're looking at, chances are you'll be better off with the TV's built-in speakers. When I use the built-in speakers on my Samsung, I've usually got it at 1/4 volume or less. There's a ton of headroom left if I really wanted to rattle the windows. I guarantee you it gets louder and sounds better than any $15 USB powered speakers.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: HDTV + external speakers? new [Re: DMala]
#314632 - 09/17/13 07:20 AM

My goal isn't to rattle the windows. My goal is to replace the shitty downward/backward firing HDTV speakers with actual speakers aimed at the listener.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#314633 - 09/17/13 08:39 AM

Have you considered wireless headphones with volume control for him?

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#314648 - 09/17/13 01:39 PM

Some TV's actually have speaker level outputs on the back, though that's often on bigger TV's and more high end models. That would be the simplest solution.

If you can't find one like that at a reasonable cost then the one with a variable output will be fine.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 822 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2108