MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Which gamepads work for this specific supergun?
#309163 - 05/23/13 02:18 AM

The following supergun says to have standard NeoGeo controller ports:
www.ebay.com/itm/SuperGun-Arcade-JAMMA-PCB-Neo-Geo-PGM-Atomiswave-Capcom-Konami-Sega-/260930363695

So, I'd like to know: If you connect a game with a kick harness to it to use all six buttons of the controller, which controllers actually work with it? Except for custom-made controllers and those huge aracde joysticks that cost over $ 100, which controllers work with that supergun?

Originally, I thought this is the correct controller for my purpose:
www.play3.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/snk-neo-geo-controller.jpeg

Until I noticed that it's actually a PlayStation controller.

So, it seems like this is the standard NeoGeo controller:
http://images.wikia.com/egamia/images/a/a4/NeogeoCDcontroller.jpg

But this is not really a six button controller, is it? O.k., technically, it is. But I don't feel like playing "Street Fighter II" with the Start and Select button.
Would they even be mapped correctly? According to their position on the pad, to match the button layout of a "Street Fighter II" arcade machine, Select would have to be light punch and Start would have to be light kick. (C would have to be medium punch, D hard punch, A medium kick and B hard kick.) But I doubt that this is the case here.

So, which gamepads with at least six buttons are out there that can be used with those ports?

Another question:
Which six button gamepads that have another port could be converted to be made compatible with the NeoGeo port?
For example, I heard that Super Nintendo controllers wouldn't be that easy to be converted since each button needs to be on one wire (or something like that) which isn't the case with most gamepads.
So, which gamepads have the "potential" to be converted like this?

Again, I'm not talking about those huge arcade sticks. I'm talking about actually affordable gamepads that you can take in your hand when playing.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Which gamepads work for this specific supergun? new [Re: DaRayu]
#309182 - 05/23/13 05:43 AM

> The following supergun says to have standard NeoGeo controller ports:
> www.ebay.com/itm/SuperGun-Arcade-JAMMA-PCB-Neo-Geo-PGM-Atomiswave-Capcom-Konami-Sega-/260930363695
>
> So, I'd like to know: If you connect a game with a kick harness to it to use all six
> buttons of the controller, which controllers actually work with it? Except for
> custom-made controllers and those huge aracde joysticks that cost over $ 100, which
> controllers work with that supergun?

You're still not getting it. Nothing plugged into those controller ports will give you the kick buttons. The kick buttons are wired separately to a different place on the pcb. There is no room for them on the Jamma connector.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which gamepads work for this specific supergun? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#309189 - 05/23/13 09:01 AM

> You're still not getting it. Nothing plugged into those controller ports will give
> you the kick buttons.

Yes, I do get it. I never said that I want to connect the kick harness to the controller port. My words were:
"If you connect a game with a kick harness to it"
This doesn't mean that I want to connect a kick harness to the joystick port. I was talking about a "game with a kick harness" (i.e. an arcade board that has a kick harness on it and is therefore able to receive the input of six buttons) that I want to "connect to a supergun". Nowhere did I ever mention that I imagine the kick harness to be a device that you plug between joystick port and joystick.

But, o.k., let's keep the questions very basic. Let's forget the superguns and let's simply ask:
Which gamepads that have at least six buttons are compatible with the NeoGeo port?
Which gamepads that have at least six buttons and are not compatible with the NeoGeo port could be edited and be equipped with a NeoGeo port?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#309194 - 05/23/13 09:53 AM

Not possible. Via http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:neo_geo_controller you can see the pinout for the NeoGeo controller port. It's limited to four buttons.

Going six on a supergun basically requires you to use a different pinout, so custom non-console controller design along with custom kick harness wiring

For instance, you buy one standard kick harness for CPS1 and one for CPS2/3, then wire the end that normally goes to your extra buttons up to an adaptor you'd wire up to your controller port so you could pull the harness out and swap it depending on the style of game.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which gamepads work for this specific supergun? new [Re: Firehawke]
#309225 - 05/23/13 05:43 PM

> Not possible. Via http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:neo_geo_controller you
> can see the pinout for the NeoGeo controller port. It's limited to four buttons.

Huh?
A, B, C, D, Start, Select.
Makes six. Or why are Start and Select not counted?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#309243 - 05/23/13 08:22 PM

Select would map to coin-up and start maps to the obvious.

---

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#309246 - 05/23/13 08:52 PM

> Select would map to coin-up and start maps to the obvious.

Does this have to be the case? Because, for example, this supergun:
www.ebay.com/itm/SuperGun-Arcade-JAMMA-PCB-Neo-Geo-PGM-Atomiswave-Capcom-Konami-Sega-/260930363695
has the red button to be coin insert:

"Coin-In/Credit Buttons (The buttons above the controller ports replace the coin/quarter slots of an arcade cabinet!)"

I don't know how they handle Start, but I assume this could be equally externalized, so Start and Select on the gamepad could be used as actual buttons?

Also, it says:

"Neo Geo Controller Ports (You can use ANY Neo Geo AES/CD controller with this unit. The supergun is capable of handling a 6-Button joystick in order to accommodate games like the Street Fighter series, but an extra loom is necessary for these features)"

If with loom they mean the kick harness, it sounds to me like this one actually does use the Neo Geo port for six buttons. So, if I overlook something, please explain the mistake in my thoughts.

(The problem is that I still never held a supergun in my own hands. Maybe most of my questions could be answered automatically if I actually saw for myself how this stuff works.)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#309247 - 05/23/13 08:58 PM

Well, this has been said before, but bears repeating: "There is no one supergun."

Understand what a supergun is, and you'll understand why:

A supergun is all the wiring and power distribution inside a normal arcade cabinet. Instead of a 15KHz arcade monitor, a supergun will contain an encoder board to output to a TV or to a computer monitor.

This means that there's literally a million different ways to build a supergun, with a million different sets of features. If you can find one that's designed to work with the various Capcom kick harnesses (there are several) it's possible to make things work, but I am unaware of any NeoGeo controller that is natively six buttons and would work well with a Capcom fighter without heavily modifying the pad.

---

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#309249 - 05/23/13 09:24 PM

> Well, this has been said before, but bears repeating: "There is no one supergun."

I know. That's why I was talking about a specific standard gamepad port as shown in one specific supergun that I linked.

> If you can find one that's designed to work
> with the various Capcom kick harnesses (there are several) it's possible to make
> things work, but I am unaware of any NeoGeo controller that is natively six buttons
> and would work well with a Capcom fighter without heavily modifying the pad.

For me, it doesn't have to be specifically a Neo Geo gamepad. I was talking more about the port that those gamepads use. I got the assumption that the "Neo Geo port" is identical to the standard DB15 port. And I thought that a DB15 port can support all these buttons.

If that's not the case, please correct me. And please tell me if for this specific supergun:
there would be any way to use any six button gamepad (and access all six buttons on it).

If it is the case that Neo Geo port = DB15, then this guy:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNFUh_gwxI
(go to 3:44)
customized a Sega Saturn gamepad with a DB15 cable. Now, how much did he customize it? Did he just build in that headphone jack or did he actually edit the gamepad in a huge way to map all the buttons the way he mentions them? Or, in short: Would it be possible to use that very gamepad with this supergun:
? And if yes, how much work did the customizing of that controller require? Would it be a mundane task for a technician to do the same or did the guy in the video do something really complicated here?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3491