MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you!
#310689 - 06/23/13 06:51 AM

We gonna bring a case of wine hey let's go mess and fool around you know like we USED to!

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310691 - 06/23/13 07:28 AM

Can anyone explain to me why the Strolling Bones are still so popular?

Seriously, I can count their good songs on one hand! Two hands if I count the songs that are just so-so.

There is no law in the arena

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#310692 - 06/23/13 07:32 AM

Are they really popular with the young crowd today? I had no idea if so. I don't think they've had a good new song since the 70s but their early stuff (60s-70s) is awesome.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310693 - 06/23/13 07:38 AM

By popular I meant still able to tour world wide and pull in the crowds.

I just don't get it.

Never did.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#310694 - 06/23/13 07:51 AM

Well they are definitely too old to be "rock stars" in 2013 if that is what you mean. If you mean in the 60s-70s though when they were writing good shit, different story. But anyway, no matter how good a band is there will always be people who hate them during and after their prime or worse. I met a guy once who hated Led Zeppelin. Probably 99% of the US has never heard of Pulp. Probably 90% doesn't understand the irony of my current avatar.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

#310695 - 06/23/13 07:55 AM

LOL, I don't care for Zeppelin myself!

People always thought that strange of me as I did them.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#310697 - 06/23/13 02:31 PM

> By popular I meant still able to tour world wide and pull in the crowds.
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> Never did.

I'm not typing anything because my keyboard is turned off.

Old people like old people music, which is played by old people bands. There are more old people than ever now, because the death panels haven't enough power to institute mandatory euthanasia yet.

Those old people have adult children who, with any luck, were raised with an appreciation of old people music, which has had most of the dreck filtered from it, making it vastly superior to young people music as it currently exists.

The Stones do have a handful of high-value works, as you said, and any concert may well be their last, a further enhancement to the value of the performance.

No, I wouldn't pay to see them, either.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#310699 - 06/23/13 04:08 PM

> LOL, I don't care for Zeppelin myself!
>
> People always thought that strange of me as I did them.

1. Zeppelin, albeit riff thieves, performed each work like it was a goddamned symphony. The way they put a song together, combined with the talent in the band, produced a result that was nothing short of amazing.

2. The Stones are popular for two reasons:

- They tour like bosses. Excellent shows, even at ~70.
- The music is lowest common denominator rock. Basic stuff that can appeal to a wide
audience. It isn't groundbreaking, but you'll hum along or move your
feet every time.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

I can count their great albums on one or two hands... new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#310700 - 06/23/13 04:26 PM

> Can anyone explain to me why the Strolling Bones are still so popular?
>
> Seriously, I can count their good songs on one hand! Two hands if I count the songs
> that are just so-so.

Exile on Main St
Sticky Fingers
Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Some Girls
Aftermath
Between the Buttons

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: italie]
#310701 - 06/23/13 04:31 PM

> 1. Zeppelin, albeit riff thieves, performed each work like it was a goddamned
> symphony. The way they put a song together, combined with the talent in the band,
> produced a result that was nothing short of amazing.

Jimmy Page was an excellent producer, he understood how to put those songs together, get 'em down with various overdubs, etc, yet still sound like a live band... not to mention the musicianship of JPJ, the high pitched yet dead-on squeal of Plant, and Bonzo's thunderous explosions...

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Send PM

Ain't I rough enuff, Ain't I tough enuff, Ain't I rich enuff new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310702 - 06/23/13 04:33 PM

No, I'm not.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Sure, I'll hum along... new [Re: italie]
#310703 - 06/23/13 05:17 PM

... to drown out the sound of Mick Jagger. I could never stand the guys voice. Great performer, but can't sing to save his life. I swear if he didn't have anything to do with starting the band, he'd be a nobody.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: italie]
#310730 - 06/24/13 06:57 AM

> 2. The Stones are popular for two reasons:
>
> - They tour like bosses. Excellent shows, even at ~70.

Saw them twice, in '03 and '05. Amazing shows. Probably the coolest thing I've ever experienced at a rock show was in '03. They came down to a little stage in the center of the crowd to do a "club set". We happened to have seats not far from the little stage, and we were able to work our way pretty much right up to the barrier. Mick and Keith were literally less than 20 feet away. I don't generally get overly star struck, but that was mind blowing.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Send PM

Re: We gonna come around at twelve with some Puerto Rican girls thats just DIE-IN to meet you! new [Re: DMala]
#310738 - 06/24/13 09:59 AM

> > 2. The Stones are popular for two reasons:
> >
> > - They tour like bosses. Excellent shows, even at ~70.
>
> Saw them twice, in '03 and '05. Amazing shows. Probably the coolest thing I've ever
> experienced at a rock show was in '03. They came down to a little stage in the center
> of the crowd to do a "club set". We happened to have seats not far from the little
> stage, and we were able to work our way pretty much right up to the barrier. Mick and
> Keith were literally less than 20 feet away. I don't generally get overly star
> struck, but that was mind blowing.

I've only seen them once. I saw them at Gillette Stadium when Kanye opened for them, and they had the stage move from where it was down to the middle of the field while they were playing for a set like that... It was a good show.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1420