MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tape
#308127 - 05/01/13 03:47 AM

Kevin Eshbach

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tape new [Re: keshbach1]
#308136 - 05/01/13 05:04 AM

Holy shit... Just watching that, I got a watery feeling in the pit of my stomach when the plane started to roll. I'd have pissed myself for sure seeing that in person from that close.

EDIT: I just realized there is apparently an open mic on that recording. If you crank it up you can hear a muffled boom when the plane hits. Which means the dude in the truck watched that in near silence. You can hear a little bit exhaled breath after the plane hits, and on the original LiveLeak video (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c32_1367332518) he mutters "Fuck" under his breath right at the very end. That's pretty hardcore. If you can watch something like that and not even shout an expletive, it's probably time to head back stateside for a while.

Edited by DMala (05/01/13 05:40 AM)

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tape new [Re: keshbach1]
#308137 - 05/01/13 05:06 AM

> Kevin Eshbach

One of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Check your load, watch your pitch when you are taking off heavy...

Feel bad for the pilots. No way they were getting out of that jam at such a low altitude. Very impressed they were able to get 'er level at all before hitting the ground.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tape new [Re: italie]
#308140 - 05/01/13 05:29 AM

> Feel bad for the pilots. No way they were getting out of that jam at such a low
> altitude. Very impressed they were able to get 'er level at all before hitting the
> ground.

Friends of mine with pilot experience indicate the video is basically a textbook example of the center of gravity going horribly wrong, probably due to cargo not being strapped down securely and sliding around. They manage to start to correct for it (which is super difficult) but doing so caused whatever was loose to slide in another direction. Brrrrrrrr.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tape new [Re: R. Belmont]
#308141 - 05/01/13 05:39 AM

> > Feel bad for the pilots. No way they were getting out of that jam at such a low
> > altitude. Very impressed they were able to get 'er level at all before hitting the
> > ground.
>
> Friends of mine with pilot experience indicate the video is basically a textbook
> example of the center of gravity going horribly wrong, probably due to cargo not
> being strapped down securely and sliding around. They manage to start to correct for
> it (which is super difficult) but doing so caused whatever was loose to slide in
> another direction. Brrrrrrrr.

Completely agree, looks very much like his load shifted.

I made it 70% of the way to my A&P, and then switched career paths after some long and hard thought as to "What if my wrench is responsible for xxx...". Seems odd to 180 on such a silly what-if, but it's situations like this [among others] that make glad I don't fly anything I produce.

I know I wouldn't want to be any of the guys that loaded that plane...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tape new [Re: italie]
#308142 - 05/01/13 05:47 AM

> I know I wouldn't want to be any of the guys that loaded that plane...

It is kind of comforting to know that the absolute worst I could do is create a little extra work for my coworkers, no mistake I could make would ever get them killed.

Although, I could probably get a few of their heads to explode if I tried hard enough.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1737