Pages: 1

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode
#312336 - 08/02/13 02:30 PM

This one if for recognized or self-proclaimed nVidia gurus out there, or anyone that can help:

Motivated by the recent MKK PC release and a few other reasons (like 64-bit MAME), I'm trying to migrate my cab to Windows 7. My video card is a GTS-250. One problem I'm facing is that I use a CRT TV 480i with component inputs.

In Windows XP with older nVidia drivers, I can set my desktop and applications to any resolution I want and the driver will make the video card scale everything to 480i for my TV, so I can clone my PC monitor without issues. This allows me a lot of flexibility and bypasses issues with applications that don't like 640x480, etc. Newer drivers don't allow for this flexibility and you have to essentially use span mode to have a different resolution in each monitor, or use 480i for both monitors.

Now, in Windows 7, the trick of using the old drivers doesn't work. No matter how many times I set the TV signal format to 480i in the nVidia control panel, it simple won't take. The image will come up all garbled because it's pumping to the TV, the full 1024x768p that I use on the PC monitor.

Does anybody have any insight on how I can force the driver to scale everything to 480i like I can with WinXP?

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#312350 - 08/02/13 08:42 PM

I'm not a guru for anything, I'll just share my experience about this matter:

Some time ago, with a Geforce 8800 GTS (it died, so I can't do tests anymore), I could make it work in Win Xp with any cable, including component. When I migrated to Win 7, it was only possible with the composite cable. I tried to get support in the official nvidia forums, but it never worked for me. I think it's funny to see people taking sides in debates about nvidia vs Radeon drivers, when in my point of view, both are shit. Some blame it on the new (not new anymore) Microsoft driver model... but it's unbelievable that they can't (or don't want to) make it work...

But component output is hardly the best option for a cabinet anyway... I've a 29 inch 15hz Wei-Ya arcade monitor (looks very good but scanlines are hardly visible in this particular monitor, there are others that are better), that was very cheap and a 30 inch VGA monitor (got it very cheap also). Funny that between both, I prefer the image from the 30 inch VGA monitor (using scanlines via artwork system, since I couldn't make the scanlines scale evenly through HLSL at 640x480)... Now I'm searching for a multisync arcade chassis to have the best of both worlds.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode new [Re: Ramirez]
#312353 - 08/02/13 10:14 PM

> since I couldn't make the scanlines scale evenly through HLSL at 640x480)...

Let me direct you to the thread currently the second one below this, "HLSL bug, aperture problem"

NUeda
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/13
Send PM

Re: Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode new [Re: Ramirez]
#312354 - 08/02/13 10:19 PM

Ramirez, I need to ask a question about your method sir.

You mentioned using artwork for scanlines,
does that mean you figured out how to make one .png artwork file work for multiple games,
or
are you making duplicates for every game you are playing?

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode new [Re: NUeda]
#312355 - 08/02/13 10:57 PM

> > since I couldn't make the scanlines scale evenly through HLSL at 640x480)...
>
> Let me direct you to the thread currently the second one below this, "HLSL bug,
> aperture problem"

Yeah, I saw the thread, so is it related? I would think that the aperture patern isn't related to the resolution, I'm don't know about scanlines. At higher resolutions the scanlines seems to works very well, but at 640x480 it's another story. I thought about making a report, but I was waiting for growing patience to carefully test it and make a concise report (but than again, I'm not sure I would be capable, since I'm far from being an expert).

> Sir I need to ask a question about your method,
>
> You mentioned using artwork for scanlines,
> does that mean you figured out how to make one .png artwork file work for multiple
> games,
> or
> are you making duplicates for every game you are playing?

Sorry to disappoint, but I made duplicates for the games I use to play.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#312364 - 08/03/13 02:11 PM

this might help http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13597379/this-app-cannot-open

but you'll need to make sure it knows the monitor can only do 480i, you should be able to do this by manually selecting the monitor type in device manager and using one of the standard tv monitor types.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Help with nVidia CP: different monitor resolutions in clone mode new [Re: ]
#312366 - 08/03/13 07:35 PM

> this might help http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13597379/this-app-cannot-open
>
> but you'll need to make sure it knows the monitor can only do 480i, you should be
> able to do this by manually selecting the monitor type in device manager and using
> one of the standard tv monitor types.

smf: you have given me new hope with this but how do I change the monitor type to a TV type?
In the device manager all I can see is right click on the device and select "properties" to get to the details tab but I can't change anything there.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#312389 - 08/04/13 01:48 PM

> > this might help http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13597379/this-app-cannot-open
> >
> > but you'll need to make sure it knows the monitor can only do 480i, you should be
> > able to do this by manually selecting the monitor type in device manager and using
> > one of the standard tv monitor types.
>
> smf: you have given me new hope with this but how do I change the monitor type to a
> TV type?
> In the device manager all I can see is right click on the device and select
> "properties" to get to the details tab but I can't change anything there.

driver->update driver->browse my computer for driver software->let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer->untick show compatible hardware->(standard monitor types).

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#312392 - 08/04/13 02:53 PM

> driver->update driver->browse my computer for driver software->let me pick from a
> list of device drivers on my computer->untick show compatible hardware->(standard
> monitor types).

OK. I'll give that a try today. However, I couldn't find that registry key anywhere:
Display1_DownScalingSupported
In fact I could not find any with the words "DownScaling" on it.

I'm wondering if this a Windows 8 thing.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#312402 - 08/04/13 10:30 PM

> I'm wondering if this a Windows 8 thing.

No, it might be a driver thing though. I've only ever needed to use downscaling on an netbook with intel graphics (both on windows 7 & 8 ) and it was only that some of the results from google suggested that it might also be used for other graphics chips that I suggested it. Of course the key might not exist and you may have to create it, but I can't help with the name and location of it if that is true (which I understand is not much help for you).

Getting the monitor type right might just work if you have it set to stretch mismatched resolutions to full screen, or it might use a virtual scrolling display or just have the top left of the display. At the very least it should stop it just displaying garbage and that might make it easier for you to find a solution.

Edited by smf (08/04/13 10:33 PM)

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#312433 - 08/05/13 02:31 PM

After changing the monitor type to "Generic TV" I did not see any difference in the video output. I was hoping it would limit the type of signal sent to the TV but it didn't work. I also tried to revert to the old nVidia drivers that allow you to specify the TV signal type but it didn't help either.

I'll see if I can figure out if there are any keys in my driver that might help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#312466 - 08/06/13 09:14 AM

> After changing the monitor type to "Generic TV" I did not see any difference in the
> video output. I was hoping it would limit the type of signal sent to the TV but it
> didn't work.

That was what I was hoping too. You could try some of the other generic monitor types, i.e. there is probably a 640x480 one in there.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#312471 - 08/06/13 02:21 PM

> > After changing the monitor type to "Generic TV" I did not see any difference in the
> > video output. I was hoping it would limit the type of signal sent to the TV but it
> > didn't work.
>
> That was what I was hoping too. You could try some of the other generic monitor
> types, i.e. there is probably a 640x480 one in there.

I think I tried the VGA 640x480 type too and the result was similar. I'm guessing that would output 480p anyway, but I'll keep playing with it a little more.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2169