MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/13
Send PM

When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ?
#314178 - 09/07/13 01:38 AM

I love playing shmups on mame but what I need not to do is just pressing 5 on the keyboard to just keep adding coins. When I do this it seems like it's less of a challenge to finish the game. When you play a shmup on a console the game will only allow you to continue so many times and then it's game over, which like this way.

This leads me to my question how many times do you think in general should I insert mores coins to continue before I call it quits and force myself to start over from the beginning ?

Most of the time when playing a shmup starting the game will give about between 3 to 5 ships. When they all die game is over prompting you to insert more coins. I was thinking I should finish the game on 3 or 4 more continues. meaning I think it would be fair to continue 3 to 4 more times before game over and starting over. What do you think ?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ? new [Re: MKFAN]
#314180 - 09/07/13 01:56 AM

The only way to beat one (unless it loops indefinitely) is on 1 credit. If you continue at all it's cheating/practice and completely unrewarding as you discovered.

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/13
Send PM

Re: When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#314181 - 09/07/13 02:19 AM

> The only way to beat one (unless it loops indefinitely) is on 1 credit. If you
> continue at all it's cheating/practice and completely unrewarding as you discovered.

I kinda knew someone was going to say that cause I've heard that before. If I was playing competitive and didn't a busy life then ya. I'm playing for fun but I want to feel like I it's still challenge. But seriously though continue maybe what 2 or 3 times would that be fair I you say ?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ? new [Re: MKFAN]
#314182 - 09/07/13 02:25 AM

Whatever is the lowest you can do and still feel like you are having fun I guess. But the only way to really clear one is on one credit. If you use a continue nobody will even bother recording your hiscore. Once you start playing them to clear them they quickly get to the point where they lose all satisfaction after you've continued. It sounds like you are right about at the line where you get to that point. And yeah they require a stupid amount of time and don't fit into a busy life very well.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#314183 - 09/07/13 02:38 AM

And no pausing...

From the other side of the game, go ahead and use how ever many credits it takes you to finish. Then go back and see if you can beat your own hi-score! Remember, we take Mastercard, Visa & Discover! Enjoy your playtime...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#314184 - 09/07/13 02:46 AM

> Remember, we take
> Mastercard, Visa & Discover! Enjoy your playtime...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#314199 - 09/07/13 06:48 AM

> I kinda knew someone was going to say that cause I've heard that before. If I was
> playing competitive and didn't a busy life then ya. I'm playing for fun but I want to
> feel like I it's still challenge. But seriously though continue maybe what 2 or 3
> times would that be fair I you say ?

It seems to me that it's entirely a personal preference: play until it gets boring. I'll stuff a game full of credits once, just so I can see the end. Most times though, if I'm just playing a casual game, I don't continue more than once or twice, if at all.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#314206 - 09/07/13 10:03 AM

Go to "dip-switch" menu and disable continues. (If there is that possibility)
Problem solved !

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Re: When playing shmups how times ok to continue before game over ? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#314235 - 09/08/13 03:43 AM

The fun in such video games is the challenge. You take that away when you continue the game indiscriminately. If it is a game you like you should start from the beginning every time. As you get better, you will enjoy the satisfaction that comes with achieving higher and higher goals with each play. The same goes for cheats; what fun is it to just make the game easier?

Like another poster mentioned, if you just want to check out the end of a particular game, feel free to stuff the game full of credits but if you care about the game, it will just ruin the experience for you. That's probably why fighting games became so successful and extended the life of arcades for a few more years. They managed to retain the aspect of the challenge by allowing you to play other people, while at the same time getting quarters from players at an alarming rate...

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#314240 - 09/08/13 06:47 AM

> I love playing shmups on mame but what I need not to do is just pressing 5 on the keyboard to just keep adding coins. When I do this it seems like it's less of a
> challenge to finish the game. When you play a shmup on a console the game will only allow you to continue so many times and then it's game over, which like this way. This leads me to my question how many times do you think in general should I insert mores coins to continue before I call it quits and force myself to start over from the beginning ? Most of the time when playing a shmup starting the game will give about between 3 to 5 ships. When they all die game is over prompting you to insert more coins. I was thinking I should finish the game on 3 or 4 more continues. meaning I think it would be fair to continue 3 to 4 more times before game over and starting over. What do you think ?

Play all 4 Gradiuses and you won't have to worry about credit feeding. (Hehe...)

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#314260 - 09/09/13 01:51 AM

The only way to beat one (unless it loops indefinitely) is on 1 credit.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tell that to someone trying to beat Pulstar

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#314465 - 09/13/13 08:02 PM

Kinda sorta depends on how continuing helps.

Some games restart the level or area.
Others just let you jump right back in where you left off.
Big difference.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1881