#311576 - 07/17/13 03:22 AM

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: italie]
#311612 - 07/18/13 01:25 AM

We all (should) know what strip Bill Watterson is famous for. So what frame does this video preview? Frazz. As in, not C&H.

Fun strip though- still read the classic strips on gocomics. Yes, I also read Frazz.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: Qun Mang]
#311614 - 07/18/13 05:41 AM

> We all (should) know what strip Bill Watterson is famous for. So what frame does this
> video preview? Frazz. As in, not C&H.

I've always wondered if YouTube has a special algorithm that picks the least representative frame of every video as the preview image.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: Qun Mang]
#311618 - 07/18/13 10:34 AM

> We all (should) know what strip Bill Watterson is famous for. So what frame does this
> video preview? Frazz. As in, not C&H.
>
> Fun strip though- still read the classic strips on gocomics. Yes, I also read Frazz.

The video talks about influence, I'm sure the reason it shows Frazz is because the cartoonist is interviewed and claims influence by Watterson.

> I've always wondered if YouTube has a special algorithm that picks the least
> representative frame of every video as the preview image.

If this trailer were hosted on YouTube, you may have a point...

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: DMala]
#311620 - 07/18/13 02:03 PM

If you have a normal default account you get to choose from 3 somewhat random frames for your thumbnail. In my experience, most of the time 1 of them will be decent. The uploader might have missed the option somehow. The only way I've found where you can upload a custom thumbnail is if you agree to the partnership/monetize option where ads show up. Which is, of course, retarded.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: Stiletto]
#311622 - 07/18/13 03:42 PM

> If this trailer were hosted on YouTube, you may have a point...

Ha! Good point...

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: Smitdogg]
#311625 - 07/18/13 06:56 PM

> If you have a normal default account you get to choose from 3 somewhat random frames
> for your thumbnail. In my experience, most of the time 1 of them will be decent. The
> uploader might have missed the option somehow. The only way I've found where you can
> upload a custom thumbnail is if you agree to the partnership/monetize option where
> ads show up. Which is, of course, retarded.

Yeah. They always use pics of boobs cleavage, but there won't be any boobs cleavage in the video.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (07/19/13 07:32 AM)

LEVEL-4

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#311626 - 07/18/13 08:43 PM

> If you have a normal default account you get to choose from 3 somewhat random frames
> for your thumbnail. In my experience, most of the time 1 of them will be decent. The
> uploader might have missed the option somehow. The only way I've found where you can
> upload a custom thumbnail is if you agree to the partnership/monetize option where
> ads show up. Which is, of course, retarded.

Which is retarded? Agreeing, or requiring said agreement?

Some people earn enough from that monetization to quit their jobs.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Thank me later new [Re: TriggerFin]
#311627 - 07/18/13 08:54 PM

Requiring the agreement in order to use custom (a.k.a. decent) thumbnails is retarded. People making a living off their videos have got to be like 1 in a billion according to what I've heard the pay is. For the average user, even with hundreds of subscribers, you'd earn about a 6 pack of beer per year for having your videos be annoying as a motherfucker. For anyone actually earning a living off them, I'm really curious how many millions of views they get per month.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#311631 - 07/18/13 10:07 PM

> For anyone actually earning a living off them, I'm really
> curious how many millions of views they get per month.

Some people get lucky, beyond having developed the ability to be entertaining for extended periods of time.

To live modestly, probably a bit over a million monthly, looking at some of the channels I'm subscribed to. They do need to maintain that level though, and actually treat it like a job, eight hours or more every day on production and editing.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#311633 - 07/18/13 10:21 PM

From what I've read, the base pay (before factoring in some options which raise it somewhat) for a million hits is a whopping $100. So either I was told wrong or there's no way people are living off it.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#311637 - 07/19/13 01:37 AM

> Requiring the agreement in order to use custom (a.k.a. decent) thumbnails is
> retarded. People making a living off their videos have got to be like 1 in a billion
> according to what I've heard the pay is. For the average user, even with hundreds of
> subscribers, you'd earn about a 6 pack of beer per year for having your videos be
> annoying as a motherfucker. For anyone actually earning a living off them, I'm really
> curious how many millions of views they get per month.

You should be able to choose from any frame in the video- it is not really a "custom" thumbnail as long as it exists in the video. Frazz was shown for maybe two seconds while the main topic, Watterson's strip, had plenty of screen time.

Dunno if Youtube has an algorithm for least representative thumbnail, but this site apparently does. Yep, I am leaping to this conclusion based on one video.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#311638 - 07/19/13 02:06 AM

> From what I've read, the base pay (before factoring in some options which raise it
> somewhat) for a million hits is a whopping $100. So either I was told wrong or
> there's no way people are living off it.

Well, http://www.youtube.com/user/kurtjmac quit his job doing web design or whatever it was, with 31 million views over the past two years, and he's not living off the proceeds from his spreadshirt.com store, which nets less than YouTube itself.

http://www.youtube.com/bdoubleo doesn't live off YouTube exclusively, having a wife who works, but he gave up his construction contracting to sit home and talk about the games he's playing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuudeBoulderfist was doing web dev stuff, but retired from that, dropping clients as he could. He's also got a wife who works, and a child, plus he's been signed with outside networks in the past, though he found them not worth the effort.

Now I look like an infomercial. But these three actually talk about these things, and they looked at the money they were making, compared to their "real" jobs, and decided to concentrate on the videos.

Not that they say how much they actually earn. Contracts prevent that, probably with rather harsh penalties.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#311639 - 07/19/13 02:10 AM

If they have contracts then they aren't just using the normal monetize/ad feature so I don't know what we are even talking about.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 366 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1688