Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Ordering an Adapter from Japan
#306622 - 03/31/13 05:08 PM

A couple things.....

1st off if I try to order this I get a message saying it can't be shipped to my region when I go through checkout.

2nd the price difference in these 2 things

Again, 96 Yen

10,000 Yen

I'm assuming the drastic ridiculous price difference is due to either it being collectable or the addition of the AV wires.

I've already looked into getting an Adapter that steps up / steps down the 120 V & 100 V difference, as well as a AV Cable 3.5mm Plug to 3 RCA Plugs from 'Merica!

The purpose for wanting to acquire the Adapter is to have a power source for a 'Plug & Play' device (Taito Nostalgia 1).

If anyone has any other suggestions for how I might get an adapter to power the PnP game - I'd appreciate it.

FYI, No, I didn't even bother adding the AV+Adapter (+$100 USD) to my cart and try to check-out. I'm not that desperate.

FYI2, the PnP game apparently will ship to my region. ....Makes me baffled.

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Ordering an Adapter from Japan new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#306626 - 03/31/13 06:05 PM Attachment: 12345.jpg 87 KB (0 downloads)

If you are just looking for something to power it, I use a universal kit from Radio Shack 273-1662 for some stuff, you can adjust the power and connectors.

I think Amazon Japan won't export games, I read that somewhere, so maybe it's anything in the gaming category. Don't know.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Ordering an Adapter from Japan new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306627 - 03/31/13 06:05 PM Attachment: 67890.jpg 86 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Ordering an Adapter from Japan new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306634 - 03/31/13 08:05 PM

> If you are just looking for something to power it, I use a universal kit from Radio
> Shack 273-1662 for some stuff, you can adjust the power and connectors.
>
> I think Amazon Japan won't export games, I read that somewhere, so maybe it's
> anything in the gaming category. Don't know.

I'm pretty sure I have one of those somewhere. If not -I can definitely get one.

Would I still have to use a converter to step down the voltage from 120V to 100V?
Or since it's 'adapting' to DC -then maybe that wouldn't matter? [/stupid questions]

I still haven't seen any specs on what that "forbidden" adapter would output. 9 volts, 12? I'm presuming being able to read Japanese would help in this situation. Not sure if I should worry about Amps and all that. Maybe it won't matter either.

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#306635 - 03/31/13 08:09 PM

I don't really know the answers but I assume only the output setting and connector piece matter to the item you are powering. I've had to crank it up one step past the setting an item called for before to get something to work stable, that's about the only extra advice I have on it.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#306651 - 04/01/13 02:06 AM

> > If you are just looking for something to power it, I use a universal kit from Radio
> > Shack 273-1662 for some stuff, you can adjust the power and connectors.
> >
> > I think Amazon Japan won't export games, I read that somewhere, so maybe it's
> > anything in the gaming category. Don't know.
>
> I'm pretty sure I have one of those somewhere. If not -I can definitely get one.
>
>
> Would I still have to use a converter to step down the voltage from 120V to 100V?
> Or since it's 'adapting' to DC -then maybe that wouldn't matter? [/stupid questions]
>
>
> I still haven't seen any specs on what that "forbidden" adapter would output. 9
> volts, 12? I'm presuming being able to read Japanese would help in this situation.
> Not sure if I should worry about Amps and all that. Maybe it won't matter either.

If you can simplify what you are trying to do I can help. I'm not following exactly what you are trying to accomplish...hard to follow with the links

If you are looking to get that game-pad running, you are on the right track with the AV cable. The power is going to be a bit tricky due to the whole "not knowing the voltage" thing. Do NOT worry about stepping down from 110 to 100. Doesn't matter. Just pick up a radio shack converter like smit said. Make sure it has 3.3/5/9/12. Start with 3.3 v and step your way up till it works. Don't hang out on lower voltages for too long if it does not work, you don't want to brown-out any cheaply designed circuitry. Keep the converter at 1000-2000mA.

I'm betting it'll be a 5v source, but 12v is the next guess.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Ordering an Adapter from Japan new [Re: italie]
#306660 - 04/01/13 05:26 AM

> If you can simplify what you are trying to do I can help. I'm not following exactly
> what you are trying to accomplish...hard to follow with the links
>
> If you are looking to get that game-pad running, you are on the right track with the
> AV cable. The power is going to be a bit tricky due to the whole "not knowing the
> voltage" thing. Do NOT worry about stepping down from 110 to 100. Doesn't matter.
> Just pick up a radio shack converter like smit said. Make sure it has 3.3/5/9/12.
> Start with 3.3 v and step your way up till it works. Don't hang out on lower voltages
> for too long if it does not work, you don't want to brown-out any cheaply designed
> circuitry. Keep the converter at 1000-2000mA.
>
> I'm betting it'll be a 5v source, but 12v is the next guess.

Yeah, I'm looking to power the game-pad/Plug & Play game (the Taito Nostalgia 1). My concern was over it being a product intended for use in Japan - thus the Voltage "issue" with the source of power. But apparently that won't be an issue.

The thing with the links was, 1) how I wasn't allowed to order the 'recommended' adapter since it couldn't be shipped to anywhere outside of Japan (for reasons I still can't figure out). And 2) why the adapter alone was 96 Yen, but the adapter + AV connector was 10,000 Yen.

The other links were for the voltage converter - if powering the adapter was going to be an issue, and the AV connector with 3.5 mm jack, which would cost something like $4 or $5 USD (way cheaper than +$100.00 USD).

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#306667 - 04/01/13 06:10 AM

> Yeah, I'm looking to power the game-pad/Plug & Play game (the Taito Nostalgia 1). My
> concern was over it being a product intended for use in Japan - thus the Voltage
> "issue" with the source of power. But apparently that won't be an issue.

Not at all unless you use an adapter from Japan, but that would be pointless unless the game uses some type of proprietary power plug for the adapter that you can't get locally.

Before you go shopping for an adapter (for any kind of equipment) you need to find out what the polarity (if the device you'll be powering requires DC - AC has no polarity obviously) and the required voltage is, then buy an adapter that has the right size + type of plug, polarity and voltage. Some adapters have switchable polarity and voltage.

If the game requires 400mA just make sure the adapter can provide a minimum of 400mA. If it's rated higher that's great, that means it won't get hot when in use.

S

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Adapter specs :-D new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#307235 - 04/13/13 10:40 AM

http://changevworld.com/letsplay/lets_23.jpg

5 Volt, Positive Polarity!

.4 Amps

Edit: Wait a minute... (description of universal adapter) Regulated DC power output: 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V, and 12V.

No '5-Volts'. ....Uhhhhh. *wonders if he's up a creek*.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (04/13/13 10:48 AM)

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Adapter specs :-D new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#307238 - 04/13/13 12:51 PM

> http://changevworld.com/letsplay/lets_23.jpg
>
> 5 Volt, Positive Polarity!
>
> .4 Amps
>
>
> Edit: Wait a minute... (description of universal adapter) Regulated DC power output:
> 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V, and 12V.
>
>
> No '5-Volts'. ....Uhhhhh. *wonders if he's up a creek*.

4.5V should get the job done, as it looked like U5 was regulating down to 3V anyway.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Adapter specs :-D new [Re: italie]
#307280 - 04/14/13 04:04 PM

> 4.5V should get the job done, as it looked like U5 was regulating down to 3V anyway.

Where is U5?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Adapter specs :-D new [Re: redk9258]
#307289 - 04/14/13 10:45 PM

> > 4.5V should get the job done, as it looked like U5 was regulating down to 3V
> anyway.
>
> Where is U5?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/userfiles/307173-SAM_0275.JPG

Assuming everything is running 3V, as that is the voltage the flash seemed to be spec'd at.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Amps? new [Re: italie]
#307303 - 04/15/13 04:55 AM

The official adapter puts out 0.4 Amps, but the adapter I've ordered puts out 1.5 Amps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068U44I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

eta: *thinks to self* Or is that max # of amps? Seems like... eh,... -_-

Edited by Tomu Breidah (04/15/13 05:02 AM)

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Amps? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#307306 - 04/15/13 05:28 AM

> The official adapter puts out 0.4 Amps, but the adapter I've ordered puts out 1.5
> Amps.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068U44I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
>
> Unless I'm reading it wrong.
>
> eta: *thinks to self* Or is that max # of amps? Seems like... eh,... -_-

If your circuit isn't damaged or shorted in any way (it shouldn't be) you can supply as many amps as you want. The board will only draw what it needs. (.4, etc). The only danger comes into play if your board ~does~ get shorted somehow, it can go poof faster with more amperage at the ready. Not really a concern here IMO.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1800