View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

usmanov
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/09/13
Send PM

Is this true emulation or an issue?
#308873 - 05/18/13 03:19 PM

I'm very new to MAME and i'm trying to get the software working. Started playing a classic - Double Dragon.
I play for two minutes until the giant breaks through the wall, and suddenly everything is really slow.

Can't handle that big sprite or whatever?
My question. Is this the way the arcade was? Or is my emulation not set up properly.

It produces the same result on an old computer as well as on a new one. (Tested on a AMD Sempron 2800+ / Intel i5)

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: usmanov]
#308874 - 05/18/13 03:24 PM

> I'm very new to MAME and i'm trying to get the software working. Started playing a
> classic - Double Dragon.
> I play for two minutes until the giant breaks through the wall, and suddenly
> everything is really slow.
>
> Can't handle that big sprite or whatever?
> My question. Is this the way the arcade was? Or is my emulation not set up properly.
>
> It produces the same result on an old computer as well as on a new one. (Tested on a
> AMD Sempron 2800+ / Intel i5)

it's the way the original technos pcb played: veeeeery slow when many characters were displayed at once
there is a bootleg which plays definitely better (I don't remember if it's ddragonb or ddragonba...)

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#308879 - 05/18/13 04:41 PM

> Is this the way the arcade was?

yea. if u want to make it run 'better' in mame, do the following:

1. enable cheats (set cheat 1 in mame.ini)
2. load double dragon in mame
3. enter mame confg menu (default key TAB)
4. go into the Slider Controls menu
5. where it says Overclock CPU: maincpu and Overclock CPU: sub, set them both to 200%
6. slowdown is now very noticeably reduced when there are lots of enemies on the screen

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#308916 - 05/19/13 04:19 AM

Also when in doubt. YouTube it out.
Just make sure it's the original PCB your watching of course.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#308918 - 05/19/13 04:31 AM

> I'm very new to MAME and i'm trying to get the software working. Started playing a
> classic - Double Dragon.
> I play for two minutes until the giant breaks through the wall, and suddenly
> everything is really slow.

That is accurate to the original. The Double Dragon series in arcades is famous as some of the worst-programmed games of all time. The NES version, on allegedly far inferior 8-bit hardware, runs much better (and is the version most people fondly remember playing).

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#308922 - 05/19/13 06:53 AM

> > I'm very new to MAME and i'm trying to get the software working. Started playing a
> > classic - Double Dragon.
> > I play for two minutes until the giant breaks through the wall, and suddenly
> > everything is really slow.
>
> That is accurate to the original. The Double Dragon series in arcades is famous as
> some of the worst-programmed games of all time. The NES version, on allegedly far
> inferior 8-bit hardware, runs much better (and is the version most people fondly
> remember playing).

Yea, I remember the NES version.

Always had trouble with the guy wielding a machine gun at the end. Once you get past him, the other Lee is easy.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#308937 - 05/19/13 07:39 PM

> > I'm very new to MAME and i'm trying to get the software working. Started playing a
> > classic - Double Dragon.
> > I play for two minutes until the giant breaks through the wall, and suddenly
> > everything is really slow.
>
> That is accurate to the original. The Double Dragon series in arcades is famous as
> some of the worst-programmed games of all time. The NES version, on allegedly far
> inferior 8-bit hardware, runs much better (and is the version most people fondly
> remember playing).

Funny...I preferred the arcade over the NES, slowdowns and all.

One of the first cabinets I owned.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: italie]
#308940 - 05/19/13 07:47 PM

> > > I'm very new to MAME and i'm trying to get the software working. Started playing a
> > > classic - Double Dragon.
> > > I play for two minutes until the giant breaks through the wall, and suddenly
> > > everything is really slow.
> >
> > That is accurate to the original. The Double Dragon series in arcades is famous as
> > some of the worst-programmed games of all time. The NES version, on allegedly far
> > inferior 8-bit hardware, runs much better (and is the version most people fondly
> > remember playing).
>
> Funny...I preferred the arcade over the NES, slowdowns and all.
>
> One of the first cabinets I owned.

Am I the only one who never played the NES version but has fond memories of the C64 port?

Marcelo_20XX
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/13
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#308941 - 05/19/13 08:46 PM

Although I owned the NES version, its nowhere near as the original Arcade one. And slowdowns and all I still prefer the later, plus you can overclock it, run the bootleg or edit the source code to modify the speed of the CPUs directly on the source (so you don't have to overclock it every time you play the game, just don't post bugs with the modified exe).

And I don't remember fondly the NES version because at that time I thought it was exactly the same as the arcade one.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Marcelo_20XX]
#308945 - 05/19/13 09:49 PM

I owned the NES version like many other people did near my area and 2 player action was a lot of fun.

The box art was really detailed and awesome to look at. I remember it grabbing my attention when browsing monster walls at Toys R Us in the late 80's I think it was.

I miss those gigantic walls of games at the retail stores.

edcosta
15khz user
Reged: 05/25/07
Send PM

#308946 - 05/19/13 10:16 PM

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#308949 - 05/19/13 11:20 PM

> Funny...I preferred the arcade over the NES, slowdowns and all.

You're basically the exception that proves the rule. In the US, if you ask someone over 30 about Double Dragon back in the day, they always describe the NES version. Same with Rygar - I remember being excited and then horrified when it was added to MAME

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#308950 - 05/20/13 12:03 AM

> so you don't have to overclock it
> every time you play the game

you could set the level of overclocking to what you like using the cheat/sliders method, then save your game (default SHIFT F7)

then, whenever u load your save state (default F7), it remembers your overclock values

Marcelo_20XX
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/13
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: grog]
#308954 - 05/20/13 02:30 AM

Or as I post earlier you can overclock it directly in the source. As long as is for private use I don't see the harm on that.

And I am not saying that the NES Double Dragon wasn't awesome but I am referring to the deceptive campaign in my country to sell the game. It was marketed with the slogan of "Bring the Arcade to your home" and when I finally bought it I was totally pissed and disappointed so naturally I oversaw its redeeming points.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#308960 - 05/20/13 04:38 AM

> You're basically the exception that proves the rule. In the US, if you ask someone
> over 30 about Double Dragon back in the day, they always describe the NES version.

Prior to it being added to MAME, I probably only played the arcade version of Double Dragon 2-3 times. When it was new and hot, I remember lines 4 and 5 deep to play it. I didn't have the time or the patience. Once the world moved on to Street Fighter style fighting games, it disappeared from the arcades pretty quickly.

> Same with Rygar - I remember being excited and then horrified when it was added to
> MAME

There were a handful of NES ports that went above and beyond their source material, like Rygar and Bionic Commando. Someday I'm gonna revive Portmania and do a write up about that.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#308961 - 05/20/13 05:04 AM

> > Funny...I preferred the arcade over the NES, slowdowns and all.
>
> You're basically the exception that proves the rule. In the US, if you ask someone
> over 30 about Double Dragon back in the day, they always describe the NES version.
> Same with Rygar - I remember being excited and then horrified when it was added to
> MAME

Heh... I was gonna post the same thing as italie yesterday. Loved the arcade version.

I even wrote a short story based on it in Creative Writing class in 12th grade (before the NES version came out).

I'll have to dig that up and post it online.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: DMala]
#308963 - 05/20/13 05:21 AM

Konami was somewhat famous for doing that-- I'd argue most of Konami's NES ports were superior to the arcade originals, with better tuned level design and/or gameplay.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#308964 - 05/20/13 05:23 AM

>
> MAME

Rygar without a doubt, NES version. The Double Dragon thing might be biased by it being one of four machines in my local hangout as a kid.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#309000 - 05/21/13 12:35 AM

> > > Funny...I preferred the arcade over the NES, slowdowns and all.
> >
> > You're basically the exception that proves the rule. In the US, if you ask someone
> > over 30 about Double Dragon back in the day, they always describe the NES version.
> > Same with Rygar - I remember being excited and then horrified when it was added to
> > MAME
>
>
> Heh... I was gonna post the same thing as italie yesterday. Loved the arcade version.
>
> I even wrote a short story based on it in Creative Writing class in 12th grade
> (before the NES version came out).
>
> I'll have to dig that up and post it online.

{presses pause on lurk mode}

Call me another exception. Arcade all the way, though I do remember the NES version of the music more oddly enough.

I might have felt the same way about Rygar, faults and all, had I originally played that one as an arcade game but for that one I was introduced to the NES version first.

How about Ninja Gaiden? The NES version is better than the arcade but I was actually a little disappointed in it because it was so different. I did eventually get the original in the Amiga game Shadow Warriors so it was no big deal.

{lurk mode reestablished}

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Qun Mang]
#309001 - 05/21/13 01:57 AM

Losing the "larger than life" arcade graphics always put an aura of disappointment on the ports even if the gameplay was better. I liked both Double Dragons and think the gameplay was good on both but it's really impressive what they were able to do on that NES port. I remember the first day I played it, a friend got it right when it came out and it had me glued to the tv for hours. As for it being "better", not really imo, but it was great. For Rygar, the arcade version plays like a freaking prototype (wtf are the items even doing) and the NES port was basically a masterpiece on the system, one of the best NES games. I never got into Ninja Gaiden in the arcade.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#309010 - 05/21/13 04:52 AM

> > > Funny...I preferred the arcade over the NES, slowdowns and all.
> >
> > You're basically the exception that proves the rule. In the US, if you ask someone
> > over 30 about Double Dragon back in the day, they always describe the NES version.
> > Same with Rygar - I remember being excited and then horrified when it was added to
> > MAME
>
> Rygar without a doubt, NES version. The Double Dragon thing might be biased by it
> being one of four machines in my local hangout as a kid.

Add Strider and Bionic Commando to the "NES version is more fun" list.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Firehawke]
#309065 - 05/21/13 09:47 PM

> Konami was somewhat famous for doing that-- I'd argue most of Konami's NES ports were
> superior to the arcade originals, with better tuned level design and/or gameplay.

Not Gradius's. The arcade version is far superior to its NES counterpart.

The guy who programmed the NES port did a terrible job. He even admitted as much, and thus, the Konami Code was born.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Master O]
#309103 - 05/22/13 03:54 AM

You're right about Gradius being a weaker port (whereas Contra, Rush'n'Attack, and many others came out better) but you have the origins of the Konami Code wrong.

He created the code because the game was too difficult for him to complete during the coding and testing phases, and he needed a debug code to make the game more manageable for his skill level.

Oddly enough, I personally learned the Konami code from an arcade machine.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Firehawke]
#309118 - 05/22/13 06:57 AM

> You're right about Gradius being a weaker port (whereas Contra, Rush'n'Attack, and
> many others came out better) but you have the origins of the Konami Code wrong.
>
> He created the code because the game was too difficult for him to complete during the
> coding and testing phases, and he needed a debug code to make the game more
> manageable for his skill level.
>
> Oddly enough, I personally learned the Konami code from an arcade machine.

Which arcade game? It probably wouldn't have been Gradius/Nemesis, but I dunno if the Konami code was in the arcade versions of Gradius or not.

Maybe that programmer should've reprogrammed the NES port to make it easier... xD

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Is this true emulation or an issue? new [Re: Master O]
#309144 - 05/22/13 06:56 PM

Playchoice-10 version of Gradius. The manual on the top screen's last page tells you the full powerup and continue codes. Later, when I discovered that the PC10 was just a marketing gimmick for the NES, I also discovered other Konami games supported the same code.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#309440 - 05/28/13 06:55 AM

>
> MAME

I only know of DD and Rygar from seeing them at the local lunch pizza place in high school. Thought DD was pretty cool and fun. Thought Rygar blew chunks. Still do. Capcom, for the win.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3103