MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Dumb Neo-Geo (MAME) source question.
#309212 - 05/23/13 04:36 PM

Remember how in earlier builds of MAME, NeoGeo used to have a 320x244 resolution, but it was changed to 304x244 since that was supposed to be the only visible area anyway? (The extra 16 pixels being filled with garbage that would be unseen due to monitor overscan.)

Is there a way to reenable these 16 pixels in the current version of MAME by hacking the source? I want to double check something related to those 16 pixels and the debug bios - apparently some games have a CPU usage meter that displays in the outer edges of the screen, but it isn't showing up in MAME, so I'm guessing that it's supposed to be in the overscan area that's cropped out.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Dumb Neo-Geo (MAME) source question. new [Re: Foxhack]
#309221 - 05/23/13 04:58 PM

I believe every thing is being shown, but you are able to hide the edges through the artwork system.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Dumb Neo-Geo (MAME) source question. new [Re: Ramirez]
#309227 - 05/23/13 05:52 PM

> I believe every thing is being shown, but you are able to hide the edges through the
> artwork system.

I don't use the artwork system since it slows down MAME on my rustbucket of a PC, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#309231 - 05/23/13 06:18 PM

> Remember how in earlier builds of MAME, NeoGeo used to have a 320x244 resolution, but
> it was changed to 304x244 since that was supposed to be the only visible area anyway?
> (The extra 16 pixels being filled with garbage that would be unseen due to monitor
> overscan.)
>
> Is there a way to reenable these 16 pixels in the current version of MAME by hacking
> the source? I want to double check something related to those 16 pixels and the debug
> bios - apparently some games have a CPU usage meter that displays in the outer edges
> of the screen, but it isn't showing up in MAME, so I'm guessing that it's supposed to
> be in the overscan area that's cropped out.
>
> Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

I think you might have it reversed. The original neogeo driver implementation had games "forced" to only show 304x but stretch it to 320x. This caused reports of bad letter graphics and other anomalies with graphics due to the unnatural stretching of the 304x display.

0.116 or so brought the neogeo rewrite which is largely unchanged to this day where you are given all 320x as present in the original emulation, crappy lines and overscan included. You can live with the lines or use a "Video Option" in TAB menu to choose the layout option available to all neogeo games "Screen 0 Cropped (304x224)" which should mirror the old behavior and get rid of those parts normally off screen.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#309242 - 05/23/13 08:13 PM

> > I believe every thing is being shown, but you are able to hide the edges through
> the
> > artwork system.
>
> I don't use the artwork system since it slows down MAME on my rustbucket of a PC, so
> I'm pretty sure it's not that.

press TAB, go to Video Options and select the one you need

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1656