MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jen8
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/13
Send PM

Still... I feel new here,
#313617 - 08/30/13 04:21 AM

I have been lurking about, trying to navigate this site, and aparenty im just an idiot...But, heres the thing, Im interested in finding threads pertaining to dumping. Am I on the wrong fourm, or Am I just not finding anything on the subject?

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Still... I feel new here, new [Re: jen8]
#313621 - 08/30/13 04:42 AM

> I have been lurking about, trying to navigate this site, and aparenty im just an
> idiot...But, heres the thing, Im interested in finding threads pertaining to dumping.
> Am I on the wrong fourm, or Am I just not finding anything on the subject?

We can't post any dumps here. Not even a link to the dumps. You can find News about it in the News Submission.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

jen8
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Still... I feel new here, new [Re: Dullaron]
#313622 - 08/30/13 05:22 AM

No, not finding the Roms, I have piles of them [OEM], but threads on how to dump, equipment used,tricks,ect.
....EDIT, I found what I need, Thx for the interest.

Edited by jen8 (08/30/13 06:31 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#313624 - 08/30/13 06:35 AM

It's incredibly simple for most roms. If you post specific questions I can answer them but for 90% of them it's a matter of reading the manual for your programmer, general practice and having a recent romref and promref file to compare compatible chip types. If you don't have a programmer, nobody can really tell you which is best to get because nobody has bought and tested them all. It's not like an iPhone case where things are common and cheap and you can just buy them up and consumer report them. You'd be well over a grand just for the base of a lot of choices, before your first adapter.

It really depends on the range of stuff you want to dump if you want to talk about the single best programmer choice "for everything". I don't think there is even a single choice. At best you would end up with at least 2. Most ranges of chips will need at least 2 different programmers. Best bang for the buck I've found is a newish Wellon + used but perfectly working BP Micro from the 1200 or higher series. And even with that I can't do some socketed stuff like 2708 without an adapter.

jen8
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Still... I feel new here, new [Re: Smitdogg]
#313627 - 08/30/13 08:22 AM

Thats a interesting reply,yet it makes sence to me,the chips Im looking @ were fairly common, so just to get my feet wet [so to speak] a Arduino Mega board is what Im going to try first, then work my way up the ranks....While Im here on this fourm however this Mame thing looks kinda fun and my give this a try too.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#313642 - 08/30/13 06:13 PM

Even common (to arcade boards) chips can bring up problems with buying programmers if you are dead set on an all-in-one solution. bproms are on virtually every arcade board from the 1980s and aren't supported by some of the most popular programmers like willems (popular to people trying to save money) and Wellons (popular because they give the best bang for the buck and also support reasonably priced China-manufactured adapters). It's also nice to have 2 programmers from different brands because sometimes old chips will inexplicably read out correctly in 1 but not the other. You could get a new Wellon + 20 adapters and used BP Micro for far less than the cost of say a high end elnec and a handful of its pricey as hell adapters.

If you're looking for a programmer for something other than arcade board dumping then probably nobody here can help you much unless you are positive you will never need to dump anything other than the chips you have in mind. If you're sure the list will never expand I would just get the cheapest Wellon that has your chips in its support list.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 430 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1210