View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

iVoid
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/19/13
Send PM

Need help to confirm possible mame bug
#313643 - 08/30/13 06:16 PM

I've done a lot of testing already but I need more people to help me test and confirm this bug.

Here's what happens:
If I assign a button on a joypad (I've tested this with a lot of different joypads and it seems to happen with all of them), everything works fine, as long as I always have the joypad connected when I play the game on mame. However, if after assigning controls to a joypad, I enter the game without the joypad connected the joypad controls disappear, and that's fine, but if I quit the game and re-enter, all assigned controls that involved a button on a joypad are completely wiped out and everything goes back to its default.

You might ask "But why would you play a game without a joypad if you have configured the controls to play with a joypad?". Well, I usually set controls for both the joypad and the keyboard. For example: "Kbd E or Joy 1 Button 1", in this case the whole configuration of this button will be wiped out, not just the joypad part. And if after this I close mame, connect the joypad and enter the game again, the controls for the joypad are, of course, gone.

I think you can imagine that this is not convenient at all. Suppose I go through the trouble of configuring the controls on 4 joypads to play a 4-player game with my friends. If I ever feel like playing the game solo with a single joypad connected, all the configurations for player 2, 3 and 4 will be wiped out.

The way I expected mame to behave and I think would be the correct way, would be if it worked the same way mame does for the default controls. The mame default controls for button 1 on any game, for example, are "Kbd CTRL or Joy 1 Button 1" if you have any joypad connected and the joypad option is active, otherwise it simply shows as "Kbd CTRL". Why can't it be like this for controls I define myself?

I've tested this with the following mame builds, with pretty much the same results in all of them:

-Command-line MAME 32bit version 0.149
-Command-line MAME 64bit version 0.149
-MAMEUI 64bit version 0.149
-Command-line MAME Plus 64bit version 0.149 (this one has the courtesy of spewing out an error when I run the game for the second time and quit)
-Mameppk 0.119

I'm running windows 7 64bit, I also tested this on one of my laptops that has windows xp 32bit and the result was the same.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Need help to confirm possible mame bug new [Re: iVoid]
#313645 - 08/30/13 11:03 PM

i had exactly the same problem as you when i was setting up my current mame setup
i am using a playstation dualshock2 controller via 'psx to usb' adapter, but noticed after setting up the controller in mame, then later if i ran mame with the adapter unplugged, all my controller/buttons config disappeared (and didnt return if i ran mame again with the adapter plugged in again).
the only solution i came up with was to set up the controller (and keyboard etc) how i wanted, then quit mame, and then set the default.cfg file to read only.
then mame wont be able to touch the file again if you happen to run mame with your controller unplugged in the future

ps. i agree with what you say, it would be better if mame checked to see if the controller is active, and if it isnt, then simply dont display it in the config menu (rather than actually re-write config files)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#313655 - 08/31/13 03:09 AM

It's a bitch, but the only solution seems to be back up config files or make the read-only.

iVoid
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Need help to confirm possible mame bug new [Re: grog]
#313657 - 08/31/13 03:30 AM

I'm glad to see it isn't just me... I tried version 0.119 so that would place the origin of this bug somewhere in the cretaceous period, right? Seriously, this bug is ancient, how can we get the mame devs to finally notice it?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#313680 - 08/31/13 11:25 AM

> I'm glad to see it isn't just me... I tried version 0.119 so that would place the
> origin of this bug somewhere in the cretaceous period, right? Seriously, this bug is
> ancient, how can we get the mame devs to finally notice it?

For permanent mappings, use a ctrlr.ini file. Make one for each of your joysticks and gamepads. This way you'll never lose your mappings again.

See the docs and the FAQ for more information.

S

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Need help to confirm possible mame bug new [Re: Sune]
#313682 - 08/31/13 11:54 AM

> > I'm glad to see it isn't just me... I tried version 0.119 so that would place the
> > origin of this bug somewhere in the cretaceous period, right? Seriously, this bug
> is
> > ancient, how can we get the mame devs to finally notice it?
>
> For permanent mappings, use a ctrlr.ini file. Make one for each of your joysticks and
> gamepads. This way you'll never lose your mappings again.
>
> See the docs and the FAQ for more information.
>
> S

Some helpful links:
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Ctrlr_file
http://easyemu.mameworld.info/mameguide/mameguide-controlini.htm

But, by far the easiest is to map then adjust properties on the .cfg file after exiting MAME as was first suggested. This is not an explicit bug, not reportable, and MAME functions as it is designed. MAME is not configured to be handle hot-plugging of devices while it is running. MAME reanalyzes input devices every time as part of it's initialization process.

iVoid
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Need help to confirm possible mame bug new [Re: Tafoid]
#313708 - 08/31/13 10:34 PM

I think nobody here is talking about hot-plugging of devices while MAME is running. I'm talking about fresh starts of MAME. If MAME reanalyzes input devices every time as part of it's initialization process then it would make sense that the situation I described was better handled. Besides, MAME ALREADY handles the situation correctly when it comes to the default controls, but it doesn't do the same for controls the user defines himself, not very consistent is it?

EDIT: Now that I further think about it I guess it is possible that MAME doesn't actually handle the situation correctly for the default config and that is just a consequence of it being always reinitialized when mame starts up...
You're absolutely right that it might not actually be a bug, it depends on what the devs want MAME to be. So, does anybody know if a dev ever commented on this?

Edited by iVoid (08/31/13 10:51 PM)

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#313712 - 09/01/13 01:05 AM

there was chat about this problem over a year ago on mametesters, here:
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=4479

i would recommend using one of the already discussed workarounds to the issue

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1606