View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Elapido
Lurker
Reged: 04/10/04
Send PM

Games with emulated long loading times
#311170 - 07/07/13 10:33 AM

I'd like to know what games or drivers have long loading times, such as taitogn (Ray Crisis, Psyvariar, Chaos Heat, XIIStag...) or seibuspi (Raiden Fighters, etc.).

I'm keeping the nvram files of these games in order to avoid the wait, which only happens the first time you load them.

Is there a way to config or modify the MAME source so as to skip the loading emulation?

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Games with emulated long loading times new [Re: Elapido]
#311171 - 07/07/13 10:44 AM

> Is there a way to config or modify the MAME source so as to skip the loading
> emulation?

no. like in a real cabinet, the first time you turn it on, the data has to be copied to non-volatile RAM for later usage.
cps3 cd games are in the same category.

MASH
MASH
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Germany
Send PM

Save states new [Re: Elapido]
#311174 - 07/07/13 12:33 PM

> I'd like to know what games or drivers have long loading times, such as taitogn (Ray
> Crisis, Psyvariar, Chaos Heat, XIIStag...) or seibuspi (Raiden Fighters, etc.).
>
> I'm keeping the nvram files of these games in order to avoid the wait, which only
> happens the first time you load them.
>
> emulation?

Use save state in MAME (Shift+F7 Create a save state; F7 Load a save state).
Later, if you have a save state for Raiden Fighters for example, you don't need the NVRAM for it!

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Save states new [Re: MASH]
#311175 - 07/07/13 12:53 PM

Never mind.

Edited by CTOJAH (07/07/13 01:18 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#311176 - 07/07/13 01:24 PM

> I'm keeping the nvram files of these games in order to avoid the wait, which only
> happens the first time you load them.
>
> emulation?

No, but if you keep the nvram files you normally only have to do the loading once.

And it's perfectly OK to use the fast-forward key while it's "loading" to speed that up.

Elapido
Lurker
Reged: 04/10/04
Send PM

Re: Games with emulated long loading times new [Re: etabeta]
#311179 - 07/07/13 02:09 PM

I know. For CPS3 I use the NO-CD sets.

I think I'll keep the nvrams, since I don't like using savestates.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

are you sure? new [Re: MASH]
#311181 - 07/07/13 03:05 PM

I don't remember about seibuspi, but I don't think save states work reliably with psx-based hardware

not to mention that save states are prone to future incompatibilities as soon as one of the components (and hence its saved items) gets modified, while current NVRAM will probably work for much longer...

> > I'd like to know what games or drivers have long loading times, such as taitogn
> (Ray
> > Crisis, Psyvariar, Chaos Heat, XIIStag...) or seibuspi (Raiden Fighters, etc.).
> >
> > I'm keeping the nvram files of these games in order to avoid the wait, which only
> > happens the first time you load them.
> >
> > Is there a way to config or modify the MAME source so as to skip the loading
> > emulation?
>
> Use save state in MAME (Shift+F7 Create a save state; F7 Load a save state).
> Later, if you have a save state for Raiden Fighters for example, you don't need the
> NVRAM for it!

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#311197 - 07/07/13 06:22 PM

I just gotta say. You like to constantly post a lot of strange requests, asking for features, or lists to be added. It's kinda funny, cause every time I read an odd request, I can always tell who posted it

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#311198 - 07/07/13 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure the no cd sets are supposed to behave just like the cd ones when they first boot. The only difference is they don't check for a cd to be present after a game is installed, which is how all the games on the system should have been. They weren't made to never be able to swap games and are still initially installed from a cd.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Games with emulated long loading times new [Re: Smitdogg]
#311248 - 07/08/13 08:55 PM

> I'm pretty sure the no cd sets are supposed to behave just like the cd ones when they
> first boot. The only difference is they don't check for a cd to be present after a
> game is installed, which is how all the games on the system should have been. They
> weren't made to never be able to swap games and are still initially installed from a
> cd.

I thought they were sold as boards without cd drives.

I know some konami system 573 games are supposed to have gone out like that, even though the install cd has turned up because they were also sold as upgrades.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Games with emulated long loading times new [Re: ]
#311249 - 07/08/13 09:01 PM

It's possible they were sold that way but the games were still installed from the cds (by Capcom in that case). It's also possible they were also sold by Capcom just as a disc and cart too though. I don't know.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Games with emulated long loading times new [Re: Smitdogg]
#311251 - 07/08/13 09:07 PM

> It's possible they were sold that way but the games were still installed from the cds
> (by Capcom in that case). It's also possible they were also sold by Capcom just as a
> disc and cart too though. I don't know.

Haze says they were definitely sold in certain regions in no-CD form, probably either to boost reliability or curb piracy or both. Location test protos also were generally sent out as no-CD.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2022