MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Which latest mame version can run on a Pentium Celeron
#307843 - 04/26/13 12:56 PM

i am building a mame cabinet,but my pc to use with it for now its a pentium celeron with windows me on it,which is the latest mame version that can run games at a decet framerate on this old rig ?:)

Third Reich Fox
Let's hug some kittens!!!
Reged: 02/21/13
Loc: Next stop the pet shop
Send PM

Re: Which latest mame version can run on a Pentium Celeron new [Re: Solstar]
#307845 - 04/26/13 02:14 PM

Anything before the major MAME overhaul should work ok.... Try 0.106 or earlier.

Otherwise try Raine or FBA emulators as they run faster.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which latest mame version can run on a Pentium Celeron new [Re: Third Reich Fox]
#307851 - 04/26/13 03:22 PM

any raine or fba version,or even here,older versions as well?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#307853 - 04/26/13 03:57 PM

> windows me

Personally, I'd scrounge up a copy of either 98SE or Win2k for that rig. Failing that I'd probably give Linux a try. Windows ME was a nightmare that's best left dead and buried.

Third Reich Fox
Let's hug some kittens!!!
Reged: 02/21/13
Loc: Next stop the pet shop
Send PM

#307854 - 04/26/13 04:51 PM

Well, i just spent the last hour experimenting with an old netbook thats been sitting on my shelf for months.

Dont know how your PC specs would compare to this thing (except for your OS which you said is me) but this is what i found out....

Specs:

Samsung N130 Netbook
Windows XP SP3
1.6GHz CPU (Single core)
1GB RAM
INTEL 945 Graphics (integrated stock)

MAME 0.136 TEST:

CPS1, CPS2, NEOGEO and similar work fine.
CPS3 runs at around 89% speed.

CAVE 1st Gen (Dodonpachi etc.) runs 100% speed.

Raiden Fighters runs at ~95% speed.

Forget anything that runs in 3D like VSPSX or PSARC95 based games.

Konami GX and Taito F3 didn't run above 70% speed with auto-frame skip enabled either.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which latest mame version can run on a Pentium Celeron new [Re: DMala]
#307855 - 04/26/13 05:07 PM

i did that before,and i'll tell you the strange story:

i uninstalled windows me some time ago and installed win 98 se as many people suggested me.well,lo and behold,for some reasons,the pc was SLOWER ,with win 98 se than me.i have a small hd in there,so i tried just the usual 3 games i usually play on it,two of them are 3dfx compatible games that would've used my voodoo 3.on win 98 se they were utterly unplayable,slow beyond any limit.while with me they play very fluidly even at higher resolutions.i thought that maybe when i had me the first time i used some "accelarators" or any app of that sort.it turned out i was wrong.i re-installed win me and voila'...games are playable and fast again.i'll pay 1000 dollars to anyone who can explain me this black magic

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which latest mame version can run on a Pentium Celeron new [Re: Third Reich Fox]
#307856 - 04/26/13 05:08 PM

hmmi would've expected that kind of results,but probably on mine they will be somehwat lower

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#307867 - 04/26/13 07:31 PM

> i'll pay 1000
> dollars to anyone who can explain me this black magic

You probably didn't install chipset drivers for your motherboard after installing Windows 98 SE. Either that or video drivers. Either one can make a massive difference in performance.

Windows ME probably shipped with chipset drivers for your motherboard since it came out later. It probably shipped with usable video drivers for whatever card you have too.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which latest mame version can run on a Pentium Celeron new [Re: krick]
#307873 - 04/26/13 09:56 PM

i have a voodoo 3,and i still have the original cd with drivers,so you can be sure i installed the video card drivers on both win 98 se and me.i THINK it might be as you said about the chipset drivers,but they really impact the speed of the machine that bad?as in;3d games not even "moving" on win 98 se,and then on ME playing Shogo on almost maximum settings?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1791