Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Had an italie sort of day today...
#311079 - 07/04/13 07:12 AM

So I have (had) pigeons and other birds that I thought were roosting in vents and the soffits in the front of my house. After procrastinating for a long while, I finally had exterminators come out last week to deal with it. They got rid of birds and nests and buttoned everything up. That night, I can still hear movement in my walls and ceilings. The guys came back the next day, re-checked all of their work and can't find anything. Finally, they ask if they can take a look in the crawlspace above my condo. It turns out the birds were getting right inside the crawlspace, and the whole thing has basically been a pigeon coop for years. 10 or so birds stuck inside, nests, eggs, chicks, and about 3 inches of pigeon shit covering everything. They install one-way pipes to get the remaining birds out and they come back today to pull on hazmat suits and go up there to scrape up all of the mess.

So the guys show up and start setting up. One of them slips while he's up there and punches out a two foot section of my bathroom ceiling. They cleaned up the mess and taped up the hole, but in the meantime I've got plaster and pigeon shit raining down on my toothbrush and everything else in the bathroom. After about four hours, the guys come down and tell me they have to quit because it's now too hot in the attic to function, and they're only about 1/3 done with the job. My hope had been to wash my hands of this mess today, and now it looks like it'll be one or probably two more sessions, plus a plaster guy coming to fix the ceiling.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to work from home through all of this, and the babies (13 mos.) are just fit to be tied all day. I finish up work while my wife gives them dinner, then we all pile in the car to get ice cream and just get out of the house for a while. That goes OK, but when we get home, my wife suddenly realizes that nobody's seen the cat in hours and his dinner is untouched, which means he's either missing or dead. We start searching the house and find nothing. Our best guess at that point is that the cat snuck out while the exterminators were coming in and out. My wife starts freaking out, the babies start shrieking because it's now past their bedtime, and I'm yelling at everyone to calm down and shut up. Finally, I convince my wife to put the kids to bed, while I hit the streets and try to find him. I crisscross back and forth all over the neighborhood and turn up nothing. In the meantime, my wife's called her brother over to help search and she's blowing up the local Twittersphere. I come in to get a flashlight and continue the search now that it's dark. On a hunch, I make one more pass through the basement with the flashlight (I'd already been through there twice). Sure enough, there he is huddled behind the downstairs apartment's air handler, staring at me with big saucer eyes.

So in the end, everyone is safe and everything mostly worked out, but holy crap am I exhausted.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

~sniff~ It's like home ~sniff~ <nt> new [Re: DMala]
#311090 - 07/04/13 03:49 PM

> So I have (had) pigeons and other birds that I thought were roosting in vents and the
> soffits in the front of my house. After procrastinating for a long while, I finally
> had exterminators come out last week to deal with it. They got rid of birds and nests
> and buttoned everything up. That night, I can still hear movement in my walls and
> ceilings. The guys came back the next day, re-checked all of their work and can't
> find anything. Finally, they ask if they can take a look in the crawlspace above my
> condo. It turns out the birds were getting right inside the crawlspace, and the whole
> thing has basically been a pigeon coop for years. 10 or so birds stuck inside, nests,
> eggs, chicks, and about 3 inches of pigeon shit covering everything. They install
> one-way pipes to get the remaining birds out and they come back today to pull on
> hazmat suits and go up there to scrape up all of the mess.
>
> So the guys show up and start setting up. One of them slips while he's up there and
> punches out a two foot section of my bathroom ceiling. They cleaned up the mess and
> taped up the hole, but in the meantime I've got plaster and pigeon shit raining down
> on my toothbrush and everything else in the bathroom. After about four hours, the
> guys come down and tell me they have to quit because it's now too hot in the attic to
> function, and they're only about 1/3 done with the job. My hope had been to wash my
> hands of this mess today, and now it looks like it'll be one or probably two more
> sessions, plus a plaster guy coming to fix the ceiling.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm trying to work from home through all of this, and the babies (13 mos.)
> are just fit to be tied all day. I finish up work while my wife gives them dinner,
> then we all pile in the car to get ice cream and just get out of the house for a
> while. That goes OK, but when we get home, my wife suddenly realizes that nobody's
> seen the cat in hours and his dinner is untouched, which means he's either missing or
> dead. We start searching the house and find nothing. Our best guess at that point is
> that the cat snuck out while the exterminators were coming in and out. My wife starts
> freaking out, the babies start shrieking because it's now past their bedtime, and I'm
> yelling at everyone to calm down and shut up. Finally, I convince my wife to put the
> kids to bed, while I hit the streets and try to find him. I crisscross back and forth
> all over the neighborhood and turn up nothing. In the meantime, my wife's called her
> brother over to help search and she's blowing up the local Twittersphere. I come in
> to get a flashlight and continue the search now that it's dark. On a hunch, I make
> one more pass through the basement with the flashlight (I'd already been through
> there twice). Sure enough, there he is huddled behind the downstairs apartment's air
> handler, staring at me with big saucer eyes.
>
> So in the end, everyone is safe and everything mostly worked out, but holy crap am I
> exhausted.

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

alternate Italie event new [Re: DMala]
#311095 - 07/04/13 07:35 PM

Got stung in the eye by yellow jackets while staining the deck the other day, then stung twice in the hand by bees a few minutes later. How many nests are under that fucking deck?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: alternate Italie event new [Re: Darth Mario]
#311096 - 07/04/13 09:43 PM

> Got stung in the eye by yellow jackets while staining the deck the other day, then
> stung twice in the hand by bees a few minutes later. How many nests are under that
> fucking deck?

Speaking from past experience...lots.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Had an italie sort of day today... new [Re: DMala]
#311499 - 07/14/13 10:50 AM

The wicking flower bed I finished building a few days ago had a leak in it. So I get home Saturday morning and set out to fix the problem. The first thing I do when I get out there to it...? I trip over the chicken wire fence I had around it and fall hitting my left knee on the side of the bed getting a nasty abrasion. It hurt... A lot! Being determined to finish what I set out to do I kept on working despite the pain.

The black plastic I had placed inside got punctured from the gravel. I should have placed some carpeting underneath it... And having some thicker plastic would've helped a lot too.

I got everything out... The tomatoes and pepper plants, and a couple other things I planted, then the potting/garden soil I put in, then the landscape fabric, and finally the gravel. This is a 4'x 8' x (about 11" high) sized raised/wicking garden bed.

I brought home some carpet I got from work, put it in the bottom (over some hardware cloth), then put in a 8' x 10' tarp (instead of fragile black plastic ) on top of the carpeting.

I work up until 12:30 PM figuring I should really stop and get to sleep or I'll be in so much pain that I won't be able to get enough sleep -since I did have to get back to work later that night. It wasn't until about 5 or 6 that evening before I could get to sleep, as well as waking up a few times if I had to move around, grunting in pain.

I took some medication my dad had (left over) from when he had broken his ribs earlier this year. As of making this post - the pain isn't as bad as it was... But man do I feel miserable. And my knee is still pretty well swollen.

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Still topping you suckers...daily new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#311500 - 07/14/13 11:26 AM

Wednesday - Friday

Dog mysteriously hyper extends BOTH front carpal ligaments, tearing them up bad. $500 in vet bills, only to be left with 3 options:

- $6000 fusion surgery
- Put him down
- Carry him around for the next 3 months and see if he heals (25% chance at best)

I've been carrying him to and from food, holding him outside in a sling to pee, and generally wrenching my back for my 65 lb little buddy

&

Daughter breaks her face on the parents trampoline. More dental work...YAY!

Saturday

Used a welder, an angle grinder, a saw, a blowtorch, screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, rode a skateboard and a motorcycle.

How did I end up putting a stitches-worthy hole in my head?

Putting on my shoes....

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Sunday... new [Re: italie]
#311502 - 07/14/13 04:56 PM

Woken up with the sound of "DAAADD, COME SEE WHAT WE DID!!!!!"

Apparently, my 4 year old daughter took it upon herself to potty train my [just turned] 2 year old son this morning.

I'm so proud of their teamwork and initiative, and the fact that he actually "went" "on the potty".

I was also put into a state of shock and terror as to how far away piss can fly from a mis-aligned 2 year old...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Sunday... new [Re: italie]
#311508 - 07/14/13 11:35 PM

> Woken up with the sound of "DAAADD, COME SEE WHAT WE DID!!!!!"
>
> Apparently, my 4 year old daughter took it upon herself to potty train my [just
> turned] 2 year old son this morning.
>
> I'm so proud of their teamwork and initiative, and the fact that he actually "went"
> "on the potty".
>
> I was also put into a state of shock and terror as to how far away piss can fly from
> a mis-aligned 2 year old...

lol, reminds me of the time my (at-the-time) four year old tried to help out and change the baby's nappy. He realised he wasn't up to the challenge and came running for help pretty quickly.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Had an italie sort of day today... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#311510 - 07/15/13 01:49 AM

"and a couple other things I planted,"

Uh huh, just like we thought...

=

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Monday... new [Re: italie]
#311518 - 07/15/13 11:39 AM

Due to the blow to the head suffered Saturday, I've been having horrible headaches and insomnia. Most certainly concussed. Tonight I was on the couch watching TV at 2AM, and had finally dozed off. I'm awoken to the sound of my dog (the injured one) whimpering. I figure he finally has to go outside and do business, something he hasn't been able to do for days.

I pick him up, head to the back door, and just as I hit the stairs to the back door he lets it loose. Three days worth of piss have finally pushed his bladder to the edge. There I am, holding a 65 lb dog, who is pissing all over my back door. Can't put him down or I'm getting soaked. Don't want to touch the the back door to open it, cause it's soaked, and moving with him to the door would soak the walls. I'd also be walking in a river of piss without shoes. Horrible smelling piss that has been in him for days. I figure he'll stop soon, and I can make a break for the front door. Nope. 3-5 minutes of pissing later my back door, the stairwell, and the floor are soaked in foul smelling dog piss.

So here I am 2 hours later. Wide awake on 15 minutes sleep, with a horrible headache and a foul smell burned into my nose. Just spent the last few hours scrubbing and disinfecting. Gotta be up for work in 1.3 hours.

I'm not saying I have the worst life in the world by any means, but damn do I get put in the strangest situations.

//Two piss related mishaps in 24 hour span. Ewww.....

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Monday... new [Re: italie]
#311520 - 07/15/13 03:16 PM

> Due to the blow to the head suffered Saturday, I've been having horrible headaches
> and insomnia. Most certainly concussed. Tonight I was on the couch watching TV at
> 2AM, and had finally dozed off. I'm awoken to the sound of my dog (the injured one)
> whimpering. I figure he finally has to go outside and do business, something he
> hasn't been able to do for days.
>
> I pick him up, head to the back door, and just as I hit the stairs to the back door
> he lets it loose. Three days worth of piss have finally pushed his bladder to the
> edge. There I am, holding a 65 lb dog, who is pissing all over my back door. Can't
> put him down or I'm getting soaked. Don't want to touch the the back door to open it,
> cause it's soaked, and moving with him to the door would soak the walls. I'd also be
> walking in a river of piss without shoes. Horrible smelling piss that has been in him
> for days. I figure he'll stop soon, and I can make a break for the front door. Nope.
> 3-5 minutes of pissing later my back door, the stairwell, and the floor are soaked in
> foul smelling dog piss.
>
> So here I am 2 hours later. Wide awake on 15 minutes sleep, with a horrible headache
> and a foul smell burned into my nose. Just spent the last few hours scrubbing and
> disinfecting. Gotta be up for work in 1.3 hours.
>
> I'm not saying I have the worst life in the world by any means, but damn do I get put
> in the strangest situations.
>
> //Two piss related mishaps in 24 hour span. Ewww.....

I can't touch that, you are definitely the Master of Disaster. Might want to get that head looked at though. I've cracked my head pretty good more than once, but I can't say I've ever had symptoms of a concussion.

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

Re: Still topping you suckers...daily new [Re: italie]
#311521 - 07/15/13 04:42 PM

> How did I end up putting a stitches-worthy hole in my head?
>
> Putting on my shoes....

This wasn't in the THUD doorway, was it?

If your shoes are that hard to put on, maybe you need bigger shoes. Or at least a place to sit down while putting on your shoes.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1220