MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

entity
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/18/13
Send PM

Rip mame roms from cheaper sources instead of buying pcb?
#314479 - 09/14/13 04:49 AM

Is it possible for instance, to buy Midway Arcade Treasures deluxe and have the rom data to rip and use with Mame? Really curious since I'd like to legally obtain roms but don't want to spend over $100 on each game.

Which legal compilations have rom data that can be extracted and used with Mame?

I'm interested in NBA Jam, NBA Hang Time, Mortal Kombat (1, 2, 3, ultimate mk 3, and 4); and especially the CHD games (most notably Killer Insinct 1 and 2, and Carn Evil).

Also, is there any method to improve ultimate mortal kombat 3 1.2 accuracy so Scorpion's spear taunt (Get over here!; Come here!) doesn't cut out. This doesn't happen in the real 1.2 cabinet.

Here's an explanation to why I use mame and perhaps a tip for those with computer CRT's:

Quote:

Only want to use Mame since it's the only way to get accurate emulation via a CRT monitor with natural scanlines and no lags; also gives better quality than LCD's (modern games look better too). Can use double refresh rate with double horizontal resolution on 31khz or higher CRT monitors for instance: 800x256, 640x200, 512x224, etc.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Regards

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

And so it begins <nt> new [Re: entity]
#314484 - 09/14/13 05:32 AM

No.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Rip mame roms from cheaper sources instead of buying pcb? new [Re: entity]
#314485 - 09/14/13 06:08 AM

Friday the 13th happened to be a fairly ordinary day until I read the OP.

Please delete your first post and try again

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Rip mame roms from cheaper sources instead of buying pcb? new [Re: entity]
#314508 - 09/14/13 07:35 PM

> Is it possible for instance, to buy Midway Arcade Treasures deluxe and have the rom
> data to rip and use with Mame? Really curious since I'd like to legally obtain roms
> but don't want to spend over $100 on each game.

Yes, it's possible to do this. Some hobbyist-level commercial arcade cabinet manufacturers will sell old copies of games like this so that they can "legally" provide you with ROMs.

To be honest, the legality is debatable. At the very least, you're probably violating the EULA of the software.

Still, I think it provides users like you a way to "feel better" about emulating them in MAME.

Let's concentrate on, instead, can you _technically_ do this.

And the answer is "Yes".

> Which legal compilations have rom data that can be extracted and used with Mame?

CAESAR has an old list of some collections. Many of them used ROMs (but not all):
http://caesar.logiqx.com/php/emulators.php?id=commercial

Not sure what else you can do these days. Look at cabinet manufacturers who claim they provide you with "80 legal games" and so on and see what they do... Actually I wonder how many still do this instead of supplying some indie games...

> I'm interested in NBA Jam, NBA Hang Time, Mortal Kombat (1, 2, 3, ultimate mk 3, and
> 4); and especially the CHD games (most notably Killer Insinct 1 and 2, and Carn
> Evil).

No commercial emulators use MAME CHDs AFAIK. Some of the Midway/Taito collections licensed MAME sourcecode by talking to MAMEDEVs specifically, but didn't use CHDs. For CHD-era emulation, they usually ported the sourcecode or something.

For what it's worth this discussion is flirting with Rules #1 and 2, so be careful.
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/rules.php?Cat=

Something about the rest of your post made my brain bleed.

- Stiletto

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Rip mame roms from cheaper sources instead of buying pcb? new [Re: Stiletto]
#314509 - 09/14/13 07:42 PM

> > Is it possible for instance, to buy Midway Arcade Treasures deluxe and have the rom
> > data to rip and use with Mame? Really curious since I'd like to legally obtain roms
> > but don't want to spend over $100 on each game.
>
> Yes, it's possible to do this. Some hobbyist-level commercial arcade cabinet
> manufacturers will sell old copies of games like this so that they can "legally"
> provide you with ROMs.
>
> To be honest, the legality is debatable. At the very least, you're probably violating
> the EULA of the software.
>
> Still, I think it provides users like you a way to "feel better" about emulating them
> in MAME.
>
> Let's concentrate on, instead, can you _technically_ do this.
>
> And the answer is "Yes".
>
> > Which legal compilations have rom data that can be extracted and used with Mame?
>
> CAESAR has an old list of some collections. Many of them used ROMs (but not all):
> http://caesar.logiqx.com/php/emulators.php?id=commercial
>
> Not sure what else you can do these days. Look at cabinet manufacturers who claim
> they provide you with "80 legal games" and so on and see what they do... Actually I
> wonder how many still do this instead of supplying some indie games...
>
> > I'm interested in NBA Jam, NBA Hang Time, Mortal Kombat (1, 2, 3, ultimate mk 3,
> and
> > 4); and especially the CHD games (most notably Killer Insinct 1 and 2, and Carn
> > Evil).
>
> No commercial emulators use MAME CHDs AFAIK. Some of the Midway/Taito collections
> licensed MAME sourcecode by talking to MAMEDEVs specifically, but didn't use CHDs.
> For CHD-era emulation, they usually ported the sourcecode or something.
>
> For what it's worth this discussion is flirting with Rules #1 and 2, so be careful.
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/rules.php?Cat=
>
> Something about the rest of your post made my brain bleed.
>
> - Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 368 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2891